KYB Strut Question

Regan Burba

True Classic
Hi, this is related to a recent thread regarding the front struts for my 87 X.
I'm replacing the front struts with some used ones that I had picked up which are Way Assauto struts which seem to be in pretty good shape but i don't really know how old they are.. I'm thinking about just getting new KYB's while I have everything apart as they are cheap enough. However, someone had told me before that he did not like how the KYB's felt in his Fiats. Has anyone else experienced this or have any thoughts on how the KYB's feel/drive. Would there be an advantage to keeping the Way Assauto struts as they are to my understanding more of an original type of oil strut. I will be eventually be replacing the rear struts with with KYB's as they will probably be the most available and affordable option. I think the rear struts are original, I can't remember the name but they are brown. keep in mind that I am not trying to go crazy with the suspension in this car, just trying to make it a good driver.

I don't know of anyone who is against KYBs on their Xs. Some chatter from the spider guys about them but most of us run KYBs on spiders too as it's just about all that's available.

Way Assauto? I have never heard of that brand.

I agree with carl. I have had kybs on all of my Xs. I don't think I have ridden on a stock strut since I had a brand new X back in 1980.

Last edited:
KYBs are fine as are the original WayAssAuto if they aren't worn out.

If your rears are original, either choice in good shape will be a huge improvement.

Way Assauto are a Fiat supplier. I think they also did the bumper shocks. At a time, KYB was considered as a sportier version than stock struts. Something halfway between stock and Koni. I think, actually, they are more a standard replacement part. I also never heard of bad comments about KYB's. If your shocks are working fine, there is no reason to change them unless you want a performance option. As you probably already know, appearance of a strut housing doesn't suggest it is still working fine. If you can raise and compress each shaft by hand with approx the same strength and they are moving with constancy, then you could try them.

Seriously? WayAssauto was an actual Fiat supplier? The name sounds like a shady tuner shop. :) I learned my "something new" for the day.

Way-Assauto are the OEM supplier of strut for the X1/9.

If they are not worn out / leaking then you would be best to stick with these.

People only use the KYB as they are cheap... IMO cheap and nasty... and the car just won't ride as nice compared to the original equipment strut. In all honestly, most people couldn't give you a direct comparison between OEM and KYB as they have never compared anything to the OEM strut in good condition, only as a worn out / leaking item. I have, and can tell you the OEM units ride far nicer.

SteveC

Thanks for the input everyone, that’s the info I was looking for. I’m likely just going to pick up some KYB’s while I have everything apart. It’s hard to tell if the ones I have are still ok, it is much easier to compress them than to pull up.

easier to compress than extend is how they should be. there should be an even resistance throughout the entire stroke and no evidence of oil leakage.

SteveC

Ok thanks Steve, that’s good info also,
I’ll have to take a closer look at them later. If I have to eventually replace rears, is it a big deal to have KYBs in back and oil in front? Or is that looking too much into it?

stole this pic from an ebay auction:

upload_2018-4-6_10-22-47.png

Off topic, but Way-Assauto seems to have also made bicycle components! Very cool! (like Campagnolo)

Stolen from google images :)

upload_2018-4-6_10-33-46.png

For what its worth, I have KYB's on both my X's. One with stock shocks and one with the upgraded Vick's shocks. Both are fine - actually better than fine - I enjoy the ride and handling.

What I would advise is that you shop for a good price. I've seen KYB's sell for anywhere from $40 to $90 apiece.

Ed

I think the difference is that the original WayAssauto struts were a basic oil strut, whereas the KYBs were nitrogen-gas charged and tuned for a little bit more "control" therefore a little bit less comfortable ride. Like Daniel noted, the continuum was WayAssauto----OEM, KYB----sportier and firmer, Koni----sportiest and firmest.

Right now the most economical choice are the KYBs as any other strut manufacturers that did once make replacements for the X are long out-of-production, and I think in the future we'll be fighting over the remaining KYBs.

The currently available KYB struts for the X1/9 are a different technology from the original KYB's. The original design was the Dr.DeCarbon high-pressure mono-tube, same as Bilstein. They were considered the "affordable" Bilsteins and named "Gas-A-Just". However they no longer offer that design for this application. The current KYB's for the X1/9 (and many other models) are a twin-tube low-pressure hydraulic style very much like the OEM struts, named "Excel-G" (some may also remember the "GR-2", the same as Excel-G but painted a different color). This has been true for many years now and you won't find any new Gas-A-Just (GAJ) units for our application. However that is not necessarily a bad thing depending on your intended use of the vehicle. The two designs are very different; the GAJ were much stiffer and likely the reason for any negative reports you may have heard about KYB's (on a street driven car), while the current EG is more compliant (like the OEM units were) and a more comfortable ride. At one time you had the choice; GAJ for high performance, EG for normal street driving. The GAJ was also the more expensive option. But now only one choice (EG), which sell for about $50-60 each.

Generally it is suggested to have a matched set on either side and at either end of the vehicle. Basically keeping the same characteristics all around for balanced handling.

A company having the name "Way Ass" really does sound like some kind of a joke from a "B" movie. :)

"Way Ass"

ha! - well, it probably sounds a lot cooler in Italian! :)

I have KYB GR-2 struts in my car. My car is lowered, on IAP springs (fronts are modified to be even lower to level the car). The ride is OK, no bounce, but the rebound feels abrupt. I've had these struts on the car for about 12 years now, not many miles on them.

The front struts no longer hold pressure, but the performance doesn't really feel any different to me so I'm not going to change them. (the strut doesn't go back "up" on its own when you have them apart, I suspect this actually happened in short order, the gas charge doesn't hold for a long time).

I'm glad someone does make struts though! They're fairly inexpensive as well :) - but I'm glad there are better solutions out there if one wants to spend the money.

Back