idle rpm

rshaw

True Classic
my idle rpm changed to 1300 a couple weeks ago; any ideas?

or is this an x19 cold weather auto setting feature thingy :rolleyes:

You gotta tell us more....

Fuel injected or carbed? What year and engine? Any mods?

And are you reading the RPM from the car's dashboard tach, or are you hooking up a proper dwell/tach to the distributor to measure the RPM? The stock dashboard tach is fairly unreliable.

same thing happend last fall also

i adjusted the screw on the linkage to lower the idle and thought nothing of it until this summer had to put it back because the idle was back to 600 rpm

I figure it has something to do with the high idle circuit but when I first start up the idle is around 1500 and it kicks down to 1300.

Idle, etc...

On the injected models, the idle adjustment is not on the linkage but instead on top of the throttle body.

There is a 17mm locknut with a slotted screw in the center, clockwise screws it in and lowers the idle, counter-clockwise does the opposite.

Your idle can change if the Auxiliary Air Valve decides to suddenly work, or if you have air or fuel leak (think bad injector spray pattern).

You may need to follow the idle setting instructions in the "best of" if you've messed with it too much. The adjustment on the linkage is only a throttle stop.

Check the throttle position sensor, in the cold for me it usally gets out of adjustment. Usually just need to back it off a little to get the "click" again. Also make sure you don't have a loose aux air valve.

drove x to work yesterday and the idle was surging 1500 to 1800
drove home was idling at 1800

tps ok
changed aux air valve and initially no change
checked volts on connector was 14.4
changed double relay for kicks... nope.
pinching of aux air line and no change

decided to adjust idle and would only lower to about 1100

then...... I turn my back and it suddenly lowered to about 700
:eek:
the only thing that was different was engine temp got hotter than normal running (for this time of year)
anyway adjusted idle to about 900 and drove to work today all ok

another x mystery

+1 on Gregory's post. If you haven't done so already, get your injectors cleaned. I don't know where you would do this in Canada, but I suppose you could send them to one of the places people use here.

Check this too...

The Auxiliary Air Valve is partly warmed through its mounting, in that it absorbs heat through its housing from whatever it's mounted too. On the X it's the block and the bolts need to be tight for this to work. It's also heated with an internal electrical element and 12v from the ignition switch.

I bring this up because mine was found to be loosely bolted and although it was difficult to tighten, it helped with my idle. :)

now that makes sense

The old one was loose but was still defective, open circuit.

I thinks my problem is solved :D

Thanks all for the help.

Back