New Alloy Wheels or Old Magnesium ?

Tires should decide wheel choice, not "looks" of the wheel alone.

Do not stagger tire/wheel sizes on the exxe unless the suspension has been properly modified and set up for staggered tire/wheel sizes.
There is no benefit with every disadvantage and problems due to over wide wheels.

Max reasonable wheel should be 6" front & rear from 13" to 15" diameter (50 series tires). 7" wide wheels will produce a list of problems that are no fun at all with no benefits. Wider tire does not increase tire contact patch, wider tire produces a different shaped tire patch of the same area/size.

Too many put wider tires in the rear for "looks" this impacts the chassis/suspension dynamics on a stock/oem suspension exxe in a negative way.
~Not recommended.

100mm bolt circle wheels do not fit on the exxe unless the wheels are modified to 98mm bolt circle.
Add to this, the wheels Must Be hub-centric or hub-centering to assure proper centering of the wheels once mounted to the hubs.
Lowest weight wheel is preferred as lower unsprung weight is a very good thing. Lowest weight wheels are usually magnesium alloy or precision high pressure cast thin wall aluminum alloy or precision thin wall forged aluminum alloy. High quality forged aluminum alloy wheels are good. Another choice would be three piece wheels with a forged alloy center and spun alloy rims that are made up to fitment as needed.

New wheels are highly preferred to old wheels due to all the possible things that can happen to wheels over years and miles of being rolled over _?_?_.

Bernice

Staggering tires doesn’t work that well with an X but we don’t have a variety of sizes available here. I could see 186/60 13 on the front with 195/60 on the rear. If you were to jump up to 14s 185/55 14 is a good size, particularly if you could locate some Alfetta rims either in the 5 star configuration or the more vintage version one sometimes sees on the sedans.
Staggering tire/wheel sizes on the exxe (wider rear) does work... ONLY if the suspension has been specifically modified and set up for this. On a stock or close to stock exxe, staggering (wider rear) causes a host of problems and wonky chassis/suspension dynamics... NOT recommended unless proper expertise is applied as needed.

Bernice

On the shelf, I have a set of 13x5.5 CD31 wheels, a set of 13x6 ATS classics, a set of 13x6 Western/Ansen wheels. I use 185/60/13 tires on all my 13" wheels. On my 85X I have a set of 15x6.5 Monza wheels mounted with 195/45/15 tires. The 15x6.5 wheels/tires did require a little fender adjusting, but really just using a mallet to clearance the lips a bit.

View attachment 83626View attachment 83625View attachment 83627View attachment 83628
.... CD31................................Ansen/Western............ATS Classic...................Monza

I do have 2 sets of steels wheels, but I only use those as rollers when needed during a project. The tires on the steelies are probably over 20 years old and don't hold air very long. :)

I don't do any real racing. I do have a set of Hoosier SRF 185/60/13 radials I will be mounting on 13x6 wheels for a little autocross fun. All other tires are just normal street units, since 99% of the time I am just cruising around town.
Damn Jim, you're like the Tire Rack of Missouri.

So, I went to Hoosier Tires to look at what they had to say.

Here is what they are showing, note the recommended Rim width and Measure rim width. I think you are good on a width between 5.5 to 7" However, if you are using another vendor, such as Avon or Yokohama, they may have a slightly different rim size.

1713214635836.png

Damn Jim, you're like the Tire Rack of Missouri.
Does these pics make me seem more impressive, or more hoarder-ish? 🤔
20240415_162134.jpg20240415_162142.jpg20240415_162147.jpg20240415_162152.jpg20240415_162243.jpg

Note the row of engines and transmissions. I really need to clean out the garage. :(
20240415_162309.jpg

Does these pics make me seem more impressive, or more hoarder-ish? 🤔
View attachment 83636View attachment 83637View attachment 83638View attachment 83639View attachment 83640

Note the row of engines and transmissions. I really need to clean out the garage. :(
View attachment 83641
Jim, at one time I had a full unfinished basement in my house, 1700 sqft of space, completely full of fiat parts. I had purchased a very large storage unit full of Fiat stuff, including 4 cars! It was awesome! hahaha... So no, you are a long ways from Hoarder-ish. Keep trying!

