Euro Bumper Conversion Started

4carbs

Low Mileage
I have now had my X for 3 weeks and my OCD has kicked in.

The first thing I did was to rip out the compumotive electronic ignition and installed a brand new original 1500 ignition.

Now I am on to the bumpers. Although I am a purist who generally likes to keep cars as original as possible, the ladder bumpers were original on my 78, but my preference is the euro and original design. I was able to buy a set of original steel euro bumpers (had them sandblasted and refinished but I couldn’t restore the rubber bumper stops as they were far too dry. I ended up using a finish that my body shop recommended to get a “close to” rubber look. I think they came out quite nice.

My biggest concern with this project was getting conversion brackets that would work on my North American spec car with the Euro bumpers. Because of this forum, I was able to find an old post that @rx1100 (Doug) had made them in the past. I reached out to Doug and he was able to make a set up for me. These brackets are VERY WELL designed. I just finished installing the back, and am going to tackle the front tomorrow. So far I am smiles from ear to ear. Will post pics when I finish the fronts.

Peter

IMG_6119.jpeg
IMG_6118.jpeg
IMG_6081.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6121.jpeg
    IMG_6121.jpeg
    272.8 KB · Views: 20
Looks good. I like the quarter bumper look too, but I used the NLA MWB kit. It is a mix of the US and Euro bumpers styles. The MWB set is not quite as stylish as the full Euro set, but better looking than the ladder or late model bumpers IMHO.

20190803_2b.jpg

Hi,

I guess you already know, but for the front you will also need new lenses. The 1974-76 I believe were bolted to the car while the 1977-78 to the bumpers. Since you will get new bumpers, you will also need to find housing an lenses. With the popularity of the 1974 style, they are sought after, but if you are patient enought you will get them. Or they are probably easier to find in Europe since the US 1974 style was kept until the end of 1978 with even smaller (less protuding) bumpers.

I heard a lot of peoples saying they were more looking for the original style, then start doing modifications. There are still some pure-never modifier cars, but I thing most of us are now more into period-correct. Like your Ansa muffler! Have fun!

Btw, 25 years ago a took a lot of pictures of the front of your car at the FFO to be able to reproduce the clean original lines of the nose, headlamps and fenders on my car as I was redoing the bodywork. At that time it was 100% original.

Thanks for the tips guys! Yes, I did a lot of research and ended up buying a pair of euro/74 signal light assemblies, so will be putting them in also. I am not a very mechanically inclined individual, but with the vast amount of knowledge and the community here on XWeb, I feel confident to tackle project like this.

Any tips for doing the front bumpers? From what I have read, grill/spoiler come off then rad in order to get to the shock bolts. As for the front signal flashers, it looks like headlights come off so I can get the new light housing mounted.

Let me know if I am missing anything or tips that may help make the job easier.

Hi,

I guess you already know, but for the front you will also need new lenses. The 1974-76 I believe were bolted to the car while the 1977-78 to the bumpers. Since you will get new bumpers, you will also need to find housing an lenses. With the popularity of the 1974 style, they are sought after, but if you are patient enought you will get them. Or they are probably easier to find in Europe since the US 1974 style was kept until the end of 1978 with even smaller (less protuding) bumpers.

I heard a lot of peoples saying they were more looking for the original style, then start doing modifications. There are still some pure-never modifier cars, but I thing most of us are now more into period-correct. Like your Ansa muffler! Have fun!

Btw, 25 years ago a took a lot of pictures of the front of your car at the FFO to be able to reproduce the clean original lines of the nose, headlamps and fenders on my car as I was redoing the bodywork. At that time it was 100% original.
Wow, that’s a cool story. Yes, I guess I should clarify that same as you I am a period correct guy, and willing to make improvements where it makes sense for the better.

Thanks for the tips guys! Yes, I did a lot of research and ended up buying a pair of euro/74 signal light assemblies, so will be putting them in also. I am not a very mechanically inclined individual, but with the vast amount of knowledge and the community here on XWeb, I feel confident to tackle project like this.

Any tips for doing the front bumpers? From what I have read, grill/spoiler come off then rad in order to get to the shock bolts. As for the front signal flashers, it looks like headlights come off so I can get the new light housing mounted.

Let me know if I am missing anything or tips that may help make the job easier.
For the front bumper removal, I don't remember if you absolutely have to remove the rad. The spoiler and grill removal may be enough. It may just depends on the tool you got. Ratchet or open/close key. It sure is more difficult if you don't remove the rad, but since you save time by not removing the rad. I'm unsure which is the best way. Last time I did remove my front bumper was over 15 years ago.

For the lenses, maybe just opening the headlamps and removing the headlights could provide you enough access to tighten the nuts in the existing openings. I maybe totally wrong also. Just look at where the lens will bolt and try to find which is the best access. It may be by removing the headlamp motor access panel and raising the headlamp. Then using a long extension with the right socket to be able to reach the stud.

The radiator is an easy removal and it gives you the opportunity to clean it and get rid of scale using a strong vinegar. Which it probably needs.

Looks great nice work and nice community resources.

Just wait until you see Yve’s car.

The front is done!!!!! I still have a bit of small adjustments to get it where I want it, but it’s done and I love it. Was able to get to get the bumper shocks out without removing the rad. Just released the 2 bolts holding up the rad and that gave me enough space by lowering the rad an inch or two while still connected. Thanks everyone for all your help, and guidance on how to approach this. Now just waiting for my Carello fogs to arrive and the front is completely done.

IMG_6146.jpeg
IMG_6147.jpeg
IMG_6144.jpeg

The front is done!!!!! I still have a bit of small adjustments to get it where I want it, but it’s done and I love it. Was able to get to get the bumper shocks out without removing the rad. Just released the 2 bolts holding up the rad and that gave me enough space by lowering the rad an inch or two while still connected. Thanks everyone for all your help, and guidance on how to approach this. Now just waiting for my Carello fogs to arrive and the front is completely done.

View attachment 83993View attachment 83995View attachment 83996
Here are a few pics during the install
IMG_6126.jpeg
IMG_6125.jpeg
IMG_6128.jpeg
IMG_6129.jpeg

I did this conversion 20 years ago. I did it the hard way, using a derelict 1974 model and grafting the bumper mounts onto my 1981 model so it would be a true early-style car.View attachment 83962View attachment 83957View attachment 83958View attachment 83959View attachment 83960View attachment 83961
At that time, owners doing that modification were the exception. Now, we have this forum where we share our knowlege and there are merchants selling parts to ease the job. Now, I think half the 1975 and up north-ameriican cars seems to be wearing a variant of the 1974 or single bumper variant. I'm starting to believe I should go back to the 1979 and up bumper to be... different..

Last edited:

View attachment 83993View attachment 83995View attachment 83996
Looks amazing! Love the color too.

Great job! Been doing a similar thing here in UK, using the same superb bumper brackets. I also have the Carello front fog lamps with black covers, but not sure how I'm going to mount them yet. I would need some sort of 90 degree adaptor in order to fasten them to the later style towing hooks. But the fog lamps would then be mounted very low.

I don't want to drill the front bumpers and mount to those. All ideas gratefully received!

Attachments

• IMG_5337.JPG
    IMG_5337.JPG
    267.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5491.JPG
    IMG_5491.JPG
    381.3 KB · Views: 44
You x looks Amazing!!! Congrats on the transformation. I am also going to install carello’s, have bought some off eBay just waiting for them to arrive before I even try to think of how we may be able to properly mount them. Doug rx1900 had mentioned that he has some ideas

Back