500 Abarth 1.4 Turbo swap.

As the right engine mount is completed, work commences on the lower dog bone mount. This mount has not been fabricated yet so templates will be used to cut the pieces and another jig is used for proper alignment. How Tony keeps track of everything, I’ll never know. Suffice it to say, this man has left very little to chance in this build.
IMG_3278.jpeg
IMG_3279.jpeg
IMG_3281.jpeg
IMG_3280.jpeg
IMG_3283.jpeg

So, cautionary tale! When changing a water pump on a 2014 venza be very careful when lifting the engine using the oil pan. 🤦🏼‍♂️ Fortunately, changing the pan is a pretty straightforward procedure unlike changing the water pump. This only took Tony and I a couple hours allowing us to work on my car for a bit. Pictures will show modifications to the fuel tank for clearance and welding of a firewall piece to the existing spot. Disclaimer, I am not a welder! Lol! Had to grind a couple high welds. 🤦🏼‍♂️
IMG_5326.jpeg
IMG_5329.jpeg
IMG_5330.jpeg
IMG_5331.jpeg
IMG_5332.jpeg
IMG_3293.jpeg
IMG_5337.jpeg
IMG_5338.jpeg
IMG_5339.jpeg
IMG_3297.jpeg
IMG_3294.jpeg
IMG_5341.jpeg
IMG_3302.jpeg

Ok, trying to catch up with some of the work Tony has accomplished. First, The access panel to the engine bay from the passenger compartment is fitted which requires some "reconfiguring" of the sheet metal to say the least. Wrestling may be a better descriptive word actually.. Sure you can buy weldable studs but what's the point of owning a lathe if you're not going to use it?!? These studs are of course welded into place to allow the removal of this panel for access to the back side of the engine for service and oil changes. (same as the old panel but bigger, better, prettier.) The AC compressor in Bob Martin's car (#002) was unfortunately destroyed by contamination. A flush was performed but to no avail. A suction screen should prevent this from happening to mine. My car was not an AC car and frankly, in the summer in Ontario Canada it doesn't get unbearably hot. (in my opinion) Nothing that removing the top won't cure anyway. The AC will instead be used to cool the intercooler instead of water. Yes, more custom fabrication.
IMG_3322.JPG
IMG_3325.JPG
IMG_3327.JPG
IMG_3329.JPG
IMG_3330.JPG
IMG_3331.JPG
IMG_3339.JPG
IMG_3337.JPG
IMG_3340.JPG
IMG_3343.JPG

Next comes the intake box. This is something that I absolutely love. So much thought was put into this part and it shows. By placing the filter box on the other side of the firewall we're able to grab much cooler air. Adding an inlet in the side of the box which goes through to the scoop on the outside of the car is genius. Unfortunately, when the box was initially made it was based off of the box that was made for Bob's car and was a little too big for this build. Every build Tony has made has had slight differences as he has allowed both Bob and I to request different things. So, a pivot and onward! Enjoy!
1.JPG
1.5.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
9.5.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG

I know it's just a personal opinion, but I love the fact you are keeping it all Fiat. Like a heart transplant coming from someone in your very own family. "Protect the brand..."

BTW, I also fab'd and installed the same metal panels (adjacent the side air ducts) in my current build. Cardboard originals were crap, and a production mystery to me.

Good job so far, Mike. Looking forward to more posts.

I know it's just a personal opinion, but I love the fact you are keeping it all Fiat. Like a heart transplant coming from someone in your very own family. "Protect the brand..."

BTW, I also fab'd and installed the same metal panels (adjacent the side air ducts) in my current build. Cardboard originals were crap, and a production mystery to me.

Good job so far, Mike. Looking forward to more posts.
Yes! Although the Honda K swap is very cool I do have pride in knowing my car is "pure". It's also nice to see that the abarth swaps are starting to gain popularity.
Yes, very flimsy. Kind've like the material used behind the thin sheet metal in the exhaust area. Nasty stuff.

Last edited:
The fuel tank has already had some "alterations" to the shape of it but is in need of some desperate TLC. This car is originally from Pennsylvania and spent most of its life resting in a garage. This explains the overall good shape of the body. Unfortunately, The fuel tank suffered. Lots of scale build up. To remove the "sock" filter a hole saw was used and as you can see, nasty! Tony has turned a stainless steel flange to accommodate a Mercedes removable filter. I will perform a por-15 fuel tank treatment. once complete, I'll post the results.
IMG_3405.JPG
IMG_3406.JPG
IMG_3409.JPG
IMG_3410.JPG
IMG_3412.JPG
IMG_3413.JPG
IMG_3414.JPG
IMG_3415.JPG
IMG_3416.JPG
IMG_3417.JPG

Next comes a very exciting part of the process indeed. The engine which has been living in the test body is now removed and placed on a pinned cart to allow for easy installment into the road car. The "brains" of this build live in a beautifully constructed box which fits where the previous access panel through the trunk was. This box was hand made and in this third variant of Tony K's builds is fully removable. This is not a permanent mating of the road car and engine as the engine compartment will need to be sandblasted and painted for longevity and aesthetics. All of that hard work leading up to this point is worth it as the engine slides right into place like a glove.
Very satisfying. Although it looks like work is coming to an end, there is still much that is required to make this car look and feel like it just rolled off the production line.
IMG_3418.JPG
IMG_3419.JPG
IMG_3420.JPG
IMG_3423.JPG
IMG_3427.JPG
IMG_3428.JPG
IMG_3430.JPG
IMG_3431.JPG
IMG_3432.JPG
IMG_3433.JPG

Next comes a very exciting part of the process indeed. The engine which has been living in the test body is now removed and placed on a pinned cart to allow for easy installment into the road car. The "brains" of this build live in a beautifully constructed box which fits where the previous access panel through the trunk was. This box was hand made and in this third variant of Tony K's builds is fully removable. This is not a permanent mating of the road car and engine as the engine compartment will need to be sandblasted and painted for longevity and aesthetics. All of that hard work leading up to this point is worth it as the engine slides right into place like a glove.
Very satisfying. Although it looks like work is coming to an end, there is still much that is required to make this car look and feel like it just rolled off the production line.
View attachment 82893View attachment 82894View attachment 82895View attachment 82896View attachment 82897View attachment 82898View attachment 82899View attachment 82900View attachment 82901View attachment 82902
Congrats to you both!

I look in on this project every 3-4 months to see how it’s progressing. I get an anxiety attack every time over the amount of fabrication. I can say the total run time on my MIG is probably equivalent to the time spent on just ONE of your fabricated creations. Just incredible. Looking forward to its completion.

Here's some more images looking into interference issues. There are 3 items of concern that will be looked into. The exhaust is mounted as well. No need for a muffler as the turbo and downpipe sufficiently dampen noise but leave a beautiful grunt. A simple section will be fabbed up to exit out the rear cutout later.
IMG_3436.JPG
IMG_3437.JPG
IMG_3438.JPG
IMG_3439.JPG
IMG_3441.JPG
IMG_3442.JPG
IMG_3444.JPG
IMG_3445.JPG
IMG_3446.JPG

Back