Read engine Fiat motors I've had over the years....#3

Frank L. Di Gioia

True Classic
Sorry for the angle of the pic but my computer skills are on the level of my driving skills.....This is my 1967 850 Spider that John T posted sometime back at Laguna Seca. It was running a 1 liter PBS 8-port motor at that time. Shown is a 1438 with a PBS twin cam kit. The conversion consists of a square tube support, bellhousing with VW starter, Ford six cylinder oil pump gear that is a direct fit replacement for the Fiat oil pump drive gear and I seem to recall having to rearrange the plug wire sequence. The motor came with a dual DCNF manifold to which I fitted two 30DICA Weber's after converting them to non-progressive action. These were then replaced with Dual 40mm DCOE's. The car WAS NOT a tail dragger! The suspension was 1300/124 springs front and rear, rear sway bar to the front and a thicker Adco sway bar on the rear. Shocks were Carrera from John Edwards national champ 850 autocrosser. Tires were P-7 Pirelli. The car felt firmly planted and there was less than 75 pounds added weight to the rear. It went to Milt Simon in Santa Monica who enjoyed it till Grandma T-boned it.....

Attachments

• IMG_5144[1].JPG
    IMG_5144[1].JPG
    186.9 KB · Views: 44
Merkel Weiss had the same engine set up in his European 67 850 Spider, I don’t recall the carb he had on it.

It was a fast car.

Back