'81 DMOD feeler

AngeloX19

True Classic
I'm hoping it doesn't come to this, but I'm trying to put a value on my racer should I have to sell it. I've posted a fair amount about this car, just check out the threads I've started, but the most recent is this http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/8545.

Essentiall I ran the 1.8 the summer of '08 as a weekend warrior, and just slalomed it in '09 so there's maybe 2500 miles on the drive train. A compression check after 1000 miles showed 185-205 psi hot. Rust is almost non-existent except for a couple of nickle sized sections on the bottom edg of the rockers. Some stats:

Engine:
Lancia 1.8 built in December 2008
11.2:1 compression ratio, 85 mm Venolia forged pistons
Abarth rally cams
Ported head with new OE sized valves
Crank 4.4 lbs lighter, and flywheel 5 lbs lighter, balanced with clutch.
Shot peened rods
TMW 40 mm DCOE throttle bodies
SDS programmable fuel and ignition system with individual coils
130 whp, 120 ft-lb
Gear reduction starter from Vick Auto

Transmission:
Beta unit rebuilt with all new gears. Spare new 1st, 2nd gears
4.21:1 final drive

Suspension:
Koni front struts OE replacements
Koni 8611 double adjustable rear just installed
Eibach and Ground Control coilovers 550# front, 450# rear. 350# pair spares
Tubular control arms with rod ends
Compomotive wheels, 2 each, 13x8, 13x9, 13x10 (new) wheels
Panasport 13x7 ultralights (2)
Superlights 13x8 (2)

General:
~1430 lbs wet
Composite hood (6 lbs) and trunk lid (2.5 lbs)
Sparco seat
6 pt roll bar
Autometer tach, oil pressure, water temp gauges
Fuel tank located in front compartment.
Midwest/Bayless/PBS flares
Keyless start
New front rotors in July
New rear wheel bearings this winter, fronts are in the box.

Am I in the ball park thinking $9000 is reasonable?

Last edited:
Unfortunately...

Am I in the ball park thinking $9000 is reasonable?

I doubt you will get that kind of money. For street X's, it seems like there is about a 3:1 ratio for dollars put in vs. what you can get back out. For race cars, this ratio is much much worse.

I understand you are basing your value on the dollars and hard work you put in, but other people will base it's value on what they can buy it for (or what similar products sell for).

If you do go ahead with selling it, you will want to put together some information about what sanctioning bodies/classes it is legal in (or could easily be made legal in). If it is purely an autocrosser and is not legal or near legal for any door-to-door racing, that might diminish perceived value.

With a street car, there is some percieved value in knowing that you can use it for basic transportation as well as fun. With a race car, it's purely a toy, and that makes it much more difficult for most people to pony up the bucks. If you can't sell it outright but need to sell it, you might get close to your $9k mark if you parted it out. That would be an absolute shame cuz it looks like a very well put-together effort.

Pete

When I sold my racecar...

I sold my DP X to Alex in SoCal for 5k. In my case, I think I was lucky as he happened to be looking for a specific car and mine fit the bill. Otherwise, I am not sure how long it would have taken to sell.

I personally do not think that 9k is out of the question considering the change of engine and work done to it. As a racer, I would give it extra consideration based on the internals and that it also is FI, not carb.

If someone wants to get into racing, or is looking to step up to another level of racing, then you car fits the bill. It would cost well over 9k to build what you are selling.

Advertising and listing it on multiple sites, such as Grassroots Motorsports, and other will help sell it.

Now, the down side. With the economy, I have seen a number of other similar cars (Triumph Spitfire, 13b RX7's, etc) all selling between 5 to 8k in similar setups. However, most of them do not seem as clean or well prepared as you.

If you are really going to sell it, I would start now as it will probably take awhile before you find a seller to connect with.

On the good side, taxes are due and some people will be getting returns!

Hope this helps.

Eric

How many races has this car seen? How many wins? I have seen some X's go for nearly this much but these are cars with winning histories so other than the incredible amount of work that went into them they are proven race cars. Not saying your isn't (I don't know) but when a race car as specialized as an X goes on the market a proven track record will be important.

For example I know that Matt is helping John Hafkenschiel to sell his racer:
http://marketplaceadvisor.channelad...ofiles/deluxeSFshop.aspx?sfid=208227&c=193764

He is asking $8k

Race car value...

Difficult to tell. I'm thinking your car was worthing more when it was street legal (it was awesome looking). As a D mod car, I thing it could be fun but not really competitive (well maybe locally).

You have better chances selling separately 2 set of wheels and asking 7000$ for the car!

But who knows...?

Good luck! Hope you will be able to keep the car.

Daniel Forest
Montreal

The more I think about it the more I think your # is not far off. If you can wait for the right buyer of course. A friend of mine who had built his DHOC 1.8 X (used the Monte Carlo) got a very fair amount for it. Upwards of 12k and it was back in mid 90's. However it was not a race car. It was a street car "Abarthed" X to the teeth that was very well done. At the time it was probably one of a handful (if not the only X) in the states that was running such a DOHC setup.

He waited for the right buyer. The car is in Japan last I heard.

That said, you have a super nice car and great setup that is "true" to the Italian built X and not another Honda swap. That goes a LONG way.

I hope you keep it! I know I would do whatever I could to keep her but I also know some things are just unavoidable.

Good luck...

PS - will you take payments? :innocent:

$9000 reasonable?.....

Absolutely! As someone who has built a DM X1/9, I would say that you are giving it away. Your car is worth much, much more than that.

Ciao,

It's a dedicated slalom car so no race track experience with it. It was as quick and torquey as you'd expect a 1450 lb car to be with 155-160 bhp. Handling is good and balanced, but I was let down by rear shocks that failed halfway through the season forcing me to use KYB trying to control 450# springs:eek::eek:. 8611 Konis fixed that this winter. As will 10" rear wheels. And tubular control arms with rod ends front and rear.

A couple of highlights, car #118
http://creativelines.ca/diverse/HADA Autocross - results event 4.pdf
http://www.wiredmotorsports.com/pitl/Results/2010-results/pitl_2010_ev4-ftd.pdf

I need a week or two to tidy up some ends on the car, but sadly I think it's up for sale soon.

Back