Frunk struts revisited

geekdaddy

X1/9 Learner's Permit...
So I'm thinking about the frunk strut mod based on this thread:
http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?posts/31361&page=2

To provide a little better clearance for the Targa, I'm considering this bracket:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390516698748?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

Mounted to the front of the frunk hinge (instead of the side as others have done) which is also flatter -- the side of the hinge is curved a bit. Would also allow the strut mounting point to shift slightly outboard without hitting the frunk side.

Will order some and try to fit the struts in a few months and will report back...

Check clearances for your proposed hinge end bracket mounting location. The clearance from the hinge to the targa top is surprisingly tight, meaning the strut can't be to the inside of the hinge. Make sure the ball stud is the right length as well, too short and it might interfere with the hinge, too long and it can scrape the targa top.

Rob, I'm puzzled........?

.....My installation of frunk struts is coming closer to the top of my to-do list :woot:.....

.....as to why you see the need to install these frunk struts?
Surely they must get in the way when placing/removing the targa top when you want to take it in the car with you (like here in NZ when it can rain at any old time :( ).
Tell me why these struts have any advantage over the standard trunk lid prop? :hmm:

cheers, Ian - NZ

The adventurerrv brackets were used by others but the mounting points stick out pretty far for mounting on the frunk and the hinge. I recall Hussein had to cut the ball joints down on these to make them fit better.

For the ebay mounts that I referenced, these would mount on the front side of the frunk hinge. The inside (flat) surface would be ~flush with the inside edge of the frunk hinge and I think the strut will fit in a manner that it will align closely with the outside of the frunk hinge clear the inside edge of the frunk (if that makes sense!).

I'll try to fit the pieces, check clearances, and take photos when I get the parts.

PS: I purchased the 5150-40 struts from amazon for just over $12 each including shipping. The cost of all four brackets on ebay was ~$19 including shipping. Not too bad...

Lawsa mate

Coz...

1) I'm becoming a lazy old sod,
2) I love having 'em on both ends of me Subaru,
3) It would make loading bags of groceries a hell of a lot easier if I didn't have to put it all down just to prop the frunk lid open,
4) I may be a little addicted to projects..... :geek: :nuts: :wacko:
5) Too many head high tackles during my rugby playing days!!!!!

Need I say more? :wink2:

Sounds like your plan would move the forward pivot slightly outboard of where mine ended up, making the strut more evenly aligned...

X19trunkStruts0017.jpg

Sounds like a reasonable plan. :)

Clevis

I mounted mine directly to the hinge on the hinge side (using a shoulder bolt), and then just made a clevis bracket and welded it to the strut tower on the other side.

I used the gas spring from the rear hatch of a VW Rabbit to make sure I would be able to get a replacement when it wore out. The struts on VW Rabbits were infamous for wearing out... but even though the one I used was already used (from the wrecking yard) it's actually still working just fine, and that's been in there since 1987.

Unfortunately I'm traveling at the moment and will be for a few weeks yet so I can't send any pictures.

Oh, and one is enough; I have it on the driver's side. I was thinking that the force pushing the hatch open ought to be on the same side where I'm pushing it down -otherwise it will want to twist the hatch.

Not really a problem with the very rigid hatch on a hatchback car or a minivan, but our front luggage hatch isn't nearly that rigid.

Yep, that's what done it, cobber!

.....Too many head high tackles during my rugby playing days!!!!! Need I say more? :wink2:...

......Them Ozzy rugby "players" are too scared to tackle round the ankles like REAL men, Rob!
That's why they invented that pansy Ozzy Rules game - ballet for males!! :laugh:

cheers, Ian - NZ

Don't forget...

Don't forget to trim the plastic hinge cover so that the lid can open farther, makes all the difference for tall owners. :nod:

Back