Nice seatcovers

DSpieg

True Classic
I finally found a decent set of moderately-priced seatcovers for my '77 X, from a California seller on eBay with the unlikely name of Iggee (link below). Under $200 for the pair, they fit very nicely, look good, and seem to be made of decent quality material.

http://stores.ebay.com/Iggee-Custom-Seat-Covers

Took about 3 weeks (and one gentle reminder email) for them to make and ship the covers.
Usual disclaimer, I have no affiliation with these folks, just a happy new customer.

Do you have pics of fitment in your car?

I would be interested in seeing the product on a customer car....

Photos coming, maybe

I'll take some photos of the new seatcovers installed in my '77 tonight, and post them here if I can figure out how to do that :)

To post:

Go to photobucket.com
Create account
upload photo from hard drive
once uploaded, copy and paste the
tag in your post.
viola, picture posted.

Ciao

Too modern-techie for me

Thanks for that tip too, Kevin. I will slowly enter the 21st Century, one little toe at a time. That said, I still refuse to carry a GPS receiver in either of my Fiats. A paper map will have to do.

Back on the topic of seatcovers, I took the X for a 75-mile round trip yesterday and found the newly-covered seats to be mighty comfortable!

Dave... how are these covers secured?

Hog rings or ties or what?

The 'backs' look pretty good but a bit loose, the 'bottoms' look very loose.

I'm wondering if they were just made a bit too big or if they can be bolstered with some additional padding... or that they could use some more "tightening up" with their installation.

I'm not sure how much experience you've had with upholstery... I'm no expert but have done a few and do use a few tricks I've learned to get a snug fit. If you are quite happy with them, then all is OK... sure have the potential to look like "real" upholstery and not like a "cover".

Let me know if ya want to mess with them any more and I'll hopefully be of some help. I also like the monotone you chose as well over the tendency for most folks to get two-tones...

Enjoy!

Thin metal clips, similar to hog rings but flimsier. They're OK because if I had pulled the vinyl any tighter something would have torn. Wasn't easy to get around the seatback hinges on the sides, and the latch/bracket in the middle, while trying to get the seat bottoms taut. Admittedly the installation is far from perfect, but the end result is still better than the original upholstery in its current condition, and I believe the covers were a decent buy for the price.

I've done four or five seatcover sets over the years, Tony, so I wouldn't call myself experienced but I'm not a novice either.

I see... I hadn't considered the tearing issue...

Of the few sets I've done on my X, that wasn't a problem using hog clips as the upholstery had rolled edges or beading. None were over 200 bucks but that was 10 years ago too. In every case though I had to add padding and heat soak the vinyl in the sun to get it to look decent.

Hinges and latches are always an issue.

When I did my Vette though... the upholstery was made exactly to fit with all the support wires, hog clips, pliers and stays... and $600 bucks and my labor!

If I haveta ever do the X again and haveta spend that kinda money, I think I will find some Miata seats or some aftermarket racing seats for about the same money. I know some that have spent over a grand to duplicate the factory upholstery and if you are into Concours, that's OK. I'm not though...

Anyway... the car overall looks great and continued success!

Back