I can't imagine everyone agreeing with that statement. I can't imagine everyone on Xweb agreeing to any statement regardless of topic. :)
By the way, what is the better oil ??
🤡🤡🤡

More seriously,
I found these ones...
LINK
4.7 kg... the Alloy I have now on my X are 5.9 kg (13x5.5)
Good style too... but need expensive spacers....

Also there is a kind of superlite that are ... light...
LINK light for 13x7 wheels... but of course they dont have this version in 13x6 for the front wheel...
🤡 lets back to the oil topic !

That first link for the Revolite 6x13 says :

Fitment 4x95.25mm

That is not the proper Fiat spec of 4x98. It is a small difference, but wobble bolts are required to mount 4x100 wheels on an X, so I guess 4x95.25 would put you in the same situation.

Is this the 13x6 version of the Superlite?

So it appears that to be a moderator of an X19 website you must have at least 300 square feet or 2,000 pounds of X19 parts?

Or

can complete the twelve days of X19mas... 3 transmissions, 2 carburetors and one windshield...
Then you can open your own website with squarespace, you can call it BritBrit-Bayless, and resell some stuff. Also you can take your car out and try to race a ferrari on a mountain road. Then post it for advertising !!

/s 😂

That first link for the Revolite 6x13 says :

Fitment 4x95.25mm

That is not the proper Fiat spec of 4x98. It is a small difference, but wobble bolts are required to mount 4x100 wheels on an X, so I guess 4x95.25 would put you in the same situation.

Is this the 13x6 version of the Superlite?
There is two type of wheels that are superlite... if you look carefully the design is not quite the same, and the weight not the same in particular !
Yes Im aware of the bolt pattern, I thought of getting a spacer but it seems too expensive and hard to get as well...

Tires should decide wheel choice, not "looks" of the wheel alone.

Do not stagger tire/wheel sizes on the exxe unless the suspension has been properly modified and set up for staggered tire/wheel sizes.
There is no benefit with every disadvantage and problems due to over wide wheels.

Max reasonable wheel should be 6" front & rear from 13" to 15" diameter (50 series tires). 7" wide wheels will produce a list of problems that are no fun at all with no benefits. Wider tire does not increase tire contact patch, wider tire produces a different shaped tire patch of the same area/size.

Too many put wider tires in the rear for "looks" this impacts the chassis/suspension dynamics on a stock/oem suspension exxe in a negative way.
~Not recommended.

100mm bolt circle wheels do not fit on the exxe unless the wheels are modified to 98mm bolt circle.
Add to this, the wheels Must Be hub-centric or hub-centering to assure proper centering of the wheels once mounted to the hubs.
Lowest weight wheel is preferred as lower unsprung weight is a very good thing. Lowest weight wheels are usually magnesium alloy or precision high pressure cast thin wall aluminum alloy or precision thin wall forged aluminum alloy. High quality forged aluminum alloy wheels are good. Another choice would be three piece wheels with a forged alloy center and spun alloy rims that are made up to fitment as needed.

New wheels are highly preferred to old wheels due to all the possible things that can happen to wheels over years and miles of being rolled over _?_?_.

Bernice

Thanks for this massive feedback, its what I was looking for when opening this thread.

Because I also have a limited budget (no fancy rare wheels, no spacers...)

This is my choice right now :

Cromodora 13x5.5 CD30 magnesium (3.7 kg) or alloy reproduction (5.2 kg) LINK EBAY
Superlite 13x6 alloy (5.50 kg)

JBW seems like excellent price for the superlite (french website, same wheel, price is double...🥸)
would you guys recommend any other serious website in europe for wheels ?
Especially for the CD30 reproduction !

Regarding any original magnesium CD30... I see a lot of Xers here have them... I guess no one had problem with the magnesium crackign on these particular Cromodora...

s-l1600 (6).jpg
Zh42qV4X2uEJL8qdrmo4Vndl55igEUi70K6G4lrz.jpeg
Z3TPIptkzZVMkpoIafdtkplLhfMzMX4CQxT9p2cN.jpeg

Edit: all this with 185/60R13 tires.

Also you can take your car out and try to race a ferrari on a mountain road. Then post it for advertising !!

/s 😂
X1/9 chasing down a "Ferrari".. done about 13 years ago...

This is an oem as delivered Honda K20A powered x1/9. Far more is easily possible..

