Non AC Heater core Fiat 124/2000 in a "X"

Vick Auto carries brand new cores at a reasonable price, can you find a shop that can do it for less?
I think Daniel was saying to have the original X1/9 core rebuilt, not a 124 core as in the VAS listing. No idea if there are still any radiator repair shops in existence that will rebuild a heater core. And even less idea what that would cost. But it certainly could be an option. And being the X1/9 core, it would not require any mods to the box. Unfortunately it is getting very difficult to find any radiator repair shops that will even work on radiators, let alone heater cores.

Since most radiators have been the disposable aluminum/plastic type for over 20 years, there is not much demand. Also, the EPA regs are much tougher for the cleaning and soldering processes. My radiator guy uses a shared compliant facility in San Jose when he has to do that sort of work. He could not justify the cost of upgrading his shop, especially with the low volume of work. It might be interesting to see if the factory in Benicia making X radiator cores also makes X heater cores.

The EPA (and other agency) regulations are likely a big part of the reason, but I learned that many (most?) radiator shops that actually offer repairs (instead of just replacements) use some type of glue to seal leaks - not solder. Either an epoxy or a plastic filler seems to be the two most common. I'm sure this is also a result of the different materials they have to deal with on the various types of radiators. But it seems to be their answer for even the old metal ones. Perhaps they never learned to solder? Only the 'old' guys would know how I suppose.

If an X core were available, I wouldn't have tried this in the first place; when I saw my X heater core, I was struck by how similar it was to my old '75 124 sport coupe's core, and the Vick 124 core was on sale, so smaller risk if it failed.

The 124 core is 3 rows, the X's core just 2; hence the small increase in thickness.

Isn't rebuilding by a radiator shop an option?
I have a real radiator rebuild shop in Hagerstown that works mainly with cars and farm equipment. They have done a lot of work for me in the last 30 years. The said the heater could not be recored and be reliable and they never turn down business.

Hello Todd,

On the picture you can see the air flap is not full open, if I try to full open the actuator they will hit the core.
For the new post/bolt not real advantage, I just prefer to add the post/bolt instead of bending.
8p7pHKk.jpg

In my case with the tabs full removed the actuator will hit the core when the air flap is full open.
If you check Tim (Fiatmonkey) thread he have the same issue.
Reference link:
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/diy-heater-core-replacement-using-124-core.35359/

Yves
I guess mine will not open completely. Thanks for the good explanation.

I have a real radiator rebuild shop in Hagerstown that works mainly with cars and farm equipment. They have done a lot of work for me in the last 30 years. The said the heater could not be recored and be reliable and they never turn down business.
Good to know. :oops:

For information at Auto Ricambi US they have two version of heater core for 124.

Heater Core Late 1972 to 1985 Sku: HE6-402 Thickness of 65mm
https://autoricambi.us/heater-core-late-1972-85/

Heater Core 1966 to Early 1972 Sku: HE6-410 Thickness of 45mm
https://autoricambi.us/heater-core-1966-to-early-1972/
HE6-410-a__26653.1558710200.jpg

Info: Original X19 heater core have thickness of ~51mm

The one I bought is the late 1972 to 1985 thickness of 65 mm.

For the version 1966 to 1972 the thickness is less then the original "X" core ... very interesting the only thing we must know is the length, width and inlet outlet if are useable for our car. We need someone willy to try when they will have a heater core issue.

Yves

Anyone have data on the AC heater core dimensions? Is it the same part as a non AC car or something custom?

I have both an AC and non AC car.

Anyone have data on the AC heater core dimensions? Is it the same part as a non AC car or something custom?
Good question. I always assumed the A/C core is different. As you know it has a completely different valve and box. But I suppose that does not necessarily mean the core is also different (although I suspect it is). I haven't looked at the part number listings, do they have different P/N's?

I have both an AC and non AC car.

AC setup is completely different - the evaporator goes where the heater is located on a non AC car. I can add dimensions here.

Also, Yves original core looks like it has plastic header tanks? I didn't think Fiat used that design back in the 70's...

UaaiWGE.jpg

So I'm doing the heater core on my x. The core that came out of my box measured 46mm.
20210606_175121.jpg

I have a 124 core I was going to try to fit, but after seeing the one from autoricambi, I'm going to go with that. Based on the fact I have a 45mm core from my car, I think it will be safe to try the one from AR. I'll let you guys know when I get it.

I looked at the Lada cores hoping to find a replacement for my "A/C" type heater core. But I did not see anything that will work for that one. However it appears to be a direct fit for the non-A/C core. Let us know how it goes Mark. ;)

I have trouble finding the thing I am after on their site as well.

Need to trudge through again.
I bought a Lada heater core to use on my next rebuild. Will work on both my 124 & X1/9.
Thanks Mark for finding and sharing them.

I have trouble finding the thing I am after on their site as well.

Need to trudge through again.

Thanks Mark for finding and sharing them.
It is a bit difficult to find things on the site. You almost have to walk through every listing for every model. And they add new things all the time, so even if there wasn't a "AC style" core before, there may be later.

However I don't know that there is such a thing for any Lada; the X's AC box is pretty unique, AC isn't big in Russia, and Lada's aren't necessarily Fiat clones, so I imagine they never had anything that is a direct replacement. In fact when I looked at their heater cores a year or so ago, they did not have the one that Mark posted (not that I found, and I searched the site pretty thoroughly). The majority of Lada heater cores were much larger than anything on a Fiat, and a very different configuration layout.

If you do find one that might work for a AC X1/9 please let me know. For now I did a repair to the leak on my old one. Testing shows it doesn't leak, but no idea how well that will hold up.

Back