Removing the seats

tfphoenix

King Phoenix
Hey guys is there a trick to getting the seats out? It appears to be a torx bolt down on the track but I cant get a ratchet down into it...

Slide the seat...

...all of the way forward and it should slide right off the front of the track. Check for a small spring under the middle of the seat, some cars have them and it needs to be removed first.

If your seat will not slide, check for debris (pennies or such) blocking the track.

Water had gotten into our project car during storage

The passenger seat came off once I removed the spare tire and used a sledge hammer on it

The drivers side took 2 hours, we had to rip the foam off the top of the seat, clear out rust / debris, then sledge the front of the frame.

.... i'd recommend greasing them well if they are off :)

You have an '86?

If it is like my '85, the seats do not slide off the rails, and there is no spring to remove. See this post. The bolts take a 6 mm Allen wrench, you are not going to get a ratchet one on the front bolts. A regular cheapie works fine, but I cut mine down for easier access:

DSC09712.JPG

Last edited:
If it is like mine, there is no spring to remove. First slide the seat all the way back. You'll see a bolt at the front end of each rail:

P1000285.JPG

Loosen (don't remove) each bolt a turn or two. Then slide the seat all the way forward and tilt the seat back forward. That will reveal the bolts at the rear of the tracks:

DSC09714.JPG

Remove both of the rear bolts. Slide the seat all the back again. Now, without pulling on the seat release handle, pull the seat and rails forward about 15- 20 mm, and you can lift the seat and rails up and out of the car. See pictures in this post.

When you install the seat again, put a shop towel or an old bath towel across the door sill, it is easy to scratch it when you are manoeuvering the seat into the car.

Removing the roof makes access much easier, but you probably did that already.

Last edited:
randolph that works great for 80 and newer cars. In fact those are fantastic pictures and it shows how clean your car is........YOu should be ashamed of not having more dirt behind there. However the older ones dont even have a bolt. I am not sure if they are welded down or what..

The main difference is that you do have bolts..

whether currently allen or torx in there. The earlier years have rails welded to the floor pan. You then lift up on the fore/aft adjustment arm and slide the seats forward until they come off the rails.

DSCF0003.jpg

Tom did you do the seat Belt interlock modification yet? If not for 19.95 we can send you one....:mallet:

Back