Rust!

I found a local windshield supplier that found me a new one for a reasonable price. I think it was ~$200-250. I installed it myself. Figured it wasn't big money compared to all the painting and other stuff I was doing and didn't want to have to replace it 5-10 years down the road due to further delamination, pitting, etc.
To be honest, the reason I want to keep the original windshield is the original emissions label on it. The car has 34,000 miles and I think the original decals add something....

Well, no update or photos this week. I guess I'll have to call tomorrow to see what is happening.

Getting a little anxious, I'd like to have her back for the 4th....

Paint

Well, she is in paint
1986FIAT023.jpg

how cool!
I sure hope to save mine someday, the tin worm is just destroying it.
I was lucky, the only rust was:

• the corner of the windshield. Once out they found that this was only surface rust.
  • FRUNK from previous battery acid spillage.
Everywhere else is solid.

The car was well cared for and JimD had her in great shape when I bought it from him.

It is going to be awesome

The car is going to look like new again Tim. :) Very exciting.

Well, they called today. They are putting her back together and needed a new rubber seal for around the rear window. The old one was apparently too brittle to re-install. One call to MWB and the parts should be on their way.

They estimate they will have it back together by the 15th but with my schedule I can;t pick it up until the 21st. I'm expecting more photos in a few days.

Late to the game, but when I had my respray done a little while back:

xpinstriping2_zpsf20792fc.jpg

Hand painted pinstripes, buried under the clear coat.

There is a dual line of gold and black. I paid about $150 for this.

TouringJoara_zps62e6bb1f.jpg

pinstripe_zps1def9de4.jpg

And I remember looking at a "new" 86 forsale in 89 or so that was black with a solid red pinstripe and thought it was stunning.

I gotta say...

That color combo rocks! :headbang:
(but you already know I'm partial to that color combo. :) )
Best looking X IMHO :thumbsup:

I hope the paint is worth it, I have been on the MegaBus for three hours now!

Slow internet....

Looking forward to seeing the final results

I hope their bodywork skills and your bodywork budget were equally generous...if so, the black color will be rewarding!

(Otherwise, black will show every little imperfection:blackeye:.....keep your fingers crossed!!!)

I hope their bodywork skills and your bodywork budget were equally generous...if so, the black color will be rewarding!

(Otherwise, black will show every little imperfection:blackeye:.....keep your fingers crossed!!!)
they are crossed. I've always received good work/service from these guys.

I'm now remembering why I don't like Atlanta traffic!

Finished Photos Large flile warning

Well, yesterday was a long day. Up at 2AM and on a bus at 3:30 for a five hour ride. My trips are usually on an airplane and I end up on an island with an umbrella drink in my hand. Not ending up in Atlanta...

I got to the body shop and I was blown away. Hey, this is not a concours paint job by any stretch of the imagination. But, I wanted paint and didn't want to pay more for it than I did for the X.

I few little minor issues that they took care of while I was there and I was on the road by 11, ith a 3 hour ride ahead of me. I'm not sure how others feel, but my fun in the X is on back roads not the interstate for three hours.:bored:

I washed her and went over everything this morning. I can only find one what I would call a flaw, two issued I already knew about and it looks like they didn't reinstall the front grill correctly.

I had several surprises when I picked it up and am not sure how I feel about some on them. But, i have to admit all were caused by me not being clear up front on how the job should be done. The were:

The outside rearview mirror housing were painted.
All bumper trim was painted
The engine cover was painted gloss along with the body
The roof was painted
The stripes are tape.

All of it looks great to me, but I'm not sure on the durability of paint on the plastic items. As to the tape stripes, the factory stripes were tape so no great loss there.

On to the pictures.

PaintAfterFront.JPG

PaintAfterHood.JPG

PaintAfterLeftSide.JPG

PaintAfterLF.JPG

PaintAfterLR.JPG

PaintAfterRear.JPG

PaintAfterRF.JPG

Looks great to me

Very nice Tim. I am very jealous. Both of my Xs need paint and it will be along time before I can get that taken care of. I am really glad the 86 went to a good home. :)

It looks pretty darn good to me! I had my plastic bumper parts painted as well. A good paint shop will use a special plastic primer for optimal adhesion and then an additive to the paint to make it more flexible. I went with satin for the engine cover and bumper parts but think your "all gloss" approach looks great!

Don't change a thing Tim... It looks GREAT!

As for the tape stripes... REAL paint doesn't look much better or worse and all new cars come with tape as well.

The BIG plus is with a hair dryer and 10 bucks... You can change them to be any color you want!

In your case though... the red POPS! Time to redo the interior to match! HA!

Congrats!

As for the tape stripes... REAL paint doesn't look much better or worse and all new cars come with tape as well.

The BIG plus is with a hair dryer and 10 bucks... You can change them to be any color you want!

In your case though... the red POPS! Time to redo the interior to match! HA!

Congrats!
a little at a time with the wife.....

Back