1976 Scorpion; Gold

Getting ready for coolant hose and belt replacement.

IMG_2220 copy.JPG

I don't have much time each week to work on this, but at least I have the coolant drained and have removed some of the hoses.
IMG_2242.JPG
IMG_2241.JPG

Reactions: 86X
Loosening the top bolt for the alternator. The bottom one was not too tight so I was able to get the belt off. Don't recall how I tightened the bottom bolt back in 1983. Maybe a long extension under the intake manifold.
IMG_2264.JPG

The timing belt exposed.

This is as much about replacing all the coolant hoses as well as the belts.

IMG_2272.JPG
IMG_2271.JPG

Great space to work in, I replaced my cooling system , components as well. Are you replace the Thermostat and housing?
Yes, new thermostat. I have not ordered anything yet until it is all apart and I can see what all I need.

This is going very slow because I'm also re-dying the seats in my Mercedes at the same time and that project is taking priority.
In terms of the Scorpion, I want to get all the mechanicals in order before I start on cosmetics. But I will also be re-dying the Scorpion seats in the future.

IMG_2172 copy.JPG

Last edited:
Belt and bearing are out. Probably do the water pump while everything is apart.

Belt doesn't look much different from when I put it on in '83.

index.php

IMG_2640.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2607.JPG
    IMG_2607.JPG
    437.6 KB · Views: 176
Nice R107. I have an 85 380SL I bought to sale. I bought it at an estate sale one fall. I promised my I would sale it in spring time after fixing some small items. Well I kind of fell in love with it. That was 2 years ago. My wife named it foster, she said we are foster parents, we are not keeping it. Every time I want to buy another car she reminds me about Foster. 🤣
I still need to fix the dash and odometer. Or sale it.

I kind of got the Mercedes by accident, bought it from a relative. For me the Mercedes satisifies my urge to replace the Fiat 124 Spider I had 1975; the car I sold to get the Scorpion.

When I had my Fiat Spider, I think the Fiat was one of the least expensive convertibles one could buy, and the Mercedes was one of the most expensive convertible. So it is kind of nice to see 'how the other half lived.' :)

These things are getting packaged up to go to the plater for trivalent zinc (cadmium substitute).

IMG_2632.JPG
IMG_2633.JPG

I got a box of parts from Midwest Bayless. The issue at hand is the poor condition of the manifold that attaches to the water pump. Cleaning and evaluating that manifold is the main reason I want to remove the water pump. So, I'll put a new pump in, even though the existing one does not leak. Maybe the manifold is OK after all, but it does have that look that it might fall apart.
IMG_2637 copy.JPG

Last edited:
Slow going here, but this weeks plan is to order the hoses and the manifold above. Then, after the hardware arrives back from the plater, it should be a matter of bolting everything back togeter.

Back