kyb struts

Gabriele

Low Mileage
hi, I'm Gabriele from Italy and i've an 81 X carburetted.

I want to replace my original Way Assauto struts and i've find two options:
-Osrav new Struts: these are more expensive: 150€ for one strut.
-Kyb Gr.2 available from ebay US.
My answer is:
Fuel Injected X1/9 struts are 35mm lower than european cars, Kyb gr2 or excel g are for european or US fuel injectec Xs ?
Kyb GR2 23004 struts

thanks for replies and best regards
Gabriele

Ciao Gabriele...

Here is a listing for the KYB strut at Summitracing.com:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/kyb-233004/overview/

P/N 233003 is for the front and 233004 is for the rear. I know of no other manufacturer in the U.S. that makes a direct bolt in strut for our cars. These are the only available struts for use on all North American (NA) X1/9's from '74 to '88. If you want MORE specifications, sometimes Summit can supply them if you email them.

As for the measurements you mention... When I wrote this article many moons ago I did find that one of our members wrote the overall shaft length was 151mm and I found that mine was 180mm.

See the first comment here:

http://xwebforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=LoweringFrontEnd

This MIGHT BE the 35mm difference you mention, I don't know otherwise.

All my experience lately has been with the KYB's that measured 180mm. I'm also pretty sure there should not be a difference in the later models like yours, as the bumper laws should have been global. You can always shorten the rod as well to FIT in case there is a problem... we shorten ours in order to lower the stance.

Hope I understood what you were asking and explained this well...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Gabriele:

the US available KYB's are gas pressureized, US spec, and will likely RAISE the car slightly above US spec until they "break in" (too much gas pressure).

Hope this helps.

I think Gabriele is refering to the rear spring platform height. there are two heights that this spring platform was manufactured at, according to the OE manufacturer Way Assuto.

Perhaps someone should measure their rear KYB's from the top of the mounting ears, to the base of the spring platform, and provide this measurement, then Gabriele can do the same measurement to his original Way Assuto's and decide if they are correct for his application.

SteveC

Not only that - the lower mount (holes) "may" be in a different position relative to the lower perch.

Most USA X owners think that FIAT raised the front of the car to meet some USA bumper regulation.

After closely looking at many photos of European Xs, IMO FIAT in fact lowered the rear of the car for the USA market.

That's exactly what I said Myron... the lower spring perch is positioned differently on the strut tube, the OE manufacturer Way Assuto's parts book definitely lists two different rear struts for 1979 on... and the spring perch is the only difference.

the easy point of reference is the top of the mounting ears, along the flat of the strut tube, to where the perch is welded... a straight line and the most accurate measure.

KYB only list the one rear strut type for 79 on, so for some applications the KYB part must be incorrect.

Dan, quite possible, but that doesn't make much sense ... your USA federal bumper and headlight height laws set the height required... dropping the back wouldn't raise the front by very much at all... fitting longer front springs (as the did to 124's and 128's) makes more sense.

SteveC

Correct

On the 1500 cars, the carbed euro cars have different rear struts that are taller. No idea why.
I think those cars sit faily flat w/o the high nose, but generally look like they are fitted with an offroad suspension. :)

Since euro and US 1300s had the same ride height incl the high nose, I can't think of a reason for the difference.

That's exactly what I said Myron...

SteveC

Sorry, I missed where you were referencing the measurement - my bad, we were on the same page.

I did have Konis that had a longer tube than North American, and of course early struts vs. 5spd struts had slightly different stampings for the lower mounting ears (to clear the CV).

Hi Gabriele:

the US available KYB's are gas pressureized, US spec, and will likely RAISE the car slightly above US spec until they "break in" (too much gas pressure).

Hope this helps.

I'm not too sure about this - the strut doesn't hold the car up - the spring does. There should be more than enough weight to settle the strut once the car is on the ground.

thanks

Thank you very much guys, Steve have centered the problem.

i prefer to look new Osrav struts, because i don t want buy 2 excel g for front (gas) and two Osrav oil type for rear. (Original coils).
Please, see my post here, there are 2 links and the second is the Osrav's catalogue:

http://www.icsunonove.it/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7269

Osrav manufacture new oil struts OEM type for X1/9 (1300 1500 and 1500 USA FI) and many Italian old cars. I sent this link at Matt Brannon for help my American friends to find new Struts.

thanks and sorry for my bad English :)
Gabriele.