As for "Ferrari"...

The Ferrari brand as with other moto states brands is much about brand identity created by winning races, not actual content alone.
As a result, these moto status brands currently attract inept drivers believing in the fantasy their "Ferrari" or similar moto status brands
grants then special moto "powers".. truth and reality can "hit" hard...

Noted you're in France, consider the driving skills of Jean Ragnotti ...

Driver improvement is one of the last appreciated aspects of moto performance,
Bernice

X1/9 chasing down a "Ferrari".. done about 13 years ago...

This is an oem as delivered Honda K20A powered x1/9. Far more is easily possible..

As for "Ferrari"...

The Ferrari brand as with other moto states brands is much about brand identity created by winning races, not actual content alone.
As a result, these moto status brands currently attract inept drivers believing in the fantasy their "Ferrari" or similar moto status brands
grants then special moto "powers".. truth and reality can "hit" hard...

Noted you're in France, consider the driving skills of Jean Ragnotti ...

Driver improvement is one of the last appreciated aspects of moto performance,
Bernice
Yeah I know ;)
The worst is the Zoomers on youtube buying Ferraris and getting them on fire... Or something else stupid.
I have to say I like my X more and more, I couldnt be in a porsche boxter or bmw, just seems wrong...
I also thought about the K20 swap etc.. But actually for road fun the stock motor 1500 is pretty good, will jsut update head in the future I think.

By the way, I think I will keep my spare Cromodora Uno Turbo for track day, they are pretty solid, I can trust them. Style wont be important for track day anyway.

Then I can try to find magnesium for street use.

Thanks for this massive feedback, its what I was looking for when opening this thread.

Because I also have a limited budget (no fancy rare wheels, no spacers...)

This is my choice right now :

Cromodora 13x5.5 CD30 magnesium (3.7 kg) or alloy reproduction (5.2 kg) LINK EBAY
Superlite 13x6 alloy (5.50 kg)

JBW seems like excellent price for the superlite (french website, same wheel, price is double...🥸)
would you guys recommend any other serious website in europe for wheels ?
Especially for the CD30 reproduction !

Regarding any original magnesium CD30... I see a lot of Xers here have them... I guess no one had problem with the magnesium crackign on these particular Cromodora...

View attachment 83668View attachment 83670View attachment 83671

Edit: all this with 185/60R13 tires.

Stock wheel offset for a 5" wide x 13" diameter is 25mm. Get wheels with the proper offset and bolt circle (98mm) as wheel spacers will have built in problems that are not avoidable. There are a number of FWD wheels for Fiat, these are common but do not work/fit properly on the exxe due to these wheel being designed for FWD..

Make tire choices first, then chose a wheel that properly matches the tire. The tire/wheel combo limit, the chassis/suspension is designed for about 22.5" diameter wheel/tire combo. As previously posted, max wheel width on a stock/oem exxe would be 6" wide, max diameter 15" due to tire limitations a diameter of about 22.5". Lowest weight wheel should be high on the priority list.

Most important in wheel selection is not style/fashion alone, proper fitment is going to be a LOT more important once you're behind the steering wheel with those high style/fashion wheels never visible once you're driving.. In that place in time while moving, how the exxe drives/feels via the steering, driver's seat and all is what's significant.

Bernice

Last edited:

Near stock,1500 with big valve head and twin Carb. Looks really good... might have real good suspension to hold that speed.
I mean I understand that porsche driver, his porsche might be 100k usd. Just let the fiat x1/9 passes you.

Near stock,1500 with big valve head and twin Carb. Looks really good... might have real good suspension to hold that speed.
I mean I understand that porsche driver, his porsche might be 100k usd. Just let the fiat x1/9 passes you.
That exxe belongs to a friend of Ulix (here on Xweb) they do the "ring" often.

Bernice

It's funny how small the world is. So, I purchased a set of 40 DCNF carbs and intake manifold back in 1988/89. This is when I lived up by Seattle, in Washington State, USA. A while later, I met up with Ulix who was getting his PHD from the University of Washington and he ended up buying the carbs from me as I was selling them at the time (Yellow X if I remember right at the time.) Of course, he finished his degree and moved back to Germany, however, we have remained in contact via this forum. Funny how life works at times.

Back