A/C on Euro X1/9s?

WhiteyM

True Classic
I just purchased Phil Ward's book on X1/9s and although I think it's very informative overall, it doesn't mention anything about A/C being an option. Does this mean that the only X1/9s with A/C were the later US models? What year did it become standard?

I assume A/C is generally NOT considered an asset on X's in view of the extra weight, clutter, and complexity, in addition to being somewhat out of "character" for the car.

A/C in UK and Europe

Air Condition was never sold as an option in the UK and the X1/9s in Europe with A/C seen in the car have been reimported from America

... and the X1/9s in Europe with A/C seen in the car have been reimported from America
In the very late years of production there was an option for German market to order a X with A/C. I think this option on late X1/9 was only possible for FI cars, so in UK you don´t find any A/C cars.
The price was about 2400 Marks (~1230 Euro), for some cars only 1200 Marks and for cars with color code 113 (yellow) this option was completely free :)

Hey Whitey...

I have NEVER seen A/C on an NA X1/9 either... one that WORKS that is!

HA!

But it would appear they were ONCE found on late models and MOSTLY in the NORTHEAST and CANADA where they are seldom needed. Even Gilles, who bought an '86 with 61 miles on it in the Bay Area got an A/C equipped car that blew warm air...

BUT... there is some hope... I just installed a supposedly BOLT-IN KIT on my '69 Vette that took three weeks and some fabrication... to find it works damn good and with the R134 Sanyo compressor... is probably 1/2 the load as compared to the older GM compressors.

I say all this 'cause... I'm THINKING about building a custom unit for BLACK TOOTH. One major mod would be to mount the very small (hot-rod) power unit up front against the firewall and just duct the air inside. After ripping out all the old heater, plumbing and valves etc... running both EXTENDED A/C lines and heater hoses to the power unit... the install would be a STAND-UP job from that point on. I think it would probably be about 50% EASIER than the hell I just went through installing one in this Vette!

Hey... I can be in Camarillo in an hour... want some help doing yours FIRST???

HA!

Thanks Tony

But I don't have an X right now and that's the reason for all my questions; I'm trying to figure out which model years are the ones I should be considering. Actually, I'm a hot rodder and would much prefer an X1/9 WITHOUT A/C.

This might help me in my quest: What was the first year A/C became standard on U.S. models?

Larry

Well... I'm a Hot Rodder also...

... only an OLD one!

And after 26 years BAKING in the SoCal sun in traffic... I now want a system that blows so cool and strong that having a top on won't matter!

Soooo... if you don't want A/C, why would you care when it first appeared? Easy to remove... especially for a YOUNG guy like you...

Thinking about it though, I don't believe I've ever seen one on a carbed model (working or not) and if that is true... then they would have first appeared in the mid-1980 timeframe when FI first appeared.

Tony,

I'm not as young a hotrodder as you probably think. Let's put it this way: I bought my first X in 1976. The car I owned just prior to that was a '66 Nova w/straight axle and 454 with a dual carb tunnel ram, fenderwell headers, etc. Quite a difference, but by the time I finished with the X it was a lot more fun and I never looked back.

Actually, you're right. I should seek out a pristine later model with A/C and then rip all the plumbing out; it would be like feeding raw meat to my inner barbarian. :excited:

I think ac was always available in the x. There is a 75 x that is local, and it has factory air. Ive seen others as well.

Actually, you're right. I should seek out a pristine later model with A/C and then rip all the plumbing out; it would be like feeding raw meat to my inner barbarian. :excited:

If you do that please send me the parts. I'll even pay shipping, being the good guy I am-- just to help you get that junk out of your way.

///Mike

"Gassers" are coming back ya know...

... especially for the street! Them... and the altered wheelbased FXers...

But alas, I am too YOUNG to know about such things... HA!

t-1.jpg

The '56 in the background was my DD... the T-Bucket was my first in about 1966, although not finished for another 30 years and by a friend of mine. I had it 19 years and he had it 11 before it landed on the street. He died 3 years later.

So, YOUNG MAN, let that be a lesson for all of us... move your arse and go get that car!

Also... use care in ripping that stuff out as good folks like ///Mike will pay top pennies for it to be shipped. Don't forget the wiring harness and control panels also.

I pulled all the a c out of an 87 x to put in my 74. But I recentely found this 75 with a c. The controls for the 75 will fit my car better, so Im gonna try and pill the ac off that one.

Back