Car Cover came today...

RicB

True Classic
And I'm extremely pleased with the fit. As Greg (in Conn) mentioned, this is cut to fit our cars. While it is a bit pricey I feel that it is worth it. Below is some info on it sent to me by Greg. Wanted to create this post so it will so up in a search in case anyone else eventually wants to purchase one. Cheers.

Model# C10056PG Covercraft Custom Fit Car Cover WeatherShield HP Gray PG G2

Use this exact Model # in your Google search as it is the exact X1/9 cut with side pockets for mirrors.

This is where Greg and I purchased from:
http://autosupermart.com/store/shop/C10056PG.html

I don't have much luck with covers and the HEAT...

This year I bought a50 dollar cover that was WATERPROOF and guaranteed 3 years FREE replacement.

I worked real well in the little rain we get and kept the car completely dry... I got itlast November...

By June, the "fabric" was literally DISINTEGRATING and cumbling in my hand... and the dealer (quality_auto_products) somewhere in Orange County here... would not replace it FREE... but would for another 25 bucks.

I didn't wanna throw more good money after bad as I could only see it lasting another 6 months.

I'll be interested to see how well yours fairs for the money... You have some extremes up there also. My car is now fully exposed, not under any cover except fabric.

My location has changed...

from Colorado Springs to Austin, TX so no more extremes :excited: at least from warm to cold. Now I suppose I have extremes of hot to warm! But I got the weatherguard fabric because of the potential for heavy rains I figure I'm going to see. And to protect from bird poop. I'm trying to park it out of direct sunlight as much as possible too.

50 bucks for a cover...not suprising Tony!

Quality product here...same that Griot's Garage sells.(far from Harbor Freight...)

Cool Ric! See how its a perfect fabric...easy to place on the X in minutes and NON bulky!

Now let it rain :eek:

Covercraft outlet store sale

Covercraft is selling them for just under $200 through their outlet store in black only. Awesome cover material, but apparantly they have improved it even more, hence the sale.

Finally got a chance to try my car cover

And I'm extremely pleased with the fit. As Greg (in Conn) mentioned, this is cut to fit our cars. While it is a bit pricey I feel that it is worth it. Below is some info on it sent to me by Greg. Wanted to create this post so it will so up in a search in case anyone else eventually wants to purchase one. Cheers.

Use this exact Model # in your Google search as it is the exact X1/9 cut with side pockets for mirrors.

This is where Greg and I purchased from:
http://autosupermart.com/store/shop/C10056PG.html

Thanks for pointing out this sale Ric. I ordered one right away and it showed up last week. I finally got a chance to "try it on" today after work. It is a really good fit. I did not put the windows up or the top on and it still fit very well. I am very happy with it.

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

Thanks again! :)

I've have had good luck with cheap covers.

I got one from somewhere, NJ maybe for 50 bucks and it lasted for two years. I did not have to wash the X from about May to November in 2009 it stayed that clean. Actually it is still in one piece, despite the extreme Albuquerque spring winds, but the soft stuff is getting thin on the areas where it contacts the corners. This one had nice straps on both ends that really kept it on the car regardless of the winds. But I can't seem to find the vendor again.

Thank you for the information. Soon I will be finally bringing my car to my condo and a good cover is very important to me.

Larry... tell us more...

I got one that was 100% waterproof for about 46 bucks delivered and it was STIFF, but really kept the car clean and dry. I loved it but it really COOKED the intereior as it did not BREATHE at all.

Had a 3 year warranty and after less than 6 months totally DISINTEGRATED! I mean literally crumbled in your hand and turned to FLAKES! The supplier would not honor their warranty either... would just send another at a reduced price... (I filed a complaint on eBay... local CA guy and I would taken him to small claims if I could have located him... the schmuck!)

My problem (and I would assume yours also...) is HEAT and a bit of wind. I sure would like to find a reasonably priced cover that would last a YEAR, much less TWO! I'm afraid to invest $250 and find it crumbles in 6 months like everything else.

Soooo... can ya tell us where ya got yours?

Thanx...

Tony, I wish I could!

I have been looking at all the adds all summer trying to find it. I ALWAYS keep a copy of my receipt for Ebays purchases as a pdf file. Well apparently almost always, as I have come up empty handed on any record of ever having purchased such a thing as a car cover. There was nothing special about it. IT was just a thinner version of the usual pinhole gray material with a thin fuzzy inside. Light in weight, flexible, rolls on and off in 10 seconds. But those straps in front and back kept it in this county.

I think with car covers (like most things) you get what you pay for. I bought a sort-of cheap "universal" water-proof cover right after I got the 86 as I had to store it outside for a little while. It didn't last the winter and didn't keep the car dry rather it just trapped the water in! Only good out of it was the exercise I got chasing it down the street a couple of times in a few bad storms...

O.K. I did a little PayPal research

Here is the link
http://stores.ebay.com/CSC-Sports-I...10950652&_sid=108276844&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Now this was a cheap cover, but in sunny Albuquerque it worked like a charm, especially the end straps. It never came off , even in Albuquerque's infamous spring winds. I suspect that it will trap moisture if snow or water is allowed sit on it. But I never had an issue after several torrential downpours. But I sometimes get lucky.

I should add, that I am going to get another one, just for the end straps.

Thanks Larry, WHICH ONE???

4 layer, 5 layer? Which price?

Also... they offer a LIFETIME warranty on the 5 layer... but don't explain it. And have you returned one or considered returning one yet?

Is the "buckle" tie-down strap the one you like?

Sorry for all the questions... and I too have been seen running UP the street after a "parachute" of sorts! HA!

Tony, I think its the 75 buck one.

Two years ago it was 50 bucks. The one I have has the straps on both ends. I have bought expensive ones before, but besides being thicker, I see no fundamental difference: If water lays on them, the car gets wet. And they blew away in high winds. And they lasted two years before shredded somewhere. Other people have other criteria. But mine is not having to wander the neighborhood looking for the darn thing after a night of high winds.

Back