Trying to upgrade ignition

FiatFunk

True Classic
Hey guys so I picked up this new electronic distributor from Vicks, trying to figure out how to connect it and if I need anything else to make really good spark and advance curve.
It has a red wire and a green wire coming out of it, whereas the original has a brown wire and a green wire. Should I just put green to green and red to brown and I'm in business? The connectors are different so ends will need to be changed.
Is this old coil good or should I replace it? I have this never used Mako coil for a 124 spider, secondary resistance is higher at 10.49, compared to the 7.57 on the stock coil. Somehow my multimeter doesn't read the primary resistance on either coil.
I heard I might need a companion module from a Yugo to get the most out of this?
Thanks
Greg

Attachments

• PXL_20240430_030004085.jpg
    PXL_20240430_030004085.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 29
  • PXL_20240430_025955227.jpg
    PXL_20240430_025955227.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 29
  • PXL_20240430_025943990.jpg
    PXL_20240430_025943990.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 25
Page says Bosch ign box no longer needed, dist includes control module, hook directly to coil.
Mako coil is for points, get proper electronic ign coil as recommended by vendor.

Mako coil is for points, get proper electronic ign coil as recommended by vendor.
The pictured Mako coil is for electronic ignition, at least the AEI200 124 coil pack type and it's one of the ones recommended by the vendor :) I wouldn't worry too much on the secondary resistance (all things being equal, it could indicate a higher turns ratio and bigger spark voltage), the primary side is what needs to match the module - that Mako coil it's spec'ed very low at 0.8 ohm. The vendor also recommended the Bosch red too and that's a low 1.5 ohm. If the the module can cope with the 0.8 ohm and has some decent dwell control, then you should get a decent a spark (you'll have to trust the vendor on this). I would make sure you have a good 12v feed to the coil via a hard start relay, not through the ignition switch, to avoid any new problems.

Last edited:
Got it all installed and running, easy. Didn't come with instructions but Vick emailed them right over, a simple red to +15 and green to - also the brown and white wire for the tach to the negative terminal on the coil. I am waiting for a water pump pulley so I didn't run it for long, just a quick test.

Back