Proud New X 1/9 owner!

911YYZ

Low Mileage
Guys;
I managed to purchase the X1/9 that was advertised in London, Ontario, Canada.
I have a business contact in Detroit and go up there (from GA) about twice a year.

So, when I saw that ad in Kijiji for the '81 X 1/9, I thought....hmmmm... perhaps I can kill two birds with one stone.

The seller and I spoke in length about the car and we made plans to meet up. Long story short, the car is now in the US (still in Detroit awaiting transport)!! I should see it in about a week.

The car runs great! The seller and the previous owner did lots of good work to it. I'm hoping the previous owner can chime in here.

Anyways, looking forward to getting it down here to Atlanta area soon.

Marc
20190902_081448.jpg
20190902_081456.jpg
20190902_081516.jpg
20190902_081529.jpg

Congrats on the new acquisition and welcome to the club.

Great looking car. The only thing I could do without is the rally mud flaps but they do go with the big driving lights on the front bumper.

I like the spot lights, gives it kind of a Rally car appearance, along with the mudflaps. Maybe a little more aggressive tire and it would work great!

Nice purchase!! I have not seen that color on a X1/9 before. Is it original? Also, there are a good handful of X1/9 owners in the Detroit.

Thanks for the kind words!!

The original color is the dookie brown color. :( The color, now is BMW green.

I like those rally lights and the flaps. It does need new tires. My plan is to get a good set of tires, perhaps spacers to widen the stance. Lower the front (perhaps the rear too) and let it sit lower, wider!!

Thanks for the kind words!!

The original color is the dookie brown color. :( The color, now is BMW green.

I like those rally lights and the flaps. It does need new tires. My plan is to get a good set of tires, perhaps spacers to widen the stance. Lower the front (perhaps the rear too) and let it sit lower, wider!!
The one that got away. Not going to lie, tried desperately with the offer of even more money to secure this this with the previous owner and send entire funds sight unseen. He wouldn't budge (definitely an honest stand up guy) and said if you passed he'd call. Not surprised though nice little car and although disappointed, happy for you! We also must have the same tastes because I almost bought an 83 Targa last week from a coworker, that is until I saw the cost to rebuild a 3.0L Porsche engine!

The one that got away. Not going to lie, tried desperately with the offer of even more money to secure this this with the previous owner and send entire funds sight unseen. He wouldn't budge (definitely an honest stand up guy) and said if you passed he'd call. Not surprised though nice little car and although disappointed, happy for you! We also must have the same tastes because I almost bought an 83 Targa last week from a coworker, that is until I saw the cost to rebuild a 3.0L Porsche engine!

Hi, yes... the seller was indeed a standup guy. I spoke to him over the phone couple of weeks ago, and I gave him my time frame to make the trek up to Detroit > London. I guess we built up trust during our conversation and he gave me 1st right of refusal. It fell on me to come through with my end of the deal and I did. I did incur more costs obviously due to the fact that I had to get it over the border and bringing it home 700 miles away to Atlanta. It will be well taken care of. I have a warehouse full of classic cars and this car will never see a drop of rain again as long as I own it! :)

I have a 1986 Targa (2nd owner) that's in pristine condition. I have known the owner for almost 15 years and he wanted to "sell" it to one of his young kids to "keep it in the family". But he sold it to me with the promise that if I ever put it on the market, I will offer any of his 3 kids the honorable "1st right of refusal" so it may go back to his family. Until that time, I will enjoy the ownership of his old Targa for the time being!!!

Marc

BTW, how much is the seller asking for the 83 Targa?

Hi, yes... the seller was indeed a standup guy. I spoke to him over the phone couple of weeks ago, and I gave him my time frame to make the trek up to Detroit > London. I guess we built up trust during our conversation and he gave me 1st right of refusal. It fell on me to come through with my end of the deal and I did. I did incur more costs obviously due to the fact that I had to get it over the border and bringing it home 700 miles away to Atlanta. It will be well taken care of. I have a warehouse full of classic cars and this car will never see a drop of rain again as long as I own it! :)

I have a 1986 Targa (2nd owner) that's in pristine condition. I have known the owner for almost 15 years and he wanted to "sell" it to one of his young kids to "keep it in the family". But he sold it to me with the promise that if I ever put it on the market, I will offer any of his 3 kids the honorable "1st right of refusal" so it may go back to his family. Until that time, I will enjoy the ownership of his old Targa for the time being!!!

Enjoy it because all the guys (and girls) on this forum are crazy over them. I'm sure you will because from what I can see up here in Canada, you've found a real gem. Most of what you find used here are very rusty in all the wrong places.

Nice car. I'm digging the rally inspired theme. Maybe 2 more lights and a few other touches, to really pull off the look. Steelies and a different tire
It iwould aestheticreally add to this aesthetic. It is a shame though, that a nice brown X was changed to green. Looks good though.

Only two other exxies I have ever seen on this forum in that color or similar, one was maybe 10-11 years ago, it was being sold out of Florida. The other was maybe from around that time as well, from in my neck of the woods, Philadelphia. It was owned by an Eagles fan as it had a big Philadelphia Eagles logo on the frunklid. Neither had the Euro/74 bumper backdate, IIRC the Florida car had late bumpers and the Phila car had ladder bumpers.

Only two other exxies I have ever seen on this forum in that color or similar, one was maybe 10-11 years ago, it was being sold out of Florida. The other was maybe from around that time as well, from in my neck of the woods, Philadelphia. It was owned by an Eagles fan as it had a big Philadelphia Eagles logo on the frunklid. Neither had the Euro/74 bumper backdate, IIRC the Florida car had late bumpers and the Phila car had ladder bumpers.

Was the Philly car the aftermarket 2 tone (light and dark green) I purchased out of Philly?

Was the Philly car the aftermarket 2 tone (light and dark green) I purchased out of Philly?
No I don't think so, the one I recall was a monochrome medium-dark green like the one above. I have this picture of it in mind, maybe from its Craigslist posting, of being parked next to a row of garages, maybe at a self-storage facility.

Ok Gents...
The car is now in Georgia after a week of rest in Michigan.

I have these wheels that I bought many years ago for my 76 Scorpion project that never materialized so I'm going to stick them on the X 1/9 for now.

Rim size: 14" x 5.5" offset 45.
Am I correct in thinking that I need 20mm spacers on all corners? Any recommendations on 14" tires?

What's your opinions?

Marc

20190917_151125.jpg
20190917_151118.jpg
20190917_150001.jpg

Back