Broken or stripped out headlight shroud screws...

it_mike

True Classic
OK, went to change the headlight bulb and discovered two of the screws holding one of the black shrouds surrounding a headlight were stuck solid. One sheared off, the other is stripped.

Any experience drilling these out? Seems like an awkward angle.

OK, went to change the headlight bulb and discovered two of the screws holding one of the black shrouds surrounding a headlight were stuck solid. One sheared off, the other is stripped.

Any experience drilling these out? Seems like an awkward angle.

I've been able to grind the heads off with a Dremel, and once the heads are gone the shroud comes off and everything gets a lot easier. If you mangle the shroud a bit.... well, it only shows when the pods are up :whistle:

Once that shroud is off, you'll probably have similar problems with the screws that hold the retaining ring for the lamp itself. Get PB-Blaster or equivalent on them and let them sit overnight if they show any signs of recalcitrance.

This job is only a PITA the first time you have to do it - you're making up for years of neglect and corrosion. Once you've gotten it apart and cleaned up, the next lamp change will be easy.

I had the same problem, and I was able to drill out the old screw. I made a drill guide from key stock and clamped it to the pod (I used double-sided tape to tack it in position before clamping):

DSCN1203.JPG

I was lucky and the screw drilled out cleanly. The tip of the screw got pushed out by the drill bit as I was almost through:

DSCN1198.JPG

Here you can see the drill marks at the butt end of the screw-tip:

DSCN1202.JPG

I cut a groove along the length of a new screw and used this to chase the threads after I drilled out the old screw. The threads in the pod still work just fine, but are a bit loose.

I don't know that you need to remove the pod to do this, but if you do pay close attention to the arrangement of washers, spacers etc. where the pod mounts to the car. Getting it all back together is a "challenge".

Try to use the correct size replacement screws. These are metric self tapping screws to ISO standard 7050 (successor to DIN 7982C), size M3.5 x 16 mm. The original screws are stainless, replacement screws should be as well. You can use ISO 7051 / DIN 7983C screws instead; these are oval head vs. the original flat head and look oh so pretty.

If you use some other similarly sized, non-metric screw, they'll have to cut new threads as they go in and you risk twisting off the new ones.

Last edited:
I bunged it up...

Not having a garage/workshop, I tried to clear out the old screws while everything was still attached to the car. I was off-center and now have half a head holding the shroud in place.

I'll have to find someone with a proper shop to fix it now.... :sigh:

Back