Does this sticker mean anything......

Xken

'79 1300 4spd RHD
This sticker is on the side of my '79 X. Does it actually mean something or is it just a random from a previous owner?

"Special Edition" sticker

That looks like a "Special Edition" sticker that was found on certain "Special" 1978 Xs. The cars were the same as every other X mechanically, but IIRC they may have had some additional exterior stripes and interior color combo differences.

It was marketing tool of sorts to differentiate a group of Xs from the "normal" Xs.

This sticker is on the side of my '79 X. Does it actually mean something or is it just a random from a previous owner?

The signature on the sticker is nuccio bertone and the flag appears to be that of Australia (there seems to be an extra star hiding in there...).

Not sure what the two of them together are there for? Some rally pass in Australia maybe?

I had one on my first X

It was a sales thing. Supposedly a limited edition mark, but my X was exactly the same as other 79s that I ever saw. My 78 didn't have a sticker, but it had been repainted before I got it so was probably lost.

I believe some other country's also had them with appropriate flags.

Cheers,

Rob

Here's Another Pic

IMG_0899.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The above is a pic of "Aunt Mary's" '78 X1/9 that I took at FFO '09 in Valley Forge, PA.

You can see the equivalent sticker on the right fender. As JimD posted, my understanding is also that these were an edition of the X that in modern auto marketing terminology would be called an "appearance group" that featured cosmetic and interior upgrades only, but no mechanical or performance upgrades.

I think the Europeans called them "Series I Speciale."

One book that I have says these cars with the "Serie Speciale" had the national flag of the appropriate country and the author called this car "Hardly a collector's item". This book was written 1982 but today how many cars still have the original serie speciale stickers still on the car? If you still have the original paint on your car it's rare, if you have the original paint and the original sticker your even more rare.

Thanks guys, that's interesting. Being more down the purist end of the scale is it something worth preserving as original on the car or is it really here nor there?

It is the original paint which has seen better days and to preserve the car it really will need a re spray soon.

Sticker...

Hi,

Well, I don't think it will give more value to your car. So if you like to keep it original, I would do a repro sticker copy.

Daniel Forest
Montréal, Canada

+1 for a repro

...photograph square on in place first and do keep the original - low heat gun to remove (hair dryer) perhaps? The one on the silver car doesn't look quite right :shock: Never realised there was Australian versions, seen a few euro country ones though - there's always been scepticism on whether the numbers ran true to the chassis number or were just stuck on ad hoc - the Lido run in particular springs to mind with some numbers being greater than the apparent total production run?

...photograph square on in place first and do keep the original - low heat gun to remove (hair dryer) perhaps? The one on the silver car doesn't look quite right :shock: Never realised there was Australian versions, seen a few euro country ones though - there's always been scepticism on whether the numbers ran true to the chassis number or were just stuck on ad hoc - the Lido run in particular springs to mind with some numbers being greater than the apparent total production run?

I am also +1 on making a reproduction of the sticker. It would be nice if we could find out what the heck the #'s mean or if in fact its just a gimmick. I guess either way it's easy to explain (when showing your car to someone) or a novelty and something else to talk about ;)

I'm with Mr. Forest here... Put me down for -1...

No one really seems to know what it means and why would/should we care?

PLUS, it just adds extra weight... and possibly increased wind resistance! (HA!)

Do take it off and preserve it though just in case we do find it adds tremendous value... You can then spend the time, money and effort to reproduce it and stick it on the car.

I bet it adds at least 10hp to the car...

At least that is what I hear stickers do on all the JDM stuff! haha...

It would be interesting to know what the extra star is about.

Since I am the original owner.

My 79 I purchased new at the dealer.

In latter months the sicker came to me in the mail, similar but with the Canadian flag and serialized.

If memory serves it was a sales thing to show that your car was signed by Nuccio Bertone. The early cars did not have any logo's of Bertone's signature on them like the latter cars which had a metal plague under the glove box.

They suggested putting the sticker on the front fenders one for both sides, but I could not bear the thought of stickers on my car so I placed them on the door pillar on each side. Still there to this date.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Priceless if you want originality

Here's a pic of my '79 with sticker attached on the New South Wales south coast.

I never got around to painting that car (my first X) but was going to have the sticker carefully removed so I could replace it afterwards.

It would seem they were not used here in the States, but many other countries had them. I could never decide if it was just a sales gimmick or a genuine series numbering system, but I always kinda liked the look of them.

Cheers,

Rob

It would be interesting to know what the extra star is about.

I reckon the sixth "star" in the Southern Cross is simply a scratch, or perhaps a flare like the ones along the bottom border.

And I didn't quite understand the reference to "British chapter of the Taliban", above, either.

Brian

I'm with you on that, Rob............!

.....It would seem they were not used here in the States, but many other countries had them. I could never decide if it was just a sales gimmick or a genuine series numbering system, but I always kinda liked the look of them.....

....from somewhere in the depths of Phil Ward's excellent book, he comments that these 'unique' decals were introduced around the time that 1300-engined Serie Speciales and Lido's were being "strongly marketed" (read flogged off) in UK around the time of the introduction of the 1500 models.
I'm surprised to see that Aussie version of the decal - (but the Aussies like all those glitzy kinda things, so MAY have created their own version for their market?).
BTW, I'm with ol' mate bmcK on the remark a few posts up - "British version of the Taliban"!! That sounds a bit red-neckish to me!

cheers, Ian - NZ

Aussie flag

I reckon the sixth "star" in the Southern Cross is simply a scratch, or perhaps a flare like the ones along the bottom border.

You're right. It's probably a scratch in the sticker.

And I didn't quite understand the reference to "British chapter of the Taliban", above, either.

As an ex-pat Aussie I chose to ignore that vile comment (ignorance...!) as it was offensive beyond belief! :mad4:

Back