TJ puts a B in his X, k? - '78 B-Series Swap/Build

Just wanted to start a proper build thread here to document this farce… bit of background, I bought my X last spring and enjoyed tinkering with it and pounding around on the stock 1300 engine, but my goal from the start was to eventually swap the engine for something with more power, better drivability, and better reliability.

I read the many engine swap threads here to determine my path forward. It came down to either the B or K swap from Honda due to both of them being pretty well documented and proven. K swap is awesome but too expensive for me, and requires a fair bit of chopping and fabbing. So the B seemed like the obvious way forward. B series engines came in many 90s Hondas and have a big aftermarket and are simple and reliable units for the most part. Many of the good B engines are getting expensive now too, so I eventually settled on a non-VTEC B18 out of a DC4 Integra. This ran me $1k for the engine, 5-speed trans, headers, intake, one axle (other was no good) and some odds and ends. This should be good for 140hp (doubling the X) and is a simple setup. If I want to down the road, there is aftermarket stuff to boost the power and I could even go for the “poor man’s R” and slap a VTEC head on this for pretty cheap. Could also go turbo on the B18 if I wanted, but packaging and managing heat from the turbo would be a challenge in the tight X engine bay. But for me the B18 seemed like a good middle ground that gives me options.

So where are we at now? I ripped the X one last time, and parked it in my shop for the winter. I’ve got basically everything in the engine bay disconnected and all fluids drained, rear control arms off, and all that’s left to drop the engine is to remove the mounts and do the damn thing. Trying to dedicate Fridays to working on the swap each week and will document as I go.

Oh, I should mention I am just a shade tree mechanic and have wrenched on (and broken) many things but have never done a full engine swap before. 😅 but that’s the fun! Learning as we go and improving our skillset.

Attachments

• IMG_8213.jpeg
    IMG_8213.jpeg
    269.2 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_8214.jpeg
    IMG_8214.jpeg
    210.2 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_8252.jpeg
    IMG_8252.jpeg
    385.4 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_8253.jpeg
    IMG_8253.jpeg
    437.7 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_8251.jpeg
    IMG_8251.jpeg
    463.2 KB · Views: 185
Just wanted to start a proper build thread here to document this farce… bit of background, I bought my X last spring and enjoyed tinkering with it and pounding around on the stock 1300 engine, but my goal from the start was to eventually swap the engine for something with more power, better drivability, and better reliability.

I read the many engine swap threads here to determine my path forward. It came down to either the B or K swap from Honda due to both of them being pretty well documented and proven. K swap is awesome but too expensive for me, and requires a fair bit of chopping and fabbing. So the B seemed like the obvious way forward. B series engines came in many 90s Hondas and have a big aftermarket and are simple and reliable units for the most part. Many of the good B engines are getting expensive now too, so I eventually settled on a non-VTEC B18 out of a DC4 Integra. This ran me $1k for the engine, 5-speed trans, headers, intake, one axle (other was no good) and some odds and ends. This should be good for 140hp (doubling the X) and is a simple setup. If I want to down the road, there is aftermarket stuff to boost the power and I could even go for the “poor man’s R” and slap a VTEC head on this for pretty cheap. Could also go turbo on the B18 if I wanted, but packaging and managing heat from the turbo would be a challenge in the tight X engine bay. But for me the B18 seemed like a good middle ground that gives me options.

So where are we at now? I ripped the X one last time, and parked it in my shop for the winter. I’ve got basically everything in the engine bay disconnected and all fluids drained, rear control arms off, and all that’s left to drop the engine is to remove the mounts and do the damn thing. Trying to dedicate Fridays to working on the swap each week and will document as I go.

Oh, I should mention I am just a shade tree mechanic and have wrenched on (and broken) many things but have never done a full engine swap before. 😅 but that’s the fun! Learning as we go and improving our skillset.
Making a good start.

I presume most of processes will be much the same as Biswanger’s VTEC mod. I saw another member has completed his Kermit’s paint job on his H23 whose swap was described as: “cutting, welding, planning, frustration lol”

I am sure yours will be much the same. Happily this is a well documented swap so there won’t be as much invention but no lack of creation on your part.

Thank you for bringing us along!

Alright! You got this! I am very excited to see how this goes. I agree with Karl, thanks for including us in this! We are all here for you.

