The Restoration of Mac-X (Book Version)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it known to the state of California to send small primates into space or something?

Pete

:read:....:nod:.. yep!

I think this is the stuff my grandfather said they used to clean out the fuel tanks on KC-135 and C-141's back in the day...maybe it was something else :huh: Anyway Bob is a champ for getting near it w/o a rubber suit :thumbsup:

Maybe that would help me to remove all of the overspray off of my Lift in the garage... Still have tons of junk from years of abuse...:thumbsup:

Remember, Bob is using it...

Maybe that would help me to remove all of the overspray off of my Lift in the garage... Still have tons of junk from years of abuse...:thumbsup:

To remove house paint. In other words, 1 part, or non-catalyzed paint. If the paint on your lift is 2-part (catalyzed, in other words a hardener was mixed in), then there's no solvent gonna get that off of there. At least, not without removing the original lift paint.

It works in Bobs application to remove the non-catalyzed house paint but leave the catalyzed car paint relatively undisturbed.

Pete

Well, by all intent

The worst of it is over. I over-exposed myself to the MEK last weekend, worked 9 hours continuously with the stuff. Overexposed not from vapor, but from physical exposure. Wearing gloves is a major necessity when working with that stuff, but even those can (and do!) absorb the chemical to the degree that it permeates into the rubber and starts into your skin without you even knowing it. By the time I realized it, my hands had started swelling and burning all over. But I survived ... immediately after removing the gloves to look at my irritated hands, the swelling subsided within minutes and all was ... swell. :thumbsup: :hrmph:

All that's left regarding any cleaning of black paint is behind and underneath the doors, places where you can't really see unless you're really searching. I won't be posting that detail but will post the front of the car maybe tonight or tomorrow night.

Joe, if I find any diamonds, I gotta send them to Leslie.
I did find shards of glass from when Mac broke out the windshield. Does that count? :sun:

Looking great.. Say can you post a pic of the vin Tag in the front trunk that shows the Paint code???:thumbsup:

Paint code query...

...answered coupla days ago in Bumper thread.
Might'swell put'er here too...

Quoting...
"paint # 299 Sunset Orange, 75-76 only on X1/9.
Same color as MacX.
Same color I'll use on my RaceX, in Mac's memory.
Quintessential '70s color.
Right there with Lime Green."

She's the diamond

Bob, the little Mac-X WILL be the diamond when you're finished, I hope I can stand the emotions when I finally get to see it finished, remembering how Ian loved it and spent so many happy hours driving it. So if you find a bag of real diamonds you can keep them, you've earned them, and I hope you don't absorb any more of that bad stuff into your hands or lungs, Leslie.

Nose cone

Bob: The usual attention to detail that you have accustomed us to expect from you. I cannot wait to see more.

I have a nose cone in great condition that I would be glad to ship up to you, if you have not located one. Let me know.

Kindest regards,
Allen

Thanks Allen -

Thanks for the offer regarding the nose cone, but I do have a good one available on the parts car I bought.
Pictures of that will start when I begin the chop-session on the 1985 donor. :jedi:

Hi Leslie,

Bob, the little Mac-X WILL be the diamond when you're finished, I hope I can stand the emotions when I finally get to see it finished, remembering how Ian loved it and spent so many happy hours driving it. So if you find a bag of real diamonds you can keep them, you've earned them, and I hope you don't absorb any more of that bad stuff into your hands or lungs, Leslie.

Glad you're still checking in on X-Web, the REAL diamond here. The shiny one . . . :sun:
From a practical level, I'm all done with the MEK. Small touch-ups are all that is left, so future exposure to that stuff is minimal at best and I'm quite happy about that.

My hope is that someday you get a chance to ride or drive Ian's 1975 X1/9. This will likely be a few years out though.
My goal is to someday return Ian's 1975 X1/9 back to Seattle, but with a touch of many of X-Web folk's ideas, parts contributions, artwork and blood/sweat/tears etc. (I've been working hard on the b/s/t part :))
Fixing up the body of the car is going to be an indoor winter project, so if all goes to plan, maybe mid to late next summer will be the earliest it will be completed. Lots to do though! But completing the car's body really set's the stage for restoration. It becomes an upward-build from that point on.

I'll be posting the last of the car's black paint strip-down photos tonight, check it out if you get a chance.
From here on it's complete dis-assembly and body work.

Great to see you visit here Leslie! Check in often! :hug:

Don't worry Bob

Therty yearz ago i werked in elektrostatik paynt boof [stops typing to wipe drool from side of mouth]. I kleen paynt gun wif MEK mani time evry dai an I stil ok. :p

Mac-X Update July 12

This will be the last update regarding the paint removal and body damage portion of the Mac-X restoration. From here out, I'll be removing literally every mounted part of this car, sans a few bits on the bottom that hold the suspension. As you will see, the front fared far worse than any other part of the car. I will explain as I show you what I have found...

Starting with a photo of the front cover, this cleaned up nicely with the only damage done to the driver's side corner, (shown top left) up front. Minimal damage really, and not too concerning.

frontcoverg.jpg

But things change with the lid removed. Here is a couple of photo of how things started. With the black paint, things don't look too bad. Pretty much carbon copy of the rest of the car. (or so I thought)

fronttrunk1.jpg

Here is another view, looking directly into the front wall area. Still not too bad...

fronttrunk2.jpg

Now we peel up the front mat and hmmm... things aren't quite so clean-looking...

fronttrunk3.jpg

... 9 hours later, the trunk is clean (yay!) but what is revealed doesn't look so good. The base of the front trunk really suffered from corrosion. You'll notice the battery box doesn't isn't looking so good either. To the center of the photo, you can see rust has corroded the round hole. Same to the left side, but not quite as severe. This panel will be tricky to repair or replace.

