Relocation of Late Model Frunk Handle

Dan Sarandrea (Phila)

Waitin' On Parts...
I am not a stereophile...just looking to install a modestly priced system into the car without butchering the doors and door cards.

I wanted to mount speakers in the kick panel areas of the car, but as you know, on the late model cars the frunk release handle lives in that space on the driver's side, so something has to be done to relocate the handle.

Here are the speakers and pods/enclosures:
IMG_2017.jpg

IMG_2016.jpg

IMG_2021.jpg

Of course the speaker mounts can't be installed until the carpet is put back into place. Speaker pod source: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speaker-pod...5?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item5adee23a59

Here's where you can see that the OEM frunk handle has to be moved:
IMG_2058-1.jpg

With the help of JimD, LookforJoe and others, I thought it would be a good idea to "throwback" to the pull release/pop-up style of latch as fitted to early cars.

Got a latch and bracket from Midwest Bayless, flipped the latch so that it pulls to open from the left rather than the right, and fabbed up a bracket to hold the end of the cable sheath.
IMG_2036-1.jpg

The hardest part of this was enlarging the hole in the operating lever to use a pivoting cable stop!!! Geez, the manufacturer case-hardened this part so that it was like trying to drill into armor plate!! I could never find a drill that would work but luckily I had a Dremel side cutting bit that would bite. I free-handed the enlargement and the extra notch for the return spring.
IMG_2029-1.jpg

After experimentng with various universal choke cables, I found this in the Dorman catalog, #55203 universal cable with a locking release handle. Mmmm, chrome, shiny:sun: Made the mounting bracket from a 4"x4" L-bracket from Home Depot.
IMG_2032.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

Here's the operating handle mounted in place with thread-cutting cap screws:
IMG_2049.jpg

IMG_2051.jpg

IMG_2057.jpg

There's just enough clearance to fit the speaker pod in place under the new release cable.

So now the frunk behaves just like one on a 75-78---pull the lever inside and the lid pops up. To close, gently drop in place then press above the latch area until it clicks.

I do not think using this particular handle would work if you decide to retain the original "over-center" late model latch. The handle's ability to "lock" into place is not strong enough to overcome the spring tension built into the late-model pull-down latch. What will happen is over the course of a few minutes the spring tension will cause the handle to creep back into the shaft and then of course the frunk will not be fully closed.

Nice work...

I didn't know about such pods. Makes sense.

I have to say the overall quality of "how-to" posts has stepped up a notch or two lately, makes for good reading. And winter isn't even officially here yet! :read:

Nice work Dan

That will be one seriously custom X when you get finished with it. :)

Back