What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

You need a set of Rhino Ramps Tom. I feel much safer with the car on these than on jack stands. Depending on my mood, I will either back up onto the ramps or use a floor jack to get the ramps under the rear tires. It gives me just enough room to squeeze under and the car is very stable.

And make sure you have all sizes of floor jacks on hand. I have a tool addiction. :)

View attachment 83023

Glad you noticed the oil pan bolts, that situation was on its way to becoming a big problem!
Thanks Jim. Between my house and the shop there's no shortage of ramps. But the ones that have a shallow enough approach angle aren't tall enough for me to fit my fat ass under the car. So even with ramps, there's still jack wrangling required. The stands I used are "huge" and have a very wide base. I double checked that the car was stable before I climbed underneath, and I left a jack in place as a back-up. If I was working and had the disposable income available, I'd definitely invest in a "Quick Jack". For now, I'm just gonna have to keep it old school and suck it up for the times the lift is not available.

Thanks Jim. Between my house and the shop there's no shortage of ramps. But the ones that have a shallow enough approach angle aren't tall enough for me to fit my fat ass under the car. So even with ramps, there's still jack wrangling required. The stands I used are "huge" and have a very wide base. I double checked that the car was stable before I climbed underneath, and I left a jack in place as a back-up. If I was working and had the disposable income available, I'd definitely invest in a "Quick Jack". For now, I'm just gonna have to keep it old school and suck it up for the times the lift is not available.
The Quick Jack is nice, but I'm still nervous getting under any car. They recommend additional support but they may just be a CYA liability thing. Haven't used it on the X yet but definitely nice. 30 seconds to full lift. 24" at the rocker.

Attachments

• 20230219_155610.jpg
    20230219_155610.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 31
Unloaded the engine for Dominick from the truck. Since I usually borrow the engine hoist from work, but it wouldn't fit in the truck with the engine in there - a bit of redneck rigging was required. Hoist then engine , move the truck, bring in the wagon and let 'er down!

1711907974776.png

1711908029344.png

Unblocked the X from its winter slumber & took it around the neighborhood. I wanted to drive it more, but didn't get it state inspected in Oct. Fired right up & love the way the gear reduction starter cranks, but I still hate the sound. For 34 years it sounded the same. Now it sounds like a Honda cranking... The winter projects didn't happen. Now I gotta get moving on the clutch master (slight drip), slave, & speedo cable replacement.
Gosh, the late model cars look just right with trons...

BTW, Happy Easter everyone.

Gosh, the late model cars look just right with trons...

BTW, Happy Easter everyone.
I think they are pretty much hated universally. I like them myself. Toyota made a similar wheel on the 86 MR2. It really could have been the next generation X.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240331_141904_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240331_141904_Chrome.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 31
Tom, here's how to do it:

people-really-are-stupid-43.jpg

PDR_0422.JPG
using-jack-stands.jpg

I think they are pretty much hated universally. I like them myself. Toyota made a similar wheel on the 86 MR2. It really could have been the next generation X.
Yeah...If you want a "14 tron, just re-tap the disks an get some of those MR2 wheels. I think they are perfect period correct.

Had it towed home. :(

This morning it started making a new sound on my way to work. When I arrived I tried to locate what sounded like a loose baffle/rattle in the muffler, but it wasn't the muffler. I suspect it's the alternator at this point. So instead of risking the 43 mile drive home, I called AAA. I figured it's best to wait for the tow truck from the comfort of my office than from the side of the freeway.

1712085681923.png

Had it towed home. :(

This morning it started making a new sound on my way to work. When I arrived I tried to locate what sounded like a loose baffle/rattle in the muffler, but it wasn't the muffler. I suspect it's the alternator at this point. So instead of risking the 43 mile drive home, I called AAA. I figured it's best to wait for the tow truck from the comfort of my office than from the side of the freeway.

View attachment 83211
Ah, here we have the elusive Fiat X-19 in it's natural habitat (said in Aussi-man's voice).

Juuuuuust kidding.

Not really.

Truth be told, the last time this car saw a tow truck was over 20 years ago...
Not pointed at your lovely car, of course.

Just a joke for the general X community.

OK, not really a joke as much as an observation/flashback. I had flatbed driver give me his personal number when I ran out of AAA tows.
We became long time friends.

So, there's a positive.

"The Fabulous Fiat X1/9, bringing people together for over 50 years!"