Thanks guys! I’ve read the Biswanger guide about a hundred times and @autox19 has graciously offered his knowledge so I feel like I’ve got a good grasp on what I need and how to do it.

This is an incredibly busy time of year for me work-wise so I haven’t had much time to do anything but I’ve been gathering parts. Plugs and wires, ECU, and gauge cluster all were acquired this week.

Are you Santa? You can tell us. 🎅
Actually, in a way...
My business is custom racing helmet design/painting, so I had quite a few projects going on to finish for Christmas presents (pulled a few all-nighters this week) and then winter is always nuts because it's the off-season for most racing, so everyone is trying to get stuff done before the season starts properly again. January has the Rolex 24 and IndyCar media days, and I have several clients in both of those series who need stuff done on tight timelines usually.

These were my projects this week that required me to sleep for only 2 hours over the past couple days.

Attachments

• IMG_8271.jpeg
    IMG_8271.jpeg
    262.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_8270.jpeg
    IMG_8270.jpeg
    254.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_8265.jpeg
    IMG_8265.jpeg
    261.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_8264.jpeg
    IMG_8264.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 67
Little milestone today (I know this is just the start) but the old Fiat 1.3 finally got evicted this afternoon.
IMG_8318.jpeg

Using a forklift and some ratchet straps we were able to pretty easily drop it out the bottom onto some dollies and then lift the rear of the car to scoot it out from underneath.

2747184B-82B5-4ABF-A320-62EA9C16A0DD.jpeg

9F700FBE-5D7B-4E0A-9A9B-5E97F064F90E.jpeg

E272578E-F044-4A54-A470-64159977D7ED.jpeg
9B90A4E1-4C64-4A2A-8859-E12326210FDD.jpeg

Not the OSHA approved method but it worked a treat. The forklift is going to come in mighty handy for positioning the new engine.

Aaaah, dang it I should have parsed out it was yours on FB. Looking forward to seeing your next steps.

Great to see this, really looking forward to watching your project. Now maybe those with greater knowledge can clarify this for me. My understanding was the K engine was more expensive to acquire but was easier to install in the X then then B engine. One reason being the exhaust in the K face rear ward while the B faced forward. I'm really interested in learn more on the B install.

Great to see this, really looking forward to watching your project. Now maybe those with greater knowledge can clarify this for me. My understanding was the K engine was more expensive to acquire but was easier to install in the X then then B engine. One reason being the exhaust in the K face rear ward while the B faced forward. I'm really interested in learn more on the B install.
I would read through Biswanger’s presentation on this subject, it is in BOX under Engine Swap. You will note at the top of this thread there is a Tag which will bring you to the list of BOX Engine Swap threads.

In general this is an easier swap than the K as fewer body modifications are needed. The biggest negative in my mind is all the plumbing hung off the back of the engine for the intake which on a FWD car is not an issue due to the firewall be quite far away. The X firewall for the trunk is very close by so part of it ends up in the trunk.

The other negative is the engine’s weight is now on the driver’s side along with the gas and potentially my fat butt. I have never seen a corner weighting listing to see how disproportionate this makes the left rear but it would seem to make a notably difference.

Odie aka autox19 has done this modification and hosts some great info. This is one part of the thread:
Post in thread 'Looking for more info on honda b16/18 swap.'
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index....e-info-on-honda-b16-18-swap.33283/post-314992

The B series engines are small, light and give good horsepower if a little light in the area of torque.

I would read through Biswanger’s presentation on this subject, it is in BOX under Engine Swap. You will note at the top of this thread there is a Tag which will bring you to the list of BOX Engine Swap threads.

In general this is an easier swap than the K as fewer body modifications are needed. The biggest negative in my mind is all the plumbing hung off the back of the engine for the intake which on a FWD car is not an issue due to the firewall be quite far away. The X firewall for the trunk is very close by so part of it ends up in the trunk.

The other negative is the engine’s weight is now on the driver’s side along with the gas and potentially my fat butt. I have never seen a corner weighting listing to see how disproportionate this makes the left rear but it would seem to make a notably difference.