fronttrunk4.jpg

fronttrunk5.jpg

Here's a (somewhat) better look at the battery box. You can't see it so well, but there are several holes on the surface of the metal that go all the way through. This one's definitely got to be replaced.

batterybox.jpg

Looking toward the front of the car, things don't appear so bad. Until I started taking measurements...

fronttrunk6.jpg

I noticed from measuring the undamaged Donor car that there was a 0.75 inch difference between the bumper shock mounts on Mac-X. And when I stepped back, I realized that the accident that destroyed the left-front bumper had pushed things in a lot harder than previously thought. It actually compressed the nose cone by nearly 0.5 inch.
Looking down from the inside of the trunk, you see (arrow) an oval hole that has been warped by the movement of the inner fender.

benddamage1.jpg

Looking at the nose cone itself, dead-center in the front you see more compression

benddamage2.jpg

And at the left front corner, lots of areas that got compromised. (arrows below)

benddamage3.jpg

I haven't got updated pictures, but I spent nearly an hour stretching the bumper shock mount back to it's original position and removing the kinks (shown above) in the metal back to nearly perfect position.

In doing all this, I am beginning to feel that the body work portion is really out of my league. I can take apart, put together, whatever, every way from Sunday but I'm not an auto body man. I admit it.

So I did a little searching and found someone local who does car restoration for a living. (he does street rod restoration) He came over, looked at the X over the course of about 30 minutes. I showed him what needed to be done, told him I'd deliver a stripped out car and expected to receive a "beautified" stripped out car back with all panels repaired or replaced. (I was surprised how much cost difference the paint selection alone makes) So the deal is, I buy the paint and materials, he repairs, replaces, welds, finishes and paints up a show car. (I say show car but this one will be driven) I dare not say what this will cost, as the cost is expensive but will be less expensive (and a better job) by letting him do it between jobs starting late October through next March. Roughly an April (or sooner) delivery. I'll supply him with all pre-cut or new panels and he'll make it all happen. I have seen many examples of his work and I can say it'll be 1000 times better than anything I could ever do on my best day. I've yet to see anyone do better than our own Bob Turchan but given the 3000 + mile difference, I'll have to settle. :) I believe this to be the right decision and proactive to getting Mac-X back on the road.

So from here on, I'll be removing all existing parts, engine, wire harness, cooling, etc.etc. and getting Mac-X ready to roll out of here sometime in October. I'm hoping to take 1 more set of photos before she leaves, then make occasional trips to the body shop showing progress.

Lots of work still left to do so I'll keep you all updated.

Sorry for the lengthy posts.

Last edited:
Your not concerned with a little distortion are ya Bob? That'll buff rite out :rolleyes:

Btw if your walking away from the resto shop from anywhere between 3-5K your doin alright and saving money in the long run. Good choice :thumbsup:

Mac-X Update, July 18, D/L warn

Got a BIG task completed last weekend. Finally pulled the engine.
I started out by checking the oil level. Level looked good. Even showed amber color on the stick. (read on!)

I drained the transmission fluid. No real issues there and for sitting for such a long time, all the transmission oil that came out looked quite clean.
I pulled the oil plug to the engine, and I discovered why the engine oil looked amber.... It was rusty water! Ouch! After which followed by lumpy chunky very dark oily goo. :blackeye: You'll notice in the photo that follows, the distributor was out, so my best guess is that this engine was sitting open to the elements for a while. (reading some of Mac's posts indicated this was the case while he was trying to find a home to store it) Anyway, I dragged it out from under the car over pieces of wood and here's what I've got:

engineout4sm.jpg

You'll also see a missing starter motor and a few minor bits but for the most, the engine is all there. I can only assume at this stage that the engine is trashed.

engineout3sm.jpg

Here's an overall photo of when I pulled it:

engineout2sm.jpg

Another issue I noticed was that the cross bar holding the lower engine support brace was showing some pretty serious rust. The jury's not out yet regarding replacement but, I'm hoping it hasn't rusted through. The back side in the engine compartment looks completely rust free, but this cross bar . . . :hrmph:

crossbarsm.jpg

Next, I pulled out the gas tank only to find a surprise...
It looked like the gas tank totally imploded. It still had about 3 gallons of gas left inside, but by the looks of things it apparently had no way for air to get in. :confused: Here's a photo of 3 sides... you get the idea. So, the tank is ruined. Fortunately, I have a couple spares. :)

macxtanksm.jpg

With that, all I have left is to finish cleaning out the rest of the bits in and around the engine compartment, and whatever other rubber / plastic parts are floating around. Then it's off to the Body Shop in October. More on that before she goes.

So this gives me plenty of time to start dis-assembling and categorizing parts from the donor car. I won't bore you with photos of that, but I will be asking the community some questions regarding Mac-X's power plant as this project moves forward.

Thanks for watching!

Thanks for the update..

Too bad about the engine!

That tank is something else, this can happen if you delete the evaporative emissions stuff without being thoughtful. :(

A friend in my Seattle area rally club back in the day ran a G60 powered Scirocco Mk1 in the Alcan 1000. Something blocked the vent line and the tank got sucked down to a 2 or 3 gallon capacity. Had to wait and order another overnight. A fuel pump is a powerful thing.

Too bad about the engine Bob

Just another reason to go with the 1500FI. :)

Great work Bob!

Let me know if you need anything, I have spares!

As for engine work, R&L here in Dover does an exceedingly awesome job!

Imploding tank

I'm willing to bet this had everything to do with this: (tank connection shown prior to disassembley)

emissionblock.jpg

The only way for air to get in would be at the gas cap. :sad: Ahh well, no big loss. I'll install a FI tank anyway, that way I can do the emissions thing and electric pump setup without a hassle. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back