Test pipe cat delete, Euro style 4-2 down pipe...Where to buy?

79X19

True Classic
I have a 1986 1500 FI motor looking to locate a cat delete test pipe. Any suggestions where I might locate a reasonably priced pipe?

Also I have a 4-2 '74 manifold and am looking for a down pipe that I can modify to fit the balance of my exhaust system. Anyone know where I can find one?

Personally - I would always use a catalytic converter. You can get a nice Magnaflow metal substrate high flow cat. It will clean up the stink. I can't stand driving around with it stinking (I have a 35/75 Faza cam on an FI motor, and without the cat - it stinks real bad). I have another vintage car, same thing - after a drive, my clothes stink. I'm gonna put a cat on that!

Anyhow - that's my personal opinion. Nothing wrong with a catalytic.

Take an old cat with the correct end configuration, cut off the ends and weld to a straight pipe of the correct length.

As for a test pipe - I dont see any on the market right now. But one of our vendors used to carry one, so perhaps someone out there has a used or new one they will sell you.

Yes - as Carl says - you could make one yourself from an old cat.

If you prefer a nice new one - I will be making them as part of my upcoming exhaust project. I already have a supply of custom flanges for that. They will be quite reasonably priced. But will be a couple of months till they are available.

As for using your '74 manifold - yes you will need a double inlet downpipe to modify to mate to the rest of your stock system. And will be quite tricky to fabricate. Likely the easiest to find here in N. America will be the downpipe from a Yugo. It is a short 2 into 1 pipe. You would then need to make a pipe from the outlet of it to your muffler. Note that if going that way you would NOT need a test pipe due to where the new system would run.

There are other Fiat double downpipes you could use a base to modify. But most would have to be shipped in from Europe and shipping would be quite costly.

Good luck. Any more questions just ask. Doug

As for using your '74 manifold - yes you will need a double inlet downpipe to modify to mate to the rest of your stock system...

There are other Fiat double downpipes you could use a base to modify. But most would have to be shipped in from Europe and shipping would be quite costly.

Or buy one cheaply here in the USA ('74 128 2-1 downpipe) and modify to suit your needs:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183938559027

s-l300.jpg

Or buy one cheaply here in the USA ('74 128 2-1 downpipe) and modify to suit your needs:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183938559027

View attachment 25961

Haha........good find !!!! Yes, that would be a good basis to start from. I knew of that '74 only USA 128 front pipe, but didn't even mention it as I figured the chances of finding one over here would be almost nil At that price it would be worth it even if you only used the flange and a couple of the bends......

And kinda on this subject Jeff.....would you be so kind as to comment on this thread:
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/x1-9-exhaust-manifold-differences.37534/

Comment there so as it would be better for future reference.

You seem to have good knowledge of the different exhaust manifolds - I think it has tripped you up in the past ? Do you agree with my conclusions and findings ?

Can you comment on the Yugo manifold ? I think ( ??? ) it perhaps has the outlet in exactly the same place as the 4252518 manifold ??

And what about Strada manifolds ? I think the Strada carbed had a single outlet manifold ? And the Strada EFI manifold was dual outlet ? It's outlet was where ??

Thanks, Doug

If you are going through all this effort of sourcing pipes and even then cutting and welding, why not just get an off the shelf header?

I can source Euro 4-2 manifolds, from my guy, if your interested? Can also source the proper Euro X1/9 dual down pipe. He takes the stock Euro exhaust and cuts the down pipe from the muffler, at it's lowest point.
The Yugo down pipe is a good option with solid mid range punch, and is what I'm currently running.
Vibrant Racing offers a nice center entrance muffler with outlets on both sides. The model number is 10633.
The muffler definitely changes in tone and volume after it's been properly seasoned. (Think 70's F1)

Thanks for Looking Yves.
@Eastep I have the 4-2 '74 manifold and just located the Yugo downpipe. Question about the volume of the Muffler you reference. Is it noticeable louder than the stock muffler? I want to be able to enjoy the ride and not be unable to hear the radio.

Thanks for Looking Yves.
@Eastep I have the 4-2 '74 manifold and just located the Yugo downpipe. Question about the volume of the Muffler you reference. Is it noticeable louder than the stock muffler? I want to be able to enjoy the ride and not be unable to hear the radio.
... I thought the exhaust is the radio. Certainly plays the best music
To answer your question:
Yes it is much louder then stock.
The good thing is that all that sound is sent behind the car. Inside the car with the top on and windows up, it's not bad or obnoxious. Top off, windows down, there is more wind noise in the cabin, then exhaust sound.
It's a very high quality piece.

you can also do what I did. open up your old cat, remove the insides, weld it closed again (open the top side and it won't be too easy to tell you modified it)

Do what many used to do, take the cat off, take a pipe or other long steel object and ram it through shaking out any chunks and reinstall.

Back