Stripped lug hole in hub

Just FYI, the part arrived today and appears to be the correct part. Very shiny and new as well. First test was threading in some Fiat lug bolts. Passed. :) Now I will see if my shop can squeeze the car into their schedule this week.

Thanks for the assist! :)
Tire shops boggle my mind. A wheel bolt should be able to hand tighten all the way down to pulling the wheel onto the hub. Instead they beat the hell out of the bolt which should have less than 100flb. It is a wonder they didn’t strip out all four…

should be able to hand tighten all the way down
I'll take that a step further. How about the use of power tools (impact wrenches, etc) for ALL assembly process on ALL components of ALL repairs on cars. This seems to be the norm now. And from what I've seen the power tool is all that mechanics use; no hand tools, no torque wrench. I get that they are looking to save time. However I'm also told most jobs are being completed well under the "book time", which is how the jobs are billed. That indicates they are cutting unnecessary corners at the vehicle owner's expense.

I'll take that a step further. How about the use of power tools (impact wrenches, etc) for ALL assembly process on ALL components of ALL repairs on cars. This seems to be the norm now. And from what I've seen the power tool is all that mechanics use; no hand tools, no torque wrench. I get that they are looking to save time. However I'm also told most jobs are being completed well under the "book time", which is how the jobs are billed. That indicates they are cutting unnecessary corners at the vehicle owner's expense.
Another downside is that my daughter is without her car. It was gone for 3 days before they got it in and realized they couldn't get parts. Now it is back there waiting till they have time again. So probably another 3 days to a week. Fortunately we have other cars and are semi-retired.

It was my call to park it. The original shop and my shop said it was safe to drive with 3 lugs, but I don't think its worth the gamble. Since we are back to the original factory steel wheel lugs for now, they only turn in about 5.5 threads before they bottom out. That doesn't seem like enough thread engagement to me.

I have a set of slightly longer chrome lugs for alloys I will install when we get the car back. I tested one last night and it was 9.5 full rotations till it was tight. That number of threads makes me much happier.

Another downside is that my daughter is without her car. It was gone for 3 days before they got it in and realized they couldn't get parts. Now it is back there waiting till they have time again. So probably another 3 days to a week. Fortunately we have other cars and are semi-retired.

It was my call to park it. The original shop and my shop said it was safe to drive with 3 lugs, but I don't think its worth the gamble. Since we are back to the original factory steel wheel lugs for now, they only turn in about 5.5 threads before they bottom out. That doesn't seem like enough thread engagement to me.

I have a set of slightly longer chrome lugs for alloys I will install when we get the car back. I tested one last night and it was 9.5 full rotations till it was tight. That number of threads makes me much happier.
You just need the thread to emerge one full complete thread beyond the back of the hub.

I verify this using my calipers if I can’t observe it directly. Measure the depth to the back of the hub through the hole, measure the depth of the wheel opening from the shoulder of the chamfer add them together and then subtract that from the measured thread length will get you in the ball park

Another general rule of thumb is to have the same engagement depth as the fastener's width. For example on a bolt with a 13mm diameter shank, have 13mm of threads (length) engaged. That's actually more than really necessary but for a safety related fastener it should offer peace of mind. However I don't know how those hubs are designed so @kmead 's method is MUCH better.

Aside from the lug bolt engagement issue, I think three of four lugs on a temporary basis would be safe....so long as they are torqued correctly and as I said - there's enough threads working. But thankfully she has another vehicle to use anyway.

Hopefully you are on your way to getting everything repaired properly and your daughter will have her car back.

Just to wrap this up. The part from Ebay was correct. The car is back together and my daughter is very happy. I haven't tried to get the original shop that f'd it up to reimburse me yet. The manager there said to simply bring him the repair receipt and he would pay me.

Back