X1/9 Brake Fluid Reservoir Replacement Kit (Part V)

Jeff Stich

True Classic
A continuation of my previous offering of a relatively inexpensive & easy-to-install alternative brake fluid reservoir assembly to replace the all-too-familiar cracked/leaking original rectangular X1/9 brake fluid reservoir.

This X1/9 Brake Fluid Reservoir Replacement Kit consists of the following items:

1. A modified used BMW plastic brake fluid reservoir.
  2. 1300 style plain black cap with small mesh strainer fitting or 1500 style 2-spade float sensor cap with float tube (tube color may vary).
  3. Clutch fluid reservoir metal adapter plate with metric mounting hardware (this slightly raises the clutch fluid reservoir so the brake hoses can now run beneath it).
  4. Reservoir rear-to-car body rubber shim strip (to fit reservoir snugly within the original X1/9 brake fluid reservoir bracket).
  5. Shipping via USPS First Class Mail within the USA (International shipping is available at slight additional cost - Canada is about $3 more, while Europe & Australia are about $12 more).

1500 style, unassembled components (shim strip not shown):
xrezkit1a.jpg

1500 style, assembled (shim strip not shown):
xrezkit1b.jpg

I currently have 10 units available on a "first come, first served" basis beginning today. If you want one of these, speak up NOW. When they're sold out, it may be a while until I can make another production run depending on my ability to find good usable conversion cores & the free time I have available to fabricate the kits.

Price is $45 each (USA shipping included), payment via Paypal is preferred, thanks. :italia:

For anyone interested in the full history of this project, you can read the related previous Xweb threads here:

Part I: http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/21600/
Part II: http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/21939/
Part III: http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/22910/
Part IV: http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/24569/

Last edited by a moderator:
More kits available at BFI show

Most of the kits from this latest batch have been sold, but I'll be making a few more of them in the next day or so in order to have some available for folks at next weekends' Best of France & Italy car show/swapmeet. I should have 6-10 kits on hand,at a special BFI show price, too! :pimp:

Just look for the beat-up white Fiat 128 Wagon, I should be nearby. Or I might have a "booth" (table/blankets) set up over in the parts swapmeet area... :italia:

Last edited:
<Bump>

Just got done fabricating 7 more of these kits to have on hand for folks during the upcoming Winter (X1/9) project season. For anyone interested, now's the time to grab one before the Christmas shipping madness is upon us. Whether you've been :devil: or :innocent:, they'd make a great "stocking stuffer"! :)

Last edited:
I bought one of these kits about a month ago to replace my cracked original, and found it to be a great solution - fits perfectly and easy to install.....highly recommended!

Agree with Chris

I have one of Jeffs kits too. It was easy to install and only an expert would pick it is not original.

Thanks for offering these Jeff, your time is well spent.

Cheers,

Rob

Add me to the list

I just bought a stock one, but I'll take one of these to keep on hand for when it breaks.

In Need of a Replacement Brake Fluid Reservoir for an X1/9

Are you planning on creating more brake fluid reservoirs in the very near future? I just purchased an X1/9 and discovered that the brake reservoir is totally dry rotted and cracked. The one I just saw looks to be perfect for what I need.

Re: Kits

Are you planning on creating more brake fluid reservoirs in the very near future? I just purchased an X1/9 and discovered that the brake reservoir is totally dry rotted and cracked. The one I just saw looks to be perfect for what I need.

At the moment, I don't have any reservoir cores to modify, but I'm hoping to round some up within the next week or two so I can make another (small) production batch of these kits. The reservoirs themselves are getting harder to find in good/usable (undamaged) condition, so it takes me a bit longer now to have kits available. Even if I only find 1 or 2 cores, I'll try to turn them into kits asap in order to satisfy the demand (from you & others) & save folks less downtime on their car(s). I'll post availability as soon as I have them on hand. :wink2:

Back