Gear linkage question (lolly pop)

dcioccarelli

Dominic Cioccarelli
Hi all,

I'm not completely happy with the accuracy of the gear shift on my car. I recently swapped the lolly pop with a new one but it only seems to have made a marginal difference despite much adjustment and experimentation.

My current focus is on the single bolt which attaches to the selector fork. See bolt 19 the diagram below:
GearShift.jpg

GearShift.jpg

My question is the following. On my car, if I leave the nut (15) a bit loose, the bolt will eventually become completely loose. If I make it very tight, the "lolly pop" (16) can't rotate freely around the bushing (18) (or the bushing can't rotate around the bolt).

I would have imagined that the bushing is there to allow some rotational freedom so that the angle of the lolly pop can vary slightly with respect to the gearbox input shaft. Also, as the bolt is only threaded at the tip, this would support the theory that there should be some rotational movement possible. Can anybody confirm this?

My problem may be the washer (#17 on diagram). Can anybody confirm the type and size of this washer? Should the inner diameter be slightly bigger than the inside of the bushing? A photo of the correct parts would be appreciated if possible.

Many thanks,
Dominic.

GearShift.jpg

Hi all,

I'm not completely happy with the accuracy of the gear shift on my car. I recently swapped the lolly pop with a new one but it only seems to have made a marginal difference despite much adjustment and experimentation.

My current focus is on the single bolt which attaches to the selector fork. See bolt 19 the diagram below:
GearShift.jpg

GearShift.jpg

My question is the following. On my car, if I leave the nut (15) a bit loose, the bolt will eventually become completely loose. If I make it very tight, the "lolly pop" (16) can't rotate freely around the bushing (18) (or the bushing can't rotate around the bolt).

I would have imagined that the bushing is there to allow some rotational freedom so that the angle of the lolly pop can vary slightly with respect to the gearbox input shaft. Also, as the bolt is only threaded at the tip, this would support the theory that there should be some rotational movement possible. Can anybody confirm this?

My problem may be the washer (#17 on diagram). Can anybody confirm the type and size of this washer? Should the inner diameter be slightly bigger than the inside of the bushing? A photo of the correct parts would be appreciated if possible.

Many thanks,
Dominic.

GearShift.jpg

As you have discovered, the bolt http://www.fiatplus.com/2nd-gear-fork-shift-link-bolt-pr-276942.html & nut http://www.fiatplus.com/shift-link-carburetor-nut-pr-275813.html must be tight. And when tight this will allow the flexible coupling to still move slightly on the bolt assembly.
Often the stepped washer http://www.fiatplus.com/bushing-in-shifter-link-pr-284629.html is worn, so take a close look at it. The tension washer http://www.fiatplus.com/lockwasher-for-shift-bolt-pr-275811.html only looses it's tension allowing more slop.

Usually if one is worn out it's best to replace all the parts, they are not expensive.

Confirmed

I can't tell you the size/thickness of that washer right at this moment, but can "mic" it tonight when I get home. Mine is currently apart so it'd be easy for me.

As for the movement, there should be some rotational action allowed at this bolt. If you can sort this out when you re-assemble, you should be good to go.

Dan, those are Purrrty...

You must be getting ready for FFO...
Am I going to have some competition? :excited:

I'm headed to the chromer right now to get the lollipop and my jackstands:excited: chrome plated!:nana:

But I'd lose concours points:cry: because they are not NOS OEM parts.

Thanks.

ok, many thanks if you could supply a photo. In the end it seems that the bushing which was in the original lolly pop was slightly too wide for the new one. I just had to drill out the hole in the lolly pop a bit.

In my opinion, this gearbox linkage is the single biggest design fault in the X1/9. I have seen cars with modified linkages (employing rose joints) which are so much better I can't understand why they were not used in the original design.

Other design issues that I have had on every X I have owned are:

- brass fuel inlets in 32 and 34 D(AM)TR carbs tend to come loose (very dangerous)
- flexible brake hoses collapse and cause callipers to stick (hard to diagnose)
- brake and clutch master cylinders need to be bled where the metal pipes attach to them first

I'll add to the list as more things come to mind ;-)

Cheers again,
Dominic.

I guess I'll be losing some

major points myself, as the plenum isn't "polished" (though it's original) and the exhaust isn't "jet coated" (though it's original too!) and a lot of the original hardware isn't stainless.... but hey....

It'll be purrrty.... :pimp:

I guess if losing points means DEGRADING the car, I'll have to (finally) pass on the words "true concourso".

Anyone has them?

Anyone has those beautiful chrome attachment parts?
I am in the process of replacing the whole sandwich there. I guess I should replaced those as well!

Back