KYB Strut Question

Daniel, the black color indicates they are the current model KYB's. The G-A-J were mostly white (but later ones are silver), the GR-2 are mostly silver, then they went to the now black Excel-G. And the part number confirms front X1/9.

those were the first GEN KYBs that were the stock replacement strut ---> not gas-charge.
Discontinued in the 90's sometime.

Greg you are right. The more recent non-gas charged are also black color (which is why I was thinking these are newer), but the old part number says they are the earlier ones. Good call.

I located an old instruction sheet and part number (363017) for my old KYB gas strut inserts:

KYB Gas Strut Cartridge Instructions.jpg

Any chance you have something that states the warranty coverage for them? I was trying to remember what they offered back then, I think it was 1 or 2 years with unlimited mileage. I know I exchanged a few sets for new ones under warranty, despite them being physically damaged from off-road abuse. They were good about that in the early days. But things have changed.

Bilstein offered the million mile warranty, which I also utilized a couple times. But they weren't so easy to work with. You had to buy new replacement units (at full retail price) and ship your old ones to them (at your expense) for testing. You also had to prove you were the original purchaser with the original receipt. If they approved the coverage then they would refund you for the purchase of the replacements. Otherwise not. Once they even wanted pictures of the car. And they always had a bit of an attitude, as if it wasn't possible to actually wear out their shocks...but I did.

Any chance you have something that states the warranty coverage for them? I was trying to remember what they offered back then, I think it was 1 or 2 years with unlimited mileage. I know I exchanged a few sets for new ones under warranty, despite them being physically damaged from off-road abuse. They were good about that in the early days. But things have changed.

Bilstein offered the million mile warranty, which I also utilized a couple times. But they weren't so easy to work with. You had to buy new replacement units (at full retail price) and ship your old ones to them (at your expense) for testing. You also had to prove you were the original purchaser with the original receipt. If they approved the coverage then they would refund you for the purchase of the replacements. Otherwise not. Once they even wanted pictures of the car. And they always had a bit of an attitude, as if it wasn't possible to actually wear out their shocks...but I did.
I found the warranty stapled to the receipt. It said 2 years or 30,000 miles. Paid $169 for four of them.

Back