Non AC Heater core Fiat 124/2000 in a "X"

I also used the slightly thinner 124 heater core to replace my X19 core ( 6MM thinner is approx 1/4 inch). I couldn’t see well enough to remove the cable to the floor vent without breaking something, so I did the core replacement with the lower box connected to the cable behind the center console. I did not find a need to make further mods to the assembly.

I did find it easier the glue the core to the free -floating plastic flange normally below it, then I used painter’s tape to secure the flange/core combo to the upper box. This made it easier the position and clip the lower box to the upper box (fewer things to manually align). Then I removed the excess visible tape.

I used pieces of 2x4 wood and 3/4 plywood to support the lower box while I re-installed the clips.

There may well be a better approach, but I hope these comments make it easier for someone else. It is one of numerous changes I’m doing at once, so it will be awhile before I can put real miles on this fix, but it looks promising.

Everything under the dash is PITA, but if I can do it, you can do it.

That's great to hear that the thinner (45mm) version works perfectly. So that is a early ('66 to '72) Fiat 124 core. This makes sense because the Lada core that was also found to fit (Mark's post #36) would be a clone of a early 124 Fiat. Apparently those two cores (early 124 and Lada) are the same as one another, and now we see also the same as the X1/9. Who knew?

Last edited:
Back