What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Today I fixed a cold-start problem. I wasn't getting power to the thermo-time switch, so I installed a used, working relay bought from another forum member, and found out that was only part of my problem. My thermo-time switch was now getting power, but it wasn't grounding, so the cold start valve still didn't turn on. I decided to wire a ground switch under the dash so I can turn on the cold start valve manually with the push of a button. I actually like this set up better than having it automatically spray fuel when cold starting. Its a little like having a manual choke--simple and less to go wrong.

Today I installed the starter the engine the trams the refurbished A arms the new five speed axels the new hubs and reconditioned brakes oh and new pads um and that's it

Yesterday I

Sanded down the huge gob of bondo on the nose of the car, gave it its stock shape, and then primered it up. Once I get the hood sanded and primered, its off to the paint shop to get it back to its silver and blue!!

Slacker...! ;)

LOL... Yea then today I went in and realized that the Throw out bearing was stuck and the shifter would not budge. Somehow I got it wedged when I mounted. So I proceeded to take everything appart Fix the problem and put it all back in un under 3 hours....:dance::laugh::hmm:

Moves under it's own power!

Here's the completed Uno Turbo Mk1 motor in Il Mela Verde running Megasquirt FI and Ford EDIS ignition. Eventually I might switch from a fast idle solenoid to a PWM idle valve so those wires are still bare.

This weekend I finished the final turbo plumbing, bled the clutch and radiator, and played with the tune a little bit. I got it off the lift then took it for its maiden voyage around the driveway and back into the shop!

Now all I need is another dry weekend to take it out for some real tuning time and see how good/bad the turbo oil seals actually are.

Without a distrubutor it's amazing how easy it is to get to the oil dipstick. It's right there all by itself!

a8b2035a.jpg

8391cb72.jpg

Steve, it is looking really nice!

Not having the darn air flow meter sure cleans up things as well.

Nice!

Eric

Chump car update.

Ok, so I got roped into doing Chumpcar with Mark Scholz.

The old engine in our chump X was tired, so out it came. Block is at the machine shop getting decked. I had some fun today and setup a jig to polish the crank. Not as hard as I thought, but very "redneck" in its approach. The end results were very nice.

Once the block is back, it should be going back together soon.

This engine has had the living crap beat out of it so I was expecting some really bad looking parts on the bottom end. What I found was the opposite. The pistons look great, the only thing which needed replacement was the bearings. Even then, it was minor wear...

These things really do have a good bottom end.

Eric

Wow!

Took the UNO Turbo conversion out for its first drive/tune today. Wow, what fun! I was afraid it wouldn't run well until the VE table settled in, but Tuner Studio's VE Analyze Live brought it in fast. It was mostly just driving around listening to the whoosh as the turbo pushed air through the intercooler, and trying to remember I'm breaking in new rings and to cut it out. :dance2:

The Ford EDIS ignition is working beautifully. I was worried with others having issues, but so far so good. And it makes for such an uncluttered and clean installation.

I'll make a few more drives when the weather permits, then maybe post my VE table for some experts to critique since I've never done this before. I still have to get the ASE and WUE dialed in, and have done nothing with accel.

three days worth of work

Took out left side rear suspension, dropped the gearbox.
IMG_20120220_180452.jpg
Pulled out the oil pan and oil pump. Pulled one of the crank main and checked for wear. Pulled old thermostat housing and tube. Modified housing for turbo coolant hose.
IMG_20120220_180517.jpg
Upgraded oil pressure relief spring (Thanks charlie!). Cleaned engine block, reassembled oil pump and oil pan.

Fab'd up a grill.
grill.jpg

Re-did my redo of GM alternator top bracket (the whole bracket plate had broken off)
altmountbroken.jpg

Fixed situation where lost dash lights/brake light, blinkers.....everything on first fuse (furthest left). I think it was an LED bulb I had in heater control light, looks a tad melted, I think the wire leads got a little tweaked and shorted, that's all I could find "wrong" new fuse and not blowing anymore so hopefully.
Rotated tires.

Marathon session...

Got the block back from the machine shop to surface it. Honed it, washed it a couple of times, then fitted rings, pistons, bearings, crank, etc... Got it all back together and off to Mark Scholz for install in the Chump car.

Couple of notes. I obtained a dishwasher and it works well, except for the following. A Block is very heavy and the tray will deflect if not reinforced. Also, do not use the hot air dry option. This could be considered "fast rust setting" instead.

Always fun...

Eric

The work begins...

So far the bumpers have been removed (will be offered for sale soon), the luggage rack is off (for sale on ebay), the radiator has been removed to prepare for replacement item, plugs removed and lubricant added to cylinders to try to free up the "stuck" engine, and many, many hours of scrubbing the interior to try to remove many years of dust. Still working on that!

The shopping list of parts needed is growing, but we expected that.

A new battery will be connected in the next day or two so we can assess what is working and what isn't...

Cheers,

Rob

Installed a stainless steel coolant reservoir.

The plastic reservoir developed a pinhole leak at the "belly button". I had a stainless steel one that I bought from someone here earlier, but the bottom hose nipple was dented and had a crack in it. I made a new barb section for the nipple:

DSCN0471.JPG

I cut the bottom outlet off above the crack and soldered in the new barb section. Here it is before soldering:

DSCN0485.JPG

And soldered:

DSCN0486.JPG

The upper mounting bracket was missing, so I got a steel strap from the lumber section at Home Depot and bent it to fit. Here it is painted Rustoleum "Sunrise Red":

DSCN0495.JPG

Last edited:
Back