Anyone Bought The Prima Big Brakes From Vics?

Probably be several months before mine is back together with the new built motor- assuming no problems arise - so, hopefully Pete will weigh in sooner than I.

Last edited:
Pete,
most likely 500 1.3 multijet (diesel) ...240 x 20 ... and they look like Bosch calipers (which is probably why the pic on Vics website is cut short as they have BOSCH part number cast into them)...

(UnoT are Lucas system)

Fiat have outsourced brake component manufacture since the mid 90's...so usually its a choice between Bosch, Lucas, ATE and Brembo designed components.

(2012 Ford KA uses the same disc and pad combo too...)

SteveC

picture cut short

Nope the pic is short, because that pic is on a test stand and looks terrible. So, we only left the parts that make sense, are important and look pretty.

Well

It would be interesting to see it in the real world and compar it head to head with some other setup's out there . Personally I'd be vary surprised if it could out brake my setup which is stock with Porterfield pads .

repeated brake use

Aaron is currently out sick.

So, please allow me to make a small comment.

Under single 1 time only runs the brakes may stop in the same distance. Although the OE setup will vibrate much more due to the wedge caliper design. Whereas the sliding pin calipers will move much more freely and thus less vibration.

In repeated braking nothing beats Vented Rotors. That is simply why all major manufacturers use them on all modern cars/trucks. So, yes this kit would beat a standard set of calipers with OE rotors and even with high temp pads. And if they were close or perhaps the track is very long, then that is why we have the higher temp/performance pads available for them.

In short there is no OE setup that will out perform Vented Rotors.

---- Look for the rear kit very soon. Aaron is already neck deep in the project, which is probably how he got sick (lack of rest). We look forward to continuing to bring out new and more products for the X community. ----

Thanks
Matt
PS Racerx - My invitation to speak with me directly still stands. Please feel free to call me at anytime.

Brakes arrived yesterday

IMG_3046_zps3d4cd9f1.jpg

IMG_3047_zps4122f79e.jpg

IMG_3048_zps048d3665.jpg

uhhh, well....

Pete - how are the brakes?

They look nice, sitting there in the box. My car has been at my mechanic for a few weeks while we try to figure out a no-start condition. The Haltech engine management computer points to a bad "engine position sensor", which we assume to be a crank position sensor. Changed it out, no change. Changed the cam position sensor, no change. Re-installing the original Honda ECU to see if that gives better clues through his scanning equipment. Hopefully we can figure out something in the next week or so, then I can get the car back to work on it. :sigh:

Pete

Sorry to hear Pete. I thought engine position sensor and crank sensor was the same too...

Get that fixed so we can get a report on the brakes though ok?!?

:)

Stock brakes with porterfield pads work great

Indeed! I used a stock system (except I had front calipers in the rear with a biaser) on my GT-C X1/9 road race car, ran Axxis Metal Master pads - stock Brembo rotors. Worked great. Never warped a rotor in 7 years of hard racing.

I plan on using the stock system on my Uno T conversion, hmm, maybe I'll try the Porterfield pads.

Myron,
I had Axxis pads, now run Porterfield.
The difference is so great, you wouldn't believe it.

For me, the stock brakes are great even on track, but are marginal in terms of overheating.
I never have a problem on the Nürburgring, but when I had to stop on track because of engine trouble, the heat soak caused the pedal to go to the floor.
Better fluid might help, but I suspect on a more brake intensive track, I may exceed the heat capacity of the brakes and woul need cooling ducts.

Ulix, thanks for sharing on the Porterfield

We have used Porterfield for years on the racecars, and truly believe in their effectiveness. We have sold them as our performance pad for quite a while.

You're a discerning customer I was hoping that you would be happy with them when you picked them up, and am glad to see that your experience is the same as ours. When keeping stock caliper components, the difference is amazing.

The K20 build that we did for Christian Naggiar out in California (the K20 chasing the Ferrari on YouTube) you literally hear him say "Brakes are DAMN good!". Those are stock front and rear with Porterfield R4 full race compound...

Not cheap, but the best pad out there.

And no, they aren't dustless.... lol.

-M

SQUEAL, a lot too.

I ran the Porterfields and yes they are good but do make a lot of noise and dust. Not a problem. The coefficient of friction is pretty high so the pedal force is low.
Bob

The numbers seems to cross to Lada Samara...

Just poking around... the caliper w/o bracket can be had for 1355 rubles or $40

http://www.avtoall.ru/

Bracket is 625 rubles, and the vented disk 1025 rubles.

Vicks price ain't bad all things considered. Although I'm hoping for a spring time sale!

Prima Brake problems

Hey Pete , did you install the Prima brakes ?
were there any issues?
the shop had a heck of a time with mine , had to send the caliper brackets back and Aaron was kind enough to take off some material
we finally went to install and we still have problems
is there something drastically different on my '84 ?:(

Back