How to post thumbnails from Imageshack

JimD

Waiting for Godot...
I don't use Imageshack much anymore, but I do have an account from years ago. Here is my take on how to post thumbnails.

For this example lets assume that you are in the process of creating a new thread on Xweb and want to add a picture (or many pictures). You have entered the text and now your are ready to go get some pics. Here is what you do.

1. Open a new browser window (leaving your Xweb thread open and ready for action) and go to the main Imageshack web page. Click on the "My Images" button at the upper right which I have circled in YELLOW.
thumby_tutorial_1.jpg

2. You should now be looking at a your photo collection. Click on any picture and you will see that the border turns ORANGE. (Well, it looks orange to me.) I clicked on three pictures (circled in YELLOW) which all have the highlighted ORANGE border.
thumby_tutorial_2.jpg

3. Look under the "Action" menu at the top right of the page. Note that there is a count of the number of pictures you have selected circled in YELLOW. Further down the list of options is "Get code for Forums" circled in RED. Click on the "Get code for Forums" selection.
thumby_tutorial_3.jpg

4. After clicking on the "Get code for Forums" selection, you will see that the main Imageshack screen goes gray and a smaller dialog (circled in RED) is displayed on top. This new dialog has two sections. The first section (circled in YELLOW) contains the HTML code you need to paste into your Xweb post.
thumby_tutorial_4.jpg

5. To highlight the text in the first section, simply click anywhere inside the box. Imageshack will turn the section BLUE to indicate it has been selected.
thumby_tutorial_5.jpg

6. To copy the selected text, hover the mouse pointer over the highlighted text and click the RIGHT mouse button to display the pop up menu. Click on the "Copy" selection which I have circled in RED. Once you click on "Copy" the small pop up menu will disappear and the selected text will be in your paste buffer.
thumby_tutorial_6.jpg

7. Now we shift back to the Xweb forum browser window we started in, which has been patiently awaiting our return. I will use the creation of this thread as an example.
thumby_tutorial_7.jpg

8. Now use your Xweb browser windows paste feature to drop the text you copied earlier from the Imageshack browser window. The text will be placed wherever your cursor is located, so it will take some practice to hit the right spot.
thumby_tutorial_8.jpg

9. Step 8 above will drop in the preformatted text that will display the thumbnails of the pictures you selected from Imageshack. It will look like this when you paste it into your thread:
thumby_tutorial_9.jpg

10. It will look like this in the "Preview Post" option if you want to look at your handiwork before hitting "Submit New Thread".
thumby_tutorial_10.jpg

11. Now you can play around with it in preview a bit and put text between pics if desired. I added the text circled in YELLOW. Which would look like this in text mode:
thumby_tutorial_11.jpg

12. And will look like this in preview mode:
thumby_tutorial_12.jpg

13. So when you are happy with your work you can finally hit "Submit New Thread" and wait for the flames... err.. I mean wonderful camaraderie Xweb is known for.

Good luck and happy posting.

Things were going well until

I got to step 10. In preview I could not see the picture. Do I have something set wrong on my end of things? I was trying to post a picture on the workshop forum.

David

Hard to say David

I don't think there is anything in Xweb that needs to be set on your end for this to work.

When you executed step 10, did you still see the HTML lines as shown in step 9 in the "Preview" of the post? Or were they in BLUE like a set of links?

Cliff notes

Go to ImageShack ---> http://imageshack.us/

Click the browse button here

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Then go to your picture file from the pop up box...click on the photo to open and click on the Upload Now icon.

Once the picture is uploaded you will see this

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Then you left click to highlight the link type you want to post and right click copy into your thread :)

Success - I hope

Had some time to play. Photos would not work for me using JimD's method, however as you can see success with Greg's input.

Thanks to all,
David

Photo with Jim Young last October

testing

Hmmm... not sure what the difference is between your Xweb experience and mine David, but either set of instructions works fine for me. At least you got the pictures to post.

Back