Gabriele,

I know the OSRAV brand well, they are made in Treviso, in Veneto... very close to where my Father was born!!

Once they also did reconditioned dampers as well as new, and also sold seal and shaft kits for older models (back in the 1980's for models made in the 40's and 50's) ...my Father was the Australian importer for quite a few years.

I doubt these dampers will be reconditioned due to the availability of cores in Italy, so new production stock is nice to have.

Good to know there is another avenue for X19 owners, as for me the KYB's don't appeal for their ride comfort... but that's 100% a personal preference.

Ulix,

I've always put the higher spring perch down to the heavier later model cars... add the taller and heavier 1500 engine, the heavier five speed gearbox, the heavier axles and CV's, air conditioning and a catalytic convertor... which is all well behind the cars centreline. So to keep the spring rates the same (or else there may be a frequency mismatch from front to rear) they raised the perch...it always seemed the most logical reason to me...but it's purely an opinion, no hard factory data.

I once had all three types of rear struts lined up and measured... s1, s2 and tall s2... that was several computers ago and I can't find the pictures...but from memory the Australian spec five speed has exactly the same mount (bolt centres) to perch length between S1 and S2, so the odd struts that came in with a parts shipment from overseas we put down to being for US models/air conditioned etc etc which were heavier in the rear...this was in about 1985 before we saw the Bertone models in Australia which had air con and cat conv ... prior to then these were not features on our X19's.

SteveC

That would make sense, but...

...it seems that late euro carbed 1500s had the taller strut, while US 1500s had the shorter ones, even though these cars are the heavier ones with FI, A/C, etc.

So does anyone have a standard, known original to the car, USA spec strut to measure? and get a part number from (stamped into the strut body)

In Australia the rear OE strut 79 on is a Fiat 4395950 part number (manufactured by way assuto)

it has the same length as the rear for a 1300 (bolts to spring perch) even though the 79 has a different design of lower ears, the length is still the same.

SteveC

Rear strut query...!

.....In Australia the rear OE strut 79 on is a Fiat 4395950 part number (manufactured by way assuto)

it has the same length as the rear for a 1300 (bolts to spring perch) even though the 79 has a different design of lower ears, the length is still the same

Hi Steve, I have a NOS rear strut in my stash of "maybe will need" parts.
Part no. is 4425932 (packaged in a genuine FiatAuto part box). I bought this strut years ago when a Fiat dealer was closing down, on the understanding it suited a '78 1300 X.
This p/no. does not gel with your number quoted above.
Can you confirm if the rear strut I have is actually for a '78 1300 X?

cheers, Ian - NZ

That's because the number I mentioned is for a series 2 (5 speed)

the "tall" strut is marked with part number 4434848

yours is a four speed.

but the original unsuperceeded strut part numbers for a series 1 are
4425931 (F) and 4425932 (R)

But you can open the box and look... stamped on the strut should be the part number (never trust whats written by hand on the box or packing lables!!) and the type code... which will be 128AS, for a 128 spyder (an X19)

SteveC

Last edited:
Good stuff - thanks!

... stamped on the strut should be the part number (never trust whats written by hand on the box or packing lables!!) and the type code... which will be 128AS, for a 128 spyder (an X19)...

Yep, popped open the box - the p/number on the strut housing reads 4425932.
2nd line reads POST 128 BS.OC.1

Would hate to think I had been storing this bugger for years, if it had not been the correct unit!

cheers, Ian - NZ

Ian,

You know you need to find a partner for that strut... no point having just one, they should always be replaced in pairs...just saying.

POST. is posteriori, or rear in Italian. fronts would be marked ANT. for anteriori...

My bad 128BS too, not AS...

SteveC

Heh heh, good point Steve........!

.......You know you need to find a partner for that strut... no point having just one, they should always be replaced in pairs...just saying.....

.......but I might die before my X needs 2 of them! :dead:
But if I don't die before I need 'em, I know of a certain Ozzie guy who I just KNOW could come up with the goods for me!! :wink2:

cheers, Ian - NZ

Back