Aluminum Flywheel?

mblommel

True Classic
I pulled the transaxle off of my engine yesterday and found that I have an aluminum flywheel!:love: No wonder my little engine loved to rev so much.

Now I'm calling on the X web pool of expertise to identify what it is:
7777293950_6cf20742e0_z.jpg

The only markings on it are this logo:
7777294502_9afe27a0f6_z.jpg

Anybody seen this before? The logo is stamped.

The only other marking are the numbers "50*101*120"
7777293036_8eaea2483e_z.jpg

Extensive Google searching doesn't turn up much other than advice to avoid Paeco aluminum flywheels!

The pressure plate is some sort of Sachs unit:
7777291886_bf2c29df69_z.jpg

And here are the numbers on it:
7777291128_51e6cb22c4_z.jpg

The disc is Valeo but that's all I can find:
7777289966_d4d636bce3_z.jpg

I'm hoping somebody here might have seen this setup before. The engine car seems to have a lot of old school race parts on it. Any help identifying these parts would be very much appreciated. I'd like to retain the aluminum flywheel if possible. The friction surface is a bit pitted but it's about 3/8" thick so there is some material to remove to clean up.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Very cool!

The pressure plate and disc look to be stock 1500 unit. The flywheel is very neat.

I am no help on the vendor but make sure to really check the flywheel before putting it back on the car. As I understand it, since the mounting holes were not lined it could cause some ovaling of the holes and eventually failure. Then again, I could have been feed a bunch of BS!

How does the friction surface look on the flywheel. It comes off so I am sure you can have it replaced if needed.

Eric.

Mike... HOW MUCH DOES IT WEIGH???

I believe a stocker for a 1500 is about 14 or 15 pounds and a typical lightening of one usually nets about 11 or 12 pounds.

Mike Soter in Maine has one at about 10.5 ponds so this would be interesting to see what this gem weighs!

The logo kind of looks like it reads "TEP". A bit of searhing gets me to "Top End Performance", www.racetep.com. They do flywheels and list Fiat on their site.

The logo on the flywheel looks nothing like the one the website, though, so maybe it's not the same company.

Not a 1500, but 1300....

That is not a 1500, but a 1300 flywheel and clutch pack, whose friction disc has had the life used out of it!

1300 / 4-Spds have the pressure plate bolts equidistant from the dowel pins as shown here. 1500s have widely spaced bolts offset from the pins. The good news is that it appears the bolt holes in the flywheel are 8mm like a 1500 has, instead of the spindly 6mm as stock for a 1300.

When you replace the clutch cover and disc, you'll have to drill the clutch cover to accept those 8mm bolts.

Also curious is the additional holes at the main mounting flange. Does your crankshaft have a pair of 10mm dowel pins as well? If not, it appears this flywheel is set up for that...?? Hmmm.

Looks like a nice unit. Good score, that's a $500+ item new.

-M

Try Clutchnet

I had my alumnum flywheel made by Clutchnet in the L.A. area and it uses a Tilton clutch total weight for all is 12 pounds. Clutchnet can replace your disk lining and supply you with whatever parts you need.

Charlie

Not sure... yet.

I have to bring it in to work to measure it on one of our precise scales. But.... I have a friend who disc golfs a lot. Some of his frisbees weigh only a little less!:eek:mg:

No Cigar

Thanks for the lead. I called them today though and they said they had never manufactured any aluminum flywheels for Fiat applications. I does look as though they are willing to lighten and zero balance regular flywheels for $160. Might be worth looking into for some Xweb folks.

Thanks!

Thanks for the info Matt. The bolts that were securing the pressure plate to the flywheel were socket head cap screws. I think they are standard, not metric as the hex in the head was 3/16", so I'm guessing they are 1/4-20 thread which is only slightly larger than 6mm (6.35mm). I guess this is the 75 and later "thin" style pressure plate?

Alum flywheel

Mike,
That is light, very cool. Please keep us informed if you find out anything more about it...I'd love to try and locate one.

Back