Brake bleeding tricks?

From a search on the site I have seen that it is possible to replace the larger bulbs with LEDS. What about the small "ricebulbs?" Is there a PnP version of those available? Does any one know the PNs for these?
There are some older threads that go into detail about LEDs for the instrument cluster. Off hand I don't recall the details but others have been successful at replacing all of the bulbs with LEDs. Try the Google search function for Xweb for those earlier threads:

There are some older threads that go into detail about LEDs for the instrument cluster. Off hand I don't recall the details but others have been successful at replacing all of the bulbs with LEDs. Try the Google search function for Xweb for those earlier threads:
I've replaced all of the bulbs in an instrument cluster to LED - except - the ALT light. I kept that one incandescent. Keep in mind that you want to use the correct color bulbs too.

I've replaced all of the bulbs in an instrument cluster to LED - except - the ALT light. I kept that one incandescent. Keep in mind that you want to use the correct color bulbs too.
Don's suppose you have any receipts from when you did it to give me the correct PNs?

Yes, thanks for reminding. I'd forgotten about the alt needing a regular bulb for resistance in the circuit.

What are the bulbs in question? I don't have an X, so not familiar.. What is a 'rice' bulb? I have good sources for Ludicrous bright LEDs but need to know what the bulb is.. A lot of people get them from 'Superbrite LEDs', but their bulbs aren't that great overall... Much better sources out there..

What are the bulbs in question? I don't have an X, so not familiar.. What is a 'rice' bulb? I have good sources for Ludicrous bright LEDs but need to know what the bulb is.. A lot of people get them from 'Superbrite LEDs', but their bulbs aren't that great overall... Much better sources out there..
EDITED: IIRC all of the instrument panel bulbs are either 74 (small) or 194 (big).

Conventional wisdom says do not put an LED bulb in as the charging system warning bulb, as that alters the flow of electricity needed for that system to work as intended.

Last edited:
That has been my problem. I cannot read the identification on the bulbs and haven't been able to size them. I may just have to take a couple to a lighting store or HD and see if I can find similar sized. Here is a photo of the larger bulb:

2024-04-14 08.34.23.jpg

I apparently didn't take a photo of the smaller bulb, but here is a photo of the "Rice" bulb as taken from Midwest-Bayless' website:

RiceBulb.jpg
Here is the link to their website for this particular item.

That has been my problem. I cannot read the identification on the bulbs and haven't been able to size them. I may just have to take a couple to a lighting store or HD and see if I can find similar sized. Here is a photo of the larger bulb:

View attachment 83715

I apparently didn't take a photo of the smaller bulb, but here is a photo of the "Rice" bulb as taken from Midwest-Bayless' website:

View attachment 83717
Here is the link to their website for this particular item.
small=74
big=194

With the universal bulb identification numbers @Dan Sarandrea (Phila) posted you can search online and find countless sources. LED bulbs is one (of many) items where price and quality do not correlate. So don't judge your buying options by the price.

My old scorpion used many rice bulbs for the instrument panel lights. I went through many types of 74 led bulbs until I found ones that work. Luckily I was able to order them cheap enough through eBay. Try to get the kind with the wire pigtails. I remember on some I had to cut the wire tails.

Back