Alternator Swap

rhoadesm

True Classic
So I finally got to doing the GM alternator swap. Got the brackets fab and installed and got the wiring hooked up. When I hooked up the battery it gave a big spark, I heard a click, disconnected battery, and then looked at engine bay and it was smokin', not good. So I guess that somehow I created a ground and blew the alternator? That would be my take on it.

I suppose the alternator could have an internal short (i.e. several diodes shorted), but a wiring error would be my first guess. Photos of the installation?

I'd double check the connections and also look for shorts.

In my stock config, my alternator sense/feed wire was shorted to the alternator case (by the alternator cover plate) and caused the same symptoms you saw. I had smoke, burned wire insulation, etc. I even had a small flame.

Re-wired and ensured no shorted connections. All is good now.
So I finally got to doing the GM alternator swap. Got the brackets fab and installed and got the wiring hooked up. When I hooked up the battery it gave a big spark, I heard a click, disconnected battery, and then looked at engine bay and it was smokin', not good. So I guess that somehow I created a ground and blew the alternator? That would be my take on it.

Done...well almost...

So i found my ground issue and fixed it. Car started and the voltage is better that what it was, still acts a little odd but not as bad as before. So i went to put on the splash shield and it hit the alternator then noticed it was too low. I loosen it all up and removed the belt and tried to put the stock belt on but it is just too short. Someone posted what belt to use but I cannot find the post. Anyone know what belt I need?

Thanks

Of the several major brands sold in local parts stores, I found that only Gates has a belt that is what I would call a perfect fit. Other brands seem to be sized a little longer for the car and when you put it on, you only have a teeny bit of adjustment travel left in the bracket.

Gates #7325 fits onto the alt-wp-crank without having to walk it on. Had to unbolt the alt lower pivot to get that extra scoush of clearance, but it does fit and after adjustment there is still about an inch of travel left on the adjustment arm.

PS: Just noticed you did a GM alt swap-----don't know if the Gates belt I mentioned, which is for the stock later Bosch alternator, would fit or not. But a good way to address this issue would be to take the two belts you have (one-a-little-loose and the other-a-little-too-long ) to the local parts store, and ask them to give you one each of however many sizes are in-between. Take 'em home, fit 'em up, and then bring back the ones you don't use (keep your receipt).

Last edited:
Back