Yesterday was my second track day. This time on the Folembray circuit (2 hrs drive). My wife and I took the leap of faith regarding the X’s reliability and drove only the X to track (and back!), but I did manage to motivate a friend with a 2016 Nissan Z350 convertible to participate to the track day event, just in case.
View attachment 82857

The circuit is uphill from n° 1 to 3 and downhill from n° 3 to 5, with two hard braking moments, one uphill at chicane n° 2 (at about 140 kph for my X ) and one downhill before turn n° 5 (at about 160 kph), the rest is basically high speed. There were many (more then 10) Porsches, most GT3s and GT4s, a Lotus Exige, a Mustang Fastback, and three Renault Sport Clio RS, besides the latter most vehicles had easily two, three or more times the horsepower of my 1.8 16v X.
View attachment 82858

It was raining at first but it became dry by 14h. Driving on Nankang NS2R when it’s really wet was interesting. After I did a some reconnaissance laps with my wife:
View attachment 82859

I gradually upped the pace, learning to be gentle enough on the accelerator in the wet. I started to run at the same pace as the non GT Porsches and not much slower than the Mustang, until I lost the rear at relatively high speed in the downhill chicane n°4, overcorrected and did a 720° in the opposite sense, luckily without any cars close. So now I finally have a first-hand experience what snap-over steering is all about.

Later in the dry the high horsepower cars started to become much quicker. My friend I the Z350 had blast too, he was wise enough to start his first stint with a professional instructor. Later in the afternoon, I drove a stint behind him. I was quicker in the braking zones, the turns, and even the first part of the straights (because my exit speed was higher). The Z’s horsepower allowed him to move away on the second half of the straights.

With the new hp2 Brembo pads up front I left the brake proportioning on full (no pressure reduction in the rear, so 61%/39% F/R balance) and did not have any rear wheel lock-ups. No front lock-up either, but that is because I couldn’t bring myself to braking late enough. The Porsches GT3 and 4 started lighting-up their brake-lights at the 150m mark, I manage to improve during the afternoon to 75m, but not later. So the limit is my courage, not the X’s (new) brake system, yet.

My friend and I did have a scary moment together at the end, though. My friend slowed down for cooling but forgot to stay off the race line and turned-in at the entry of chicane n° 4 while I was passing him. I had to tighten the corner more to avoid contact, more than the available grip, which caused my second spin of the day. With the experience of the earlier event I did nothing but braking, while my friend who hadn’t seen me before, steered away. After my 360° we were side by side, both pointing in the correct direction. An experience richer, but one we will avoid in the future.
View attachment 82860
Thanks for the story. You mention snap oversteer. I had a 3 such events on track with my 7 in. and 8 in. wide wheels (13 in), with 185/60 and 205/60 tires. I advised to switch to 6 in. wide wheels with 185/60 all around. Problem solved! Wider wheels looks sexy on road but are not advisable on track. In my experience. What size wheels are you running?

Thanks for the story. You mention snap oversteer. I had a 3 such events on track with my 7 in. and 8 in. wide wheels (13 in), with 185/60 and 205/60 tires. I advised to switch to 6 in. wide wheels with 185/60 all around. Problem solved! Wider wheels looks sexy on road but are not advisable on track. In my experience. What size wheels are you running?
You're welcome.

I'm currently running 15x6 inch rims with 195/50R15 front and 195/55R15 rear tires, Nankang NS2Rs.

The whole track experience is still new to me. I think the NS2Rs grip well, but suspect in wet conditions they remained too cold.

The tire pressures started to rise in dry conditions, so I experimented by dropping the rear pressure a bit to increase rear grip, but it felt more loose. Not sure if that was actually the case or because of my driving, but it was fun either way.

Last edited:
Correct, the exxe chassis/suspension is designed for identical sized wheels/tires all around. Alter this, the dynamics becomes "wonky" unless the chassis/suspension gets properly adjusted. Wider tires/wider wheels do not increase tire contact patch, wide only alters the shape of the tire patch. This is due to the force pushing on the tire remains the same (unless there is aero down force applies).

Keep in mind, the tire/wheel combo needs to be in the 22.5" OD range within some small percentage.

Want more grip, go to a softer compound tire.

Same goes for "raking" the exxe by lowering the front leaving the rear up.. Again, the chassis/suspension is not designed this way. Properly set up with close to oem setting the exxe is slightly nose up.

As for snap oversteer, any sudden shift in weight due to letting off the throttle in a turn with enough "G"s will nearly instantly snap spin the exxe. Much the same applies to any mid engine chassis. Notable, mid engine chassis motos will spin about it's CG which on the exxe is at the back's tail bone of the driver... Essentially, never let off the throttle mid-turn, brake or similar of any driver action to cause a sudden weight shift.. unless you're a world class driver that knows precisely what ya doing.

That ole, stand on the throttle, brake HARD as the bakes will stop in to the turn, make the turn/apex then stand on the throttle. One of the things drivers new to road courses is early apexing which caused a host/range of problems.

~Keep the chassis/suspension loaded by acceleration, braking, cornering. Do Not Coast...

All it takes is to setup the first turn wrong which is followed by never being able to connect the turn lines proper... While this is part of learning how to track drive, during a race, this does not always apply due to "dicing and more"...

Bernice

Last edited:
In my case, when I experienced snap oversteer it was because my springs were too stiff compare to my soft shocks. I was running 350 lbs front in 300 rear with worn stock shocks. R-compound tires, lowered suspension. 13x6 wheels with close to 0 offset. Front sway bar. Car became way more predictable and stable with slightly softer springs and/or better shocks (non adjustable Koni's).

Back