Fiat 500 Turbo engine swap

Made some progress today.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Theoretically, the 500 engine, especially the Abarth variant, seems perfect for the X19. They should have designed it as a drop-in for the Exxe…lol

1698742837447.png

Hi Serhiy, that is a neat looking downpipe, will you be going catless?
Another question, in @TonyK's swaps the compressor is clocked 180°s so that the pressurized intake air goes over the top.
Final one, is the black plastic cap the oilfilter container?

What size downpipe is that anyways? The photos make it look like 3" (76.2mm). It's a very nice and clean looking install. Excited to see the end result.

View attachment 78494
Hi Serhiy, that is a neat looking downpipe, will you be going catless?
Another question, in @TonyK's swaps the compressor is clocked 180°s so that the pressurized intake air goes over the top.
Final one, is the black plastic cap the oilfilter container?
Yes, I’m going catless.
I want to try to make pressurized intake go down and then up to intercooller mounted on the top of transmission 🤞.
Black plastic cap is the cap for oil filter.

This is what I’m thinking for the exhaust: 3 inch custom down-pipe, 2 inch stock 500 Turbo pipe and stock X muffler. Trying to stick to the theme of this project, using Fiat parts as much as possible.
IMG_9146.jpeg
IMG_9147.jpeg

Looking great Serhiy! Wish I had more time with my swap but the kids and family have me looked down for a bit lol. Pulling my engine soon hopefully.

What downpipe did you go with? I just bought my Catless from Speedmotive.

Looking good 👍 ATP Turbo has kits for the oil cooling lines and water lines on the turbo if your looking for options.

I also grabbed extension kit for the wastegate rod since it has to be extended now. This will help you if your looking

Wiring harness moved to the driver side, made room for the coolant hoses and coolant reservoir on the passenger side. Intercooler not secured or finished yet, just used for reference and to check for clearance.
IMG_9196.jpeg
IMG_9197.jpeg
IMG_9198.jpeg

That duct will certainly increase the airflow, but I doubt it will be enough. Your IC is very small and placed in a very hot environment. Keep an eye on the intake temp and if it goes high consider having a charge cooler instead. -Installing a Water-to-air IC is not as complex as you may think.

500 and X1/9 hybrid CV axle shaft sample ready to go to the Dutchmanaxles. Long axle from the X should be enough to make 2
IMG_9215.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks tantalisingly close. Great work.

I also have put my air filter near one of the side inlets, actually on mine its the other side but I have a UT engine. I have been thinking of boxing the filter into the side vent, so that I am only sucking in fresh air and nothing from the engine bay in an aim to keep air intake temp down.

Have you had similar thoughts?

Back