Anyone Bought The Prima Big Brakes From Vics?

lookforjoe

True Classic
Was looking at the VICKs link for rear suspension bushings posted in another current thread - and they have a brake upgrade kit (that still workes with 13" wheels..) for under $500 with new slider style calipers, vented rotors, etc. Looks nice. Wondering if anyone has tried them?

Will look forward to reading this, Pete...!

....I'll do a full report once installed.....

....I'm keen to hear if the OE brake master cyl has sufficient capacity to work with this mod, i.e. being able to maintain normal pedal height under hard brake application.

cheers, Ian - NZ

Maurice Thomson Motors

G'day Lawsa, I bought an Uno Turbo front brake kit from Maurice Thomson about 10 years ago that bolted on in about an hour. They were fantastic.

I also bought a set of big valves from him. But a quick check suggests that MTM doesn't do anything like anymore.

Cheers,

Rob

Looks good but... Can you weigh it?

I would like to get the WEIGHT difference. New and old caliper and brake rotor versus the old stuff. The larger solid disc is a lot heavier so I suspect this large vented one is also. Not that it is a big deal for a street car.
Bob T

Maurice Thomson.......!

G'day Rob, mate!!
Yep, Maurice is still in the Fiat business - I've bought the last couple of cambelt + bearing kits for my X from him - very knowledgable bloke!
Re my query on the brake upgrade kit that Pete has posted, I was just wondering if the OE brake master cylinders on our X's have sufficient 'fluid capacity' to fill the new brake calipers (possibly with larger pistons, etc) without requiring a longer brake pedal stroke.
I recall doing kinda similar brake modifications on Ford Mk2 Zephyrs (probably before you were born, Rob, heh :wink2: ) going from drum-to-disc upgrades - which resulted in the brake pedal just about hitting the floor pan under heavy braking :shock:.
Will be interested to see how Pete's brake upgrade turns out!

cheers, Ian - NZ

That's probably more to do with the fact that you went from low volume wheel cylinders to calipers with large pistons.

I wouldn't expect any issue going from caliper to caliper - they're not that different in size & still single piston setup.

I went from stock Volvo calipers to BIG Porsche 4-pot calipers on all four corners on my wagon, and no diminished pedal feel. I would expect if any issue arises it would be simply from the age of the original master cyl.

Last edited:
I have these on my 124 Spider and Scorpion. Mine were from Classic Ricambi; but the same parts.

I like these much more than the "other" popular brake upgrade I tried.

What is the component weight like? Those brackets look pretty chunky.

I think I'd go with standard vented rotors. Cross drilled tend to heat crack.

I didn't weigh them, but I think they're comparable to the stock setup. Maybe a little more; but the rotors are larger in diameter.
I didn't really want the drilled rotors, but that's the only way they were available from the source when I bought them quite a few years ago.

Went ahead & ordered them. Sale only runs through October. I know I'm not happy with the stock brakes. Once I have my built motor up & running, I expect I'll be even less so. I was considering ways to make Volvo calipers work, but making adaptor brackets would definitely shift the wheel sizing into the 15" ballpark, and I just don't have the time at the moment to play with that. Now, question is what to do about the rear setup? :)

in a few days. I'll do a full report once installed.

Pete

Pete,

If you remember to weigh them please do - or I can just call VICs I suppose :)

Do we know what options there are for pads? The only issue I have with the wilwood kit is the lack of softer pads. The softest pads are so hard they affect brake bias now and I notice my rear pads wearing a lot more than they should.

These look like a great option...

No doubt about that.......!

....That's probably more to do with the fact that you went from low volume wheel cylinders to calipers with large pistons.....

Yep, we were awake to that!
We used Girling (UK) single piston calipers which, back in the day (mid-1960's), were about the only available disc-brake conversion equipment on the local market (ex-Jaguar from memory).
The conversion gave HUGE braking improvement for every-day driving conditions, but when our cars went onto the track on the weekends with a LOT more call on braking requirements, that rapidly "dropping brake pedal" was a bit heart-stopping :eek:!!

cheers, Ian - NZ

The kit price includes a great street pad from the same Italian company that supplies our street pads for stock brakes. Plus, they include anti-squeal pads. I'm really happy with them.

We also have EBC Greenstuff pads as a higher-temp option, if you need it.

About the pedal feel and brake bias: we put some thought into that. :cool: The calipers that we went with were actually carefully selected for their piston diameter and effective braking force by fluid volume. This caliper has a lot to like, such as the smart removable-piston design, and ease of pad installation, but that was the deciding factor.

In other words, the Prima brakes should work very nicely with your existing rear brakes, because that's what they're designed to do. They maintain stock pedal travel and nearly stock brake bias. Or, if you're unsatisfied with your rear brakes, we'll probably be coming out with a Prima rear brake setup before too long (which will offer 50/50 bias).

On the issue of weight differences, I'm not certain that many could tell the difference in handling or acceleration between the stock brakes and Primas. The Prima caliper and carrier comes in at 6 lbs, vs a stock caliper and carrier at about 5.5lbs+hardware. Of course, a vented rotor is going to be somewhat heavier than solid, but I have a hard time believing that the empirical benefits don't significantly outweigh the small amount of added rotating mass. In addition to that, Fiat used vented rotors and this type of caliper in front of all of their similarly sized sport models following the sunset of the X, with excellent results.

Happy to answer any other questions, and I'm looking forward to your writeup, Pete. :D

Last edited:
So what is the actual caliper piston size in mm?

The Swept area effective radius?

The pad area (in mm square)

and we can do our own math....

SteveC

Piston sizes are

So what is the actual caliper piston size in mm?

The Swept area effective radius?

The pad area (in mm square)

and we can do our own math....

SteveC

48mm for stock X1/9, 54mm for the Prima setup as far as I can tell. About a 26% increase in square area (and therefore fluid volume).

Not sure about the other figures.

Pete

What is the actual size of the larger rotors in the Prima bake kit? I believe stock rotors are 9" compared to the larger Prima rotors at ..."

'PeteX1/9

I would appreciate it if we could, figuratively speaking, put the brakes on the speculation. :grin:

While I'm not giving away too much more information, I will say that the factory rotors are a bit shy of 9", and the Prima rotors are 9.5". Also, the Prima piston is significantly smaller than 54mm. This caliper is functionally very similar to the Uno Turbo caliper favored by many, and uses a 48mm piston.

Overall, brake bias is increased just a touch in the front, but road tests have shown very favorable results. Beyond that, Pete and Hussein will just have to weigh in with their experience on an actual car.

No problem...

I would appreciate it if we could, figuratively speaking, put the brakes on the speculation. :grin:

Just send them on! :)

All my data gathering was based on the assumption that this system was based on the Abarth 500 system. Apparently I am mistaken on some points.

I am glad to hear the piston size has not varied, I was a bit concerned about that.

Thanks,
Pete

Back