Odie aka autox19 has done this modification and hosts some great info. This is one part of the thread:
Post in thread 'Looking for more info on honda b16/18 swap.'
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index....e-info-on-honda-b16-18-swap.33283/post-314992

The B series engines are small, light and give good horsepower if a little light in the area of torque.
One if the things I wish I did, which TJ might be able to do. Is see how it balances from the mid point. Most transverse Engine/trans do not have the mid point at the engine/trans. In this case, where I mounted it, you can see it is into the engine a bit. The tape measure is from strut mount to strut mount being 39 inches. So 19.5 inches is the 1/2 way. Honestly I think a full tank (about 75 lbs full) is more of a balance issue as it changes as you have different amounts in there.

20231230_182954.jpg
20231230_182959.jpg

Odie

One if the things I wish I did, which TJ might be able to do. Is see how it balances from the mid point. Most transverse Engine/trans do not have the mid point at the engine/trans. In this case, where I mounted it, you can see it is into the engine a bit. The tape measure is from strut mount to strut mount being 39 inches. So 19.5 inches is the 1/2 way. Honestly I think a full tank (about 75 lbs full) is more of a balance issue as it changes as you have different amounts in there.

View attachment 80078View attachment 80079

Odie
Good points

Not too much to report other than I cut out the panel between trunk and engine bay, removed all the nasty heat shielding against the firewall, and trimmed off the overflow tank brackets. The wiring portion of this project is very intimidating to me, so I’m hesitant to tear into it too much because A. I don’t know what I’m doing and B. The previous owners clearly were not wiring experts either.

I cheated and went with a rywire standalone harness.

Odie
You go with this one? I think I need to go with the KISS method for all electrical. If that means an expensive standalone harness, so be it.
Race style with no VTEC for me. My engine is out of an '01 so it's OBD2.
No real progress in the past week, just ordering parts mostly. We had a big snowstorm so daycare was canceled and I was stuck at home on my "Fiat Friday".

You go with this one? I think I need to go with the KISS method for all electrical. If that means an expensive standalone harness, so be it.
Race style with no VTEC for me. My engine is out of an '01 so it's OBD2.
No real progress in the past week, just ordering parts mostly. We had a big snowstorm so daycare was canceled and I was stuck at home on my "Fiat Friday".
yup yup. I agree it isnt cheap, but their quality and service is top notch.
Odie

Progress is slow, but things are happening.

Honing my welding skills (let’s pretend I ever had any) lately with rust repairs in the engine bay. Fortunately just two spots that needed patching. My welding is like a 2/10 but my grinding is like a 7/10 so we have a halfway decent job at the end.
IMG_8678.jpeg

IMG_8679.jpeg
IMG_8680.jpeg

Then we were finally able to start positioning the engine and getting an idea of where our mounts will go.
IMG_8681.jpeg

IMG_8685.jpeg

I also scrubbed the Honda engine down the other day and will be changing out the oil pan gasket too. I changed the accessory belt the other day too.

Next I will be figuring out the final engine position and cobbling together the mounts and painting the bay.

Feels like we are actually doing something now.

I've been ordering paint samples to do spray outs for the final color (which admittedly we are a long ways away from doing), which is a fun little mid-week pep to get me excited to keep doing the dirty work so I can eventually get to the paint part of the project.
I've been going back and forth for a long time on what color to do. I originally wanted to do Porsche Oak Green Metallic but in the past few weeks I have been leaning toward something a bit more daring (or obnoxious to some I'm sure) so have been ordering a lot of samples and mixing stuff up to try and get the right shade.
I think I may have settled on something, for now.
IMG_8712.JPG

This is Porsche Amethyst Metallic (paint code N6) which is basically exactly what I was looking for. Purple is my favorite color but a full-on royal purple car is a little too much in this instance I think. I don't want this thing to look like a 'hot boi' stanced Honda. So I wanted something with more red in it and a little more subtle. This is nice because it has beautiful flake in it and when the sun hits it's very bright. But in the shade it's pretty muted, almost black. This means the highlights and shadows of the car will be accentuated in the sun, but the color won't be so obnoxious as to ruin the classy nature of Giancarlo.
Plus, 'wine' seems appropriate for an Italian car.
Originally I wanted to do matte finish, as my inspiration was this restomod Integrale:
6%20Manhart%20Lancia%20Delta%20Integrale.jpg

But I think with the Amethyst color it would be too dark to do in matte. The flakes won't pop as strongly so the color will be really muted if I finish it in matte. Can always matte PPF it down the road if I want to.

Back