Andrew's X19 restoration

Andrew Coles

Say no to rice
Hi all,

My old thread seems to have been closed, so I figured I'd continue with this new one. For newcomers, the rest of the saga can be found here: http://www.xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/919&highlight=andrew's

Contrary to popular belief, my X19 restoration is still actually happening. As you all know, priorities change and this has caused progress to slow with a lot of other things going on, but I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel! I'm actually really excited to hurry up and drive this thing!

DSC_001.jpg

With the engine in, the next step was to take it to have an exhaust built. I'm running PBS extractors, and have gone with stainless for the rest of the system. I'm thinking its going to be a bit loud as it is, so I'll probablly have to quiten it down with a bigger muffler. Here she sits on the trailer, about to leave for the exhaust. First time in natural light in a few years!

DSC_002.jpg

I took a punt and had the system built at a local place. The guy was nice enough, but I'm not completely sold on the system. I suspect I could have had a much nicer system built for the same money if I'd done a little more homework first. Ah well. Here she sits on the hoist.... it was hard dropping it off and walking away, its the first time anyone else has done any work on it not supervised by myself.

DSC_003.jpg

Here's the system on the car. Unfortunately it doesnt quite clear the rear grilles, so once it's driving I'll take it somewhere else to have it tweaked. It was my fault because I forgot to give the grilles to him, but then again he probably should have checked that out before welding. He also welded that tip on the end without checking. Each to his own, but I'm definelty not a fan of exhaust tips and will have it removed and a plain bit of staino welded on in its place when I can drive it to have it done. When was the last time you saw a proper racecar with an exhaust tip?

DSC_004.jpg

I gave up on my idea of trying to fix an old dash with sikaflex as it was taking far too long, and instead used this Series 1 dash we had lying around the place. I had to cut it a little bit to get it to fit over the chassis supports, I felt really guilty about hacking into a good S1 dash, but I figure that it can always be fixed back to stock again if needed. I fitted some little nutserts into the chassis and the dash mounts really well! Once the rest of the interior is finalised I'll rip it out and we'll trim it in black suede (sounds too show-car like I know, but it looks good. LeMans Porsche 917's and Ferrari 430 Scuderia's have a black suede dash).

DSC_005.jpg

I've finally got the rebuilt carbies mounted as well. Theyre Weber DCNF40's on a PBS manifold. And when you line it up, the intake trumpets will sit at exactly ear level to the driver.... hehe

DSC_007.jpg

DSC_006.jpg

Thanks for reading, with a bit of luck I'll have a startup video to show soon!

Andrew

I can't believe how nice you got those carbs to look. That is some nice ish. I am so crashing on your sofa when I holiday in Australia.

Ed

Been waiting for an update

and then bang ! There it is ! This looks amazing - your photoraphy is as good as your restoration skills ! Can't wait for the video too.

Thanks guys :)

Heh, yea the Camry didnt like it at all, particularly the auto trans. It's a V6 so its got the power, but if you put the foot down with the car on the trailer it would just cut out for a second or two. Luckily the exhaust shop was only about 5km away, so I just took it very slowly. Didnt tell Mum about that one....

And Ed, couch surfing is always welcome if you make it down under :)

Ohh

I've been waiting for this like Christmas
Its a winner. The work you've done is simply the best I've seen :clap:

Can't wait to see the rest and running of coerce :love:

Wow, looks amazing mate. Really like the minilites on it too! What are the specs of the wheels if you don't mind me asking and if possible could you let me know what they set you back?

Cheers, Dave

They are Performance Superlights, in 13x6" size. I'm not sure of any of the other details as I bought them from a friend who was running them on his 124 tarmac rally car. I paid $600 for 6 wheels with good condition but old Advans, however that was a few years ago now. I'll just be running them as track wheels with some old Avon Formula Ford slicks, I've refurbished a set of Rays Volk racing 3 piece rims in 13x6.5" size for the road.

oo-ray up she rises

Well done, Andrew!! I too have been awaiting this update to your awesome work. FInish'r up! Kudo's!

larry
'85 X

Time for another update :)

First, to get the ball rolling a quick pic of what she looks like now...

