The Restoration of Mac-X (Book Version)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can tell this means a lot to you.

Thanks for posting the story Bob, kinda puts it all into prospective.

Bob, it's evident you're putting in a lot of effort, love, and sweat

in this project. It's about time you took a break and scheduled a business trip to the left coast. You've got plenty of friends out here.

Mike

Bob,

Will you be leaving, repainting it the orange color? I hope so, Looks so much better than the black. Love the color, you've done a great job.

Thanks,

Michael

Yes, Sunset Orange

That's the color it was born with. Sunset isn't my favorite color, but it's growing on me. :)
Mac's 75 X has to be that color though. It's part of the car's legacy and it was always Ian's wish to get this car back to a happier time.

I have all these parts around here and some coming from Midwest, (thank you Matt!) and I'm tempted to throw on the CD31 wheels, screw on the mirrors, snap on the trim and take photos.
From an outside view, I can make it look as if it's ready, but oohhh what a long way I have to go with this car! I'm really enjoying this project though. Thanks all for the encouragement.

Last edited:
Bob,,,

Have you seen the picture of Mac's X superimposed on a view of Seatle? I have it as my wallpaper, and remember Mac writing "it was the best color for the X 1/9? I don't know where I got it from.

Jim, I have seen it...

and I might have it, but just in case, could you post it here?
Thanks in advance.

Oh oh,

Was affraid you might ask that, I haven't got a clue how to do it. Managed to get it on my wallpaper a few years ago.??

Mac-X July 10 2011 update

Actually, the bulk of what I'll be sharing this evening will be almost a week old. I've been putting in MANY hours on this project and will be posting another update in a few days, but I wanted to share my progress and a pleasant surprise.

The outside of Mac-X is now void of any black paint, so now the task at hand was to strip the black paint from the inside. Mac's Dad was really thorough with applying black to anything that showed sunset orange. This included underneath the doors, behind the air screens (both front and sides) inside the engine bay, under the trunk lids etc. I found that cleaning these areas was / is much harder than the outside. I guess I should have started cleaning the inside first... :(

So, starting with the rear boot lid, using an old toothbrush to get into the cracks, I went at it.

rearhood1.jpg

This was the finished result... (not too bad... and no rust! Yay! :woot:

rearhood2.jpg

Next was the trunk area.

Here's a photo of the trunk area, exactly as received when Greg shipped the car to me. Nothing unusual but a bonus set of safety tow chains laying on the trunk mat. :)

trunk1.jpg

So the first thing I did was get out the vacuum cleaner, remove the chains and bits then started cleaning. I started to remove the rubber mat when I saw a License plate exactly as shown in this photo:

trunk2.jpg

I couldn't believe what I was seeing so I grabbed my camera to take these photos. For those on the NorthWest coast, this plate will look very familiar.

I don't know this in fact, but from everything I've read, this plate was the last registration tag on Mac's 1975 X1/9. Finding this buried treasure really made my day. A gift in a sense. This plate will once again be mounted on the back of this car when it's completed. (the picture doesn't show but it cleaned up very nicely)

macslictag.jpg

Removing all that was in the rear trunk revealed this:

trunk3.jpg

And when all was said and done, (like a full day later!) the trunk looked like this:

trunk4.jpg

I tried everything to get the black off the rear panel, but it wasn't coming off easily so I left it for the painter. I think it got baked on there from the engine heat? (?) Anyway, I was plenty pleased with the result. I don't see too many trunks that look this good in a 1975 X.

trunk5.jpg

Even the gas fill section and rear left quarter looks pretty decent after cleaning. I removed the old factory putty and cleaned as best I could. There is some surface rust, but nothing major. Overall, in pretty good shape.

dsfillsection.jpg

dstrunk2.jpg

The passenger's side section (where the bosch ignition ECU would normally sit) looked pretty good too. Minimal rust, all surface and minor.

psfillsection.jpg

The passenger's side rear trunk quarter suffered a little more, probably because the jack was in there along with (maybe) some tools, but overall, just surface rust, nothing major and all panels are solid. A little sand blasting and smoothing should make these areas look great once more.

pstrunk2.jpg

Well, that's the update so far. I have more to add soon, as I've been working on the front section this weekend and things haven't fared quite so well as with the rear section. More on that on my next post.

This project is slow, but it's shaping up.

What a find!
I like the font they used for that plate! And Washington only had the Centennial Celebration line on their plates from 1987-1990.

I talked to Leslie today about your project. She's really looking forward to seeing it finally completed someday, even if it's only in pictures. I assured her it was in very capable hands. :thumbsup:

Bob,

You truly are a magician!

I hope you find a pouch of diamonds in the fender wells....:)

Slow my foot...

It may seem like it from your angle, but from over here it seems like it's coming along nicely. You've made great progress!

What a find, the plate. :thumbsup:

I am really curious what product you used to remove that old paint yet preserve the orange... I dig that color by the way... I am thinking my 850 would look good that color...:thumbsup:

I believe it is covered extensively...

I am really curious what product you used to remove that old paint yet preserve the orange... I dig that color by the way... I am thinking my 850 would look good that color...:thumbsup:

Earlier in the thread that Bob is using MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone).

Pete

Earlier in the thread that Bob is using MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone).

Pete

I think this stuff is good for everything from causing skin and lung cancer to removing house paint on X1/9's to even sending small primates into space. Great stuff :huh2:

Is it known to...

I think this stuff is good for everything from causing skin and lung cancer to removing house paint on X1/9's to even sending small primates into space. Great stuff :huh2:

the state of California to send small primates into space or something?

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back