Replacing rear control arm bushings

petex19

True Classic
Replacing rear control arm bushings
Control arms are removed from the car. With a good vise and a bench, is replacing the rear bushings a DIY job or is a press required?
Any tips appreciated

Well, Bernice will shame me and slap me on the hand, but being without a fancy press and all that, I did a cobbled-together long bolt and properly-sized socket for the press out and press in. Took my time and got it done just fine.

Attachments

• IMG_2901.JPG
    IMG_2901.JPG
    308 KB · Views: 46
Well, Bernice will shame me and slap me on the hand, but being without a fancy press and all that, I did a cobbled-together long bolt and properly-sized socket for the press out and press in. Took my time and got it done just fine.
That's awesome! Could you please explain the socket size, bolt length and the process? Am I seeing the new bushing pressing out the old? What did you press it with?
Thank you

Rear bushing tool, it's traveled..

Currently available for loan if needed.
X_rear bushing tool_assy.jpg

X_rear bushing tool_side.jpg

X_rear bushing tool_top.jpg

Correct size socket with a threaded rod can work if all the needed dimensions are set.
the threaded rod should be 1/2-20 or M12 alloy steel and well lubricated with moly grease due to the forces involved.

Depending on how stuck the bushings are, they can be not too difficult to the C-clamp style bushing tool or vise not being able
to press out the bushings.

Bernice

OMG, Bernice saw this thread. I'm toast.
😬
But seriously, Bernice's tool is the way to go. But if you have a socket that matches the diameter of bushing, carefully prepare and clean the bore in the control arm, and have a 20" socket handle, a slow and steady push the old bushing out, clean the bore and grease it well, followed by cleaning the exterior of the new bushing and lubricating it and pressing in the new with the same threaded high-tensile strength bolt/rod, you can do it. Just takes time, muscle, and watching for problems as you go. Good for building muscles.

Back