DSC_0004.jpg

It doesn't look like much, but I've been doing a lot of the small odds and ends jobs when I've had time. Test fitted the engine cover to work out how much space I've got to determine which air filters to use, fixed a few little brake problems, hooked up some of the wires onto the motor, put all the side windows, winder mechanisms and door locks in (a painful job!) and fixed the steering column where I accidentally overtightened a nut and broke off one of the press-in studs that holds the steering column to the chassis.

Oh, and you can also see the new track tyres - a set of used Avon Formula Ford slicks. I'm keen to try them out and see if they're any better than the Advan's we usually run. More grip but they'll wear out faster, might be a headache I don't need. At least they're the proper size now, I can get full steering articulation which makes it a lot easier to push the X around the shed lol.

DSC_0015.jpg

The dash is finished. In the end we opted not to trim it in suede because suede doesn't stretch, meaning it would be almost impossible to trim it and make it look professional. We used a foam backed material that is used to trim fixed back race seats (Velo, Sparco etc), so it it looks good and I'm hoping it will be more wear resistant than suede. I personally think it looks fantastic, and suits the theme I'm going for with the car. It was a lot cheaper than re-vinyling the dash too - I was quoted $1000 to re-vinyl, and this came in at under $70! Big thanks to my friend Michael who did the trimming work, his skills are remarkable and the result shows his considerable abilities.

DSC_0018.jpg

We also removed some of the vertical dividers that usually run around where the radio sits to give it a smoother look. These little parts break up the continuity of the dash, and I think it's a nice subtle change to remove them. I decided to keep the Series 2 switchgear for ease of wiring, plus as a bonus I think they look better than the big Series 1 rocker switches. I'm not going to run a stereo (the sound of Weber's is plenty enough for me!) and mounting the Series 2 panel actually worked well at filling in this space. They're pretty close to where they sit in the Series 2 dash, so I didn't need to change any wiring. Plug 'n play!

I've yet to decide what will fill the other two spare spots - one will probably be a master fuel pump switch and the other the button for the ejector seat... hehe.

DSC_0021.jpg

We made a bracket to mount the Series 1 heater controls in the console. I'm running a Series 2 heater box, but I've switched all the cables over to Series 1 because the Series 2 cables are designed to come out where I've got that bank of switches mounted (with a Series 1 dash there's not enough space between the back of the dash and chassis for the S2 cables anyway). I'm keeping the same physical location for the controls as in the Series 1, so all the cables are the perfect length. I'll make up a console for this and we'll trim it in a dark grey coloured suede or something like that.

DSC_0013.jpg

I also rebuilt the instrument binnacle - it wasn't the best one I had but it was the one that came from that car - call me sentimental but I spent so many hours looking at that tacho and speedo as I drove this car to school etc and I thought it would be fitting to keep it in it's new life! The thick white speedo and tacho needles were all warped so I swapped them over for some thin orange needles from an Alfa 33 16V, and painted the rest of the ancillary needles dayglo orange as well. We polished up the plastic cover and she looks brand new! Given that the engine is built to rev to about 8.5k, I wanted a tacho that showed up to 9 or 10 so I knew what was going on. In the end it all got too hard to incorporate a different tacho and keep it looking good, so I've just decided to set myself an 8k rev limit and take it right into the red! Should be a good look for the passengers!

DSC_0038.jpg

And finally, we spent forever last weekend getting all the lights working. The wiring was an absolute dogs breakfast because in my wisdom I didn't actually label anything when I pulled it apart - I didn't think it would be a big deal back then, but I've sure learnt that lesson. I like it with the lights on, makes it look a little closer to driving!

DSC_0043.jpg

Back