Late model spoiler droop - bandaid fix

JimD

Waiting for Godot...
The front spoiler on my 86 has been droopy since the day I picked it up and has only gotten worse. Only the PS tab was still attached to the grill and the droop at the center finally got to the point that I could see the bottom edge of the rad above the top edge of the spoiler. :sigh:

Well, today it finally bugged me enough that I set out to do something about it. It was very warped from drooping, so I laid it out in the sun to warm it up and then massaged it gently back into shape. OK... I stood on the d*mn thing till it was in a somewhat better shape for remounting.

Next I grabbed a 4 foot piece of aluminum l-channel used for installing drop ceilings. I held it firmly to the spoiler and drilled a hole through the l-channel at the location of each original mounting hole. Then fastened the original screws through the l-channel into their mounting hole.
IM002497.JPG

You can see it was too long, so I just used a tin snip to trim the l-channel at each end to the length of the top edge of the spoiler .
IM002498.JPG

I figured this might give just enough rigidity to hold the top edge straight. I was almost right. It is sagging about one half inch below the base of the bottom grill slat. I pushed it up and it seems I could zip tie the l-channel to the bottom grill slat, but I figure that would just result in a broken bottom grill slat. And since you have to lay on the ground to see this 1/2" gap, who is going to notice really?
IM002502.JPG

I took it out for a long cruise down I-70 and the air pressure did not bend it, so hopefully that little l-channel will keep it from drooping for a while. It isn't perfect, but it is sooo much better that I am calling it a success.:woot:
IM002501.JPG

Last edited:
Gr8 minds...

...think alike!
I made similar bracket from .125x.5 aluminum bar.
Can kinda see it in only front/low pic I have.
Note Euro turnsigs.
sideways-3.jpg

PS: pic was taken before changing to coil overs.
Still...nice little drift action going on!

Right on, Jiminy... I vote for a stiffer bar...

... maybe double up on the aluminum if you have no other alternative... BUT... of PRIMARY importance also... is NOT bolting the bottom of the GRILLE to the spoiler.

The grille is strong enough to support itself, and in this manner, the rubber spoiler can take a slight hit WITHOUT breaking up the bottom bar of the plastic grille.

Good work!

I did my '81 a different way......

I fabricated a little sheet metal strut that went from the center of the spoiler back to the center of the radiator frame and bolted it in place with some small stainless steel aircraft hardware. It was about 4 inches long and I bent the center into a \_____/ shape to give it stiffness in both bending and torsion. Light enough that it would bend if hit (don't want to compromise the radiator frame), but stiff enough to hold the spoiler up. Did a great job to "keep the chin up".

Ciao,

I may double it up at some point,

but i think I will keep an eye on it as is. If it keeps its shape, I will leave it be. I don't want it to be too stiff and not give "if" I bang it into a curb. Not that I would ever do that. :)

Wow

Mike, Mark and Bob have all done something similar?!?! It makes me feel so smart, I must have stayed at a Holiday Inn last night. :excited:

Good to hear I am not alone.

Mark: I was looking around for a good place to put a center mount point, but I was looking up at the grill mounts and figured it was too far away. It seems stable now, but it has only been one day. After a little time I may double my l-channel and take a look at repeating your center mount.

I also have a spare early model steal spoiler, but it doesn't look quite right with the rubber elephant ears.

Last edited:
a different way

My approach to solving the problem was to use stainless steel straps to hold the droopy spoiler up. They are mounted directed behind the grill and are held in place with the same screws a the grill. Simple & effective.
0709.jpg

cheers - dj

Back