Guess what I need now!

Fiatpwr

True Classic
After a short drive today, I went to change the oil. Half a turn and the plug falls out. Totally stripped. I should have known something was up from all the vise grip marks all over the plug.

Grrrrrr.

I am so disappointed with this purchase right now.
After I source a new pan, I have half a mind to sell this car and look for another with a known back ground.

Jon

Vent the frustration, then step back and reassess.

It usually takes a couple of months to go through the car and take care of the problems the PO let slip through the cracks. When you're done going through the ENTIRE car, you'll KNOW what you have. It takes time to build trust.

Trouble is, I have waaaay too much money in this car. Every week is another $300 bucks.

I guess it's pretty typical to buy an hobby car and find it's not what you thought it was.

No need for a new pan!

1030.jpg

#1030 on this page: http://www.cgenterprises.com/drain_plugs_oversize_repair.htm

That was mean. Really really mean... :eek:mg: :) If it wasn't so sad it would have been very funny. Is it gold plated?

They do have some good alternatives there. Perhaps the oversize with piggyback as a way to keep the insert from having to be removed multiple times. Not my favorite but at least it will be functional until a new one can be found.

Karl

:sigh:

Where is the open mouth and insert foot emoticon when you need it?

Alternative Drain plug.

HI Jon.
I had this same thing happen to my '87, and I can tell you that using a Porsche drain plug will work fine. It has the same thread but is longer, so it fits deeper then the Fiat plug, plus it also has a magnet:grin:

I discovered this when I was changing the oil on my '87 and the previous owner's had really done a number on the pan and plug. Doing the oil change at work and needing to drive home. I grabbed what was in stock on on the shelf. It will go right in and use threads that the Fiat plug never touched.
Part #94410719701
You can get the plug here for $10.00
http://www.vertexauto.com/listitems.aspx
4513.jpg

Back