Scored piston

carl

True Classic
IMG_0947[1].JPG

IMG_0946[1].JPG

The fun just never stops. One of the pistons on the motor I'm rebuilding is scored as shown above. Bore looks fine, combustion chamber looks fine, just ugly piston on the side. Now most of you will want to stop at this point and go read another post as I'm going to reuse this piston. Not sure how to dress the scaring so if any of you who are still reading have ideas, lay 'em on me.

At least the thrust bearings are good!

Wow, as you say the fun keeps coming.

That looks pretty bad. If the cylinder has no marks, I wonder if the piston was scored in a previous life and reused in this block (cylinder) as is? Otherwise it seems the cylinder would also be scored.

Carefully check the ring grooves, wrist pin bores, etc, for damage and/or wear. If the piston was subjected to a condition to create that much scoring, then it may have other damage.

Well that's the part that has me confused, everything else looks great, even the top of the piston.

Funny, this Fatrat really does not want to be on the road.....maybe not so funny.

Definitely questionable to reuse that, the scoring has to impact the structural integrity of the piston and with your luck it will explode on your first hard pull